Do you believe we are insignificant?

Discussion in 'General' started by F. Fontaine, Sep 13, 2011.

1. I've been pondering this for a little bit. It seems like an interesting question. The universe is vast no doubt. We are not even as big as a grain of sand, universally speaking of course. I was having a little debate about this today with my friend. Do you believe we are insignificant or maybe something more?

2. My thoughts make me significant. Gravity is considered a very weak force in the universe, but it shapes everything.

I may be a speck of sand but I'm there and my choices shape the future.

3. No, I think there's something absolutely amazing about human beings; our capacity to learn, explore, push our bodies to the limit is extraordinary.

Significance isn't a zero-sum game, everything in the universe can be significant in some way.

4. Considering how limited our spaceflight technology is, yes I'd say we're fairly insignificant compared to the universe and any beings who have mastered spaceflight.

However locally, we're the shit.

• Like Like x 1

5. yea i agree. it's a testament to the human awesomeness that we are able to realize our insignificance in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  6. you maybe insignificant but its your life, and you only get one. so its definantly important.

7. yea that's true. relatively, we are significant, but absolutely we are not.

8. I freaking love your name. i think.

also to answer the question, um

I think its all relevant.
    ...ive been thinking that a lot lately. everything is relevant

9. We're just a bunch of specks on a speck in a speck floating in a bunch of specks.

10. I don't know...
    I'm just glad to be in-significance.

11. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58fs5yI8K9I&feature=related]This Is Mind Blowing! - YouTube[/ame]

12. I'm significant to me.

and that's the only thing that matters.

13. Life sucks anyways...:wave: Intresting yes but it sucks.

14. [​IMG]

Well, i don't know.

15. Insignificant doesn't even begin to explain our insignificance in the universe. I laugh at the value we give our world and ourselves.

16. We aint shit.

17. It's not really fair to criticize our spaceflight I guess. Space is huge. The fact we've gotten as far as we have is pretty amazing.

Moonbase by 2030 says Japan.

18. someday the earth will be destroyed by the sun. were less than ants, to call us dust would be a compliment. Live your life with no regrets because in the end nothing really matters. To answer your question, yes we are VERY SMALL.