Do you do it?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by thabosshogg, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Or does it do you?

I am inclined to believe the latter is true.... The other day as I sat in a meditation observing my thoughts, I realized that I don't think, thinking is an event that happens without any intervention on my part.

We can follow our thoughts, or not follow our thoughts...if we follow the thoughts they lead to more thoughts, which lead to more thoughts, which often lead you to a place which is barely related to the thought you started with. If we don't follow them, other thoughts will appear, and eventually the appearence of thought becomes less frequent of an event....until finally thought seems to fade away naturally and we are left in silence.

So, thought happens, we don't "do" thought. Likewise almost all of our actions could be considered natural impulses... we walk here, we do this, we do that... because we "feel" like it, but then our feelings and thoughts choose those things for us.

Alan Watts once said, if you are looking through a slit in a fence, and a snake slithers by, you will see the head first, then the long body, then the tail. If you knew nothing about snakes you would say that the head is the cause of the tail, just as we often say that the past is the cause for the present. But if you could simply look over the fence and see the snake without the perspective through the tiny slit, you would see that it is a head-tailed snake all at the same time, and that you just experienced different parts of its body in fragments, going from head to tail. The snake moves forwards naturally, thus you see, or experience, the head first and then the tail...

So, we can surrender with the flow and have the experience without having to own it, or we can pretend we are the actors and try to possess the experience which by its very nature is transient and fleeting.... the choice is yours, or is it? Many feel that they have to own their story.... they identity "me" more with the past and future than with the present. But the sum of our existence in this present moment is all that we are, everything else is a concept, not a reality.

2. Very good young grasshopper.

3. I have the uncanny ability to tame my thoughts. My thoughts are the unicorn to which I am the rider. You are the rainbow.

4. The only problem is sense perception. Without any senses we wouldnt have any thoughts or we wouldnt have a basis of what a thought is in the first place. Its almost like after your given all these sense perceptions that govern your world, you can let go of them or fuck with them, but every non-sense thought you have is based on a memory dealing with a sense. Its just a holographic universe inside our minds pretty much, we only see what this "holograph" can pick up, everything else beyond our comprehension... dealin with different energy frequencies and dimensional shit there though...

Maybe after we are relieved of our turtle shell like bodies we can be released into the ocean of pure energy that runs this crazy bitch we call da universe.

• Like Like x 1
  5. at tha same time

6. very nice, good post.

7. "In seeing there is no seer,
    nor that which is seen.
    There is only sight."

8. Good read, OP, and sounds very good, "to surrender with the flow", but not everyone has the time to be stoned all day...

:D

9. Yeah, but what if I don't know how to swim?

10. I agree. I haven't smoked in months.

My sentiments were the product of an entirely sober mind.

11. Then you must have a lot of free time... I envy you man...

12. Your soul has been swiming your entire existence of life. Your ego is just dipping its toes in though. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, but it does to me.. :confused_2:

13. I would think if we were put in the ocean of life and we didn't know how to swim, then we would just learn to swim as life goes...

14. #15 Thelightislove, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2011
    BTW, OP, I think we doth both. It's the cyclical karma of existence. We should be aware of the doing, or else we only do.

As to your post GGrass: I think these lyrics do pretty well at explaining it:

One great big festering neon distraction,
    I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.

Learn to swim.

Mom's gonna fix it all soon.
    Mom's comin' round to put it back the way it ought to be.

Learn to swim.

Fuck L Ron Hubbard and
    Fuck all his clones.
    Fuck all those gun-toting
    Hip gangster wannabes.

Learn to swim.

Fuck retro anything.
    Fuck your tattoos.
    Fuck all you junkies and
    Fuck your short memory.

Learn to swim.

Fuck smiley glad-hands
    With hidden agendas.
    Fuck these dysfunctional,
    Insecure actresses.

Learn to swim.

Cuz I'm praying for rain
    And I'm praying for tidal waves
    I wanna see the ground give way.
    I wanna watch it all go down.
    Mom please flush it all away.
    I wanna watch it go right in and down.
    I wanna watch it go right in.
    Watch you flush it all away.

Time to bring it down again.
    Don't just call me pessimist.
    Try and read between the lines.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't
    Welcome any change, my friend.

I wanna see it all come down.
    suck it down.
    flush it down.

Aenema: Tool

15. Or you could be honest and admit that we would drown.

16. metaphorically speaking, yes we would drown.

17. I think what you say is true for most people but not for all. Good post though.

18. #19 GGrass, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2011
    We could drown, I suppose, but then it wouldn't be called the sea of life would it? It would be called the sea of death instead.

-
    -
    -

Alright. We could drown. Which would suckbecause it's not cool being dead...

19. Well it doesn't have to be dead from my metaphoric perspective.. I was thinking "lost". Hopeless.