Do you believe there is something more?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Natural Mystic, Sep 30, 2004.

?

What do you believe?

1. Yea.. there is a meaning behind life.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No. What you see is what you get.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I want to believe...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I don't know.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I'm going to blaze now :D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. do you believe that there is something more to this life?

Everyday i look around and see this materialistic world where everyone is so hung up on populairty. Or am i just seeing this because im not part of that group? Throughout my life i was never really with the 'in' crowd.. but it never bothered me. I've always had a lot of time to think.. and the more i think and the more i read i believe that there is something more to life.. and hidden meaning... what do you guys n girls think?

2. I really fucking hope so, cuz what if you die and just go into a dreamless sleep of eternity.

3. I do. First off, high school is nothing but a big popularity contest. So many people do things to fit in or be cool. The cool people are the people who are themselves, do not try to be something there not or like something because it is considered cool.

As to a meaning behind life, i think there is. I believe somewhere, sometime, or somehow you will get rewarded for being a good person. I always stop when i see turtles in the road and go place them a safe distence off the road, i try to help people with questions or anyone who needs help with anything. I belive i will be rewarded for this one day in life. Ihave no proof of this, but this faith makes me a happier person and makes me i guess more willing to help. I hope that makes sense, i am kinda rambling.

4. I hope so...I keep my expectations low though...so maybe I'll be suprised

I like reading poetry about stuff like this, Hawthorne is probably one of my favorite poets

THE DARKEN'D VEIL

by: Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804-1864)

OH could I raise the darken'd veil
    Which hides my future life from me,
    Could unborn ages slowly sail
    Before my view -- and could I see
    My every action painted there,
    To cast one look I would not dare.
    There poverty and grief might stand,
    And dark Despair's corroding hand,
    Would make me seek the lonely tomb
    To slumber in its endless gloom.
    Then let me never cast a look,
    Within Fate's fix'd mysterious book.

GO TO THE GRAVE

by: Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804-1864)

GO to the grave where friends are laid,
    And learn how quickly mortals fade,
    Learn how the fairest flower must droop,
    Learn how the strongest form must stoop,
    Learn that we are but dust and clay,
    The short-liv'd creatures of a day.
    Yet do not sigh -- there is a clime,
    Where they will dwell through endless time,
    Who here on earth their Maker serve,
    And never from his precepts swerve.
    The grave to them is but a road,
    That leads them to that blest abode.

5. thats some good stuff bud. wish i could put my thoughts into words so well.

is there more? hard to say. id like to believe there is, but i guess we wont find out for a long time. fortunately, its impossible to find out if there isnt.. so we dont need to worry about it :D

high school is odd. i was part of the "in crowd" but didnt hang out with them much. i never sat with the "cool" kids in class, as i find they arent too interesting and their MTV opinions were so stale and tired. but it was good to know i was welcome at every party and event like so, and that i could literally hang out with anyone in my school and have a great time.

6. yo, that's some cool poetry.. has a good flow.. as to there being a hidden meaning or "something more" to this life, it's really what you make it out to be.. you can't play the roles that society imposes on you.. you have to make those roles for yourself and live life the way that you choose.. don't let others bring you down because you don't "fit in" to their way of living.. if you're different then it's how you are.. you choose to be that way and everyone must be responsible for their actions because they make their own choices..

sorry if i'm sounding like Sartre but it's really how i see life to be.. even before i read about his philosophy that's how i thought the world existed, and when i started reading about him, i realized that had i lived before him i might have been famous for this way of thinking.. even philosophy is pure discovery, there's nothing new about ANY idea out there.. just restating the obvious in a different time frame..

but anyHOO, it's [life] all about choices and the responsibility that comes with them..

"something more" to life? do you mean somethine divine and unEarthly? i don't doubt it, and i can't rule it out.. so that's why i choose to not divide my thoughts among these questions because really they're futile.. one cannot prove or disprove any theory on metaphysics so discussion of it is only of use to pass time and squander resources.. otherwise, meaningless, but interesting nonetheless..

[/runon]

7. lol I don't think you'd notice...

8. OMG, I find it so funny that hs students think they are living in real life. Your life pretty much hasn't started yet. Is there more to life than highschool?

Yes

It's called college ;) Reinvent yourself if you really feel the need.

9. ^^ i didn't mean it like that. I just mean do you think that their is something (supernatural, unexplained) thing in life. Like life is more than just waking up, going to work, and then having time to do w.e else.

10. Getting up and going to work isn't live. It's a necessity to make life more livable. Life is what comes after or before work.

As for the supernatural...idk...I don't really think so. I actually think we're a coincidence, a freak of nature.

What is it you have in mind? Like striving for a larger goal? Paving the way towards (or in) an afterlife? Are we here to learn? To prove something? Is life just a test?

I think everyone has asked him/herself the same question before (if you haven't...shame on you...go smoke a j and start thinking!!!). And they've dne so for thousands of years. That's why some (understatement haha) have come up with the concept of religion. Started off with explaining natural phenomeni to deeper religions explaining the origins and meanings of our existance...

11. I know getting up and going to work/school isn't life... but it seems like thats what most societys want. Its like your born.. then your suppose to get educated (which is a GOOD thing) then you use that education to make money to buy things you REALLY don't need... except for food, housing etc... and then you may choose to have a family which is good too... then you retire and die.

I'm not saying that you can't have fun while doing these things!!

But im just wondering about all those questions that you just pointed out. So im asking if you believe in, god? afterlife? spirits/souls? reincarnation? and all that stuff.
    Is life more than chemisty, physics, biology and math?

I just used high school as an example because some people in hs want to live like what they see on TV.

"It's a necessity to make life more livable."

it seems that humans are making their lives more comfortabal until they die... but i still think you can live a great life even if your not living in the best conditions.

Why buy a new couch? cause it looks good and cause its comfortable? why buy a TV? to watch the news (where all you see are negative stories which involve wars) or to watch MTV? muchmusic? what lindsey lohan did friday night? lol.. to watch reality? thats more conditioning than entertainment im my opinion. (kinda like the book brave new world)

sry for the rant!!

12. Everyone has a different idea on what they should do with their lifes and how they spell happiness...if they want a new couch...they have to work to buy it. Me, I'm comfortable with the old one. It's almost shaped after my arse lol, so I'm gonna work 3 days this week and have 4 off. Becdause I don't need anything right now exept fun and spare time. But that's my philosophy.

You're right...many are too preoccupied with material things, they have to work their ass off to get them, then have no tome left to enjoy them...

As for the questions...you know my position...

13. Life is science, sorry. Nothing more, nothing less. If there is a 'god', they follow the laws of science too.

14. Sorry, but science is human-created, just like religion. It's just another way to explain reality that seems to work. But, like in religion, there are certain factors that can't be explained or proven. Those are called accioms (sp?).

e.g.: a+b=b+a

Try to prove that is right...noone has ever done that yet...

15. Well I believe science, that is ACTUAL science, is what is real. It's not human-created at all, we just realize what's going on and try to explain the undelying science, which is there whether we figure it our correctly or not.

edit: why wouldn't I be able to prove 2+4=6 and 4+2=6, it's the same thing. Don't over-analyze too much.

16. Yes, you belive. That's actually the key word...

I don't analyze too much. I just happen to be interested in math and science. I didn't come up with accioms. Every mathematician knows about them and admits they are not provable and thus math is a theory which happens to usually be right. And it is probably right, if you ask me. But it cna't be proven. That's my point.

And btw...scienctific explanations of natural phenomenon is what science is all about...and that is man-made

17. geez i just wrote a 3 paragraph response, took me like 20 minutes (mega stoned), and i realized i wrote about something COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. damn. but i wanted to note that your math is incorrect.

2+4=6 6+4=2 would be a+b=6 and b+a=6 not a+b=b+a

it's basic algebra. you can't prove a+b=b+a. but this is completely irrelevant.

18. whats up with all this talk about meaning of life and religion and all that jazz all of a sudden lol??? i dont know, i only care when im halucengetics

19. there has to be, or else why would we use drugs? most of us use drugs in hopes of finding a happiness, a hidden meaning...so there has to be something...unfortunatley, i think that using drugs might be cheating though....

20. ^^ hell yeah!

drugs aren't cheating imo... weed and shrooms are all natural. So its obviously here for a reason. And i think that people who do weed end up having more of an open mind.. and then with that new open mind you can explore the universe. just my two cents on that one.