Do You Feel Bad When Harvesting

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by colafarmer, Aug 11, 2010.

1. #1 colafarmer, Aug 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2010
    After growing and tendering my plants for several months I feel bad that I have to put them under the knife and really think twice before I whack it and hang to dry....Of course when I load the bowl all is forgotten and no remource is felt...

You growers feel the same or, am I just an isolated case....Give me a hell ya or, na

• Like Like x 1
  2. I feel horrible Bout killing the males . I have a male right.now and I can't bring myself to kill him. I feel like I'm killing my baby . Even if it is a male

• Like Like x 1
  3. Hell ya i feel bad =[ I give lots of love and care to my babies and chopping hurts a bit =[ :(

• Like Like x 1
  4. I care for them like a mo fo as well, but I am nothing but excited to chop those babies down and get to business.

Money, time, and labor all go into to it, and I certainly have a love for them, but when it comes to harvest there is no such concern. It is one of the greatest gifts to have a bountiful harvest.

It is weird, thinking back on the last gorw and harvest, I pretty much had reverence for the procuts at all of its life stages.

Growing was great, harvesting was awesome, drying was mystical, and even as I pull big juicy buds out of my glass jars now months later, I still like to hold it up in the light and give it a nice gander.

The feeling of legally growing and enjoying your own herb is extremely satisfying I must say.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. i'm jsut doing my first grow so i havent actually harvested yet. but you have to consider that you gave that mj the best life it could have hoped for (aside from having children. but if you clone its all good, the generation lives on :)).

i felt bad when i ripped my males... they didnt get a long helathy life, their lives were cut short.

but we must consider, we brought them into this world, we can take them out.

6. I would feel the exact same way man. I'm thinking about growing but I wouldnt want to go through killing them after caring for my babies for months :(

7. I don't feel bad. I'm so pumped that they are finished and I'm ready to get them trimmed, dried & cured to see my final product.

8. The only thing that makes me feel bad about chopping is thinking about the upcoming trimming session. Enjoying the finished (dead) product is what makes the months of caring for the plant worthwhile.

Edit: Sorry just realized this is an old thread.

9. Nope. Harvesting is the best part. Sure i'll miss the plant, but the whole point of growing is for the prime herb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ya i wish we didn't have to kill them and they would keep growing and making new buds all time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. old subject but timeless topic.. im harvesting this weekend.. and i look at my plants and feel a feeling of regret... like cannabalizing my best friend or daughter ... i just nurtured my plants from seed to 7 feet tall and now im gonna kill them, chop them up, remove their sex organs, and then dry, cure, and smoke em.. its amazingly savage when you boil it down that way.. plus its gonna leave a void now.. i wont have gorgeous plants to look at while i blaze for a while.. sad.. i like gettin lit and just observing my bud filled plants sometimes lol..

• Like Like x 2
  12. I piss and moan the entire time I'm trimming, then miss it when it's over and can't wait for the next season.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Haha im glad im not the only one who hates killing them, even males. It feels awful in the down time between gardens. I'm flushing now and chopping in 9 days from now, im not to worried about killing these tho im totally out of buds. Been smoking the tiny premature branches i cut of a few weeks ago. Those branches didnt stretch as high as id hoped so they had to be cut and thats what im smoking lol one turned super sour tasting after it dried out for 11 days. Its a beautiful taste and woof its super premature but it was still potent enough for a paranoia feel to it. Itll be a head banger when its done. The frost is thicker than ive ever seen in my life.

• Like Like x 1
  14. weed is utilitarian, like cows & pigs. My issue is with cut flowers, flowers are their sex organs, its like 'gelding the lilly' (groan)

15. i feel bad for the unfulfilled males i have had to terminate early, but when it comes to uprooting the females, i just think about my ex.... :)

hanging upside down for a few weeks in the garage, then stashing in jars beneath the counter to be called upon for momentary satisfaction throughout the year... it all works.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Lol..
    Love the ex thing..

And ive been smokin a couple weeks too.. but thats cause my plants went abt a month past their supposed done time.. im almost week 12 of flower lol..

17. Everything is meant to die, whether it is natural causes or not.
    Feels horrible killing another living thing, but having the bud for pleasure or medicine is helping us out, so its justified.
    Cloning is paying homage to a great plant,so it lives on! :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. I harvest with happiness because I am always ready to go with the next grow. Harvesting doesn't bother me one bit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. You don't have to kill them. 4/5 times if you leave the lower buds and leaves and change lighting back to at least 18/6 they will start to reveg in about a month. Just keep watering when dry with a small dose of veg nutes. Then you can grow them back out and flower them again or take clones if you want.