Do you believe suicide is selfish and cowardly?

Discussion in 'General' started by ShaniaKLz, Nov 23, 2011.

1. i dont fucking get failed suicide attempts. do it RIGHT or dont fucking do it. i mean depending on method how do you fail?. example , take a fuckload of pills , and you dont die you get a fucking stroke and now the language part of your brain is gone to shit and you will never speak again. now you really want to be dead.

2. You find it depressing that people who are confused and in pain, have not succeeded in killing themselves?

I do not understand your logic GGrass.

3. lmao, well if you put it that way.:p

4. It's fine to talk about your pain and confusion.

But there is no need to mention your failed attempts at suicide. It only makes me want to help you succeed.

However, this IS a thread about suicide.

So... I guess I'm bitching at the wrong thread.

5. [quote name='"grass man420"']i dont fucking get failed suicide attempts. do it RIGHT or dont fucking do it. i mean depending on method how do you fail?. example , take a fuckload of pills , and you dont die you get a fucking stroke and now the language part of your brain is gone to shit and you will never speak again. now you really want to be dead.[/quote]

Guess I just didn't cut deep enough and shove enough pills down my throat before I was caught... Oh well, you'd think from the many scars I have I did... I'll be sure to "do it right" next time just so you don't get pissed off ;)

6. Much like the Vatican, (Vatican II, that is) I regard suicide as the result of an underlying mental illness. I don't think it is selfish, I don't think it means the person is a coward. I do believe that the person who thinks suicide is the only viable option needs professional, mental help immediately. One should never, ever judge another because they took their own life because you really have no understanding as to why, and never will after they're dead. That's why it is so important to watch for the signs. If someone even mentions suicide as a solution, you should get them help asap.

7. People fail at suicide because they have other motives.

8. Why?
    And why do you get so defensive?

I'm genuinely curious. (And assisting/encouraging people to commit suicide is illegal in a lot of countries worldwide)

9. Coz if you're trying to kill yourself, and you're having a hard time doing it, I will help you do it, just like if you were having a hard time opening a peanut butter jar.

I'll be glad to help you with the jar, but I really don't want to help you with suicide.

Why do I get defensive?

Hm.. I wasn't aware I was getting defensive...

A bit irritated, may be, but certainly not defensive.

10. People who fail at suicide usually succeed at other motives.

And I find it to be... extremely sly.

And I don't like sly.

11. Meh, I kind of think it's selfish to be entitled to someone in your life.

12. Well here's the thing, I think by definition suicide would be selfish and cowardly. But I know what it feels like to be at that level, or at least somewhat near that level, so I have sympathy for them.

13. If a person fails at suicide, I believe its because they really didnt want to die. Some may want the attention, others might be hanging on to some hope they might not be aware of.

14. I volunteer at a suicide hotline, during the busiest hours I might add.

Before volunteer, yeah I thought it was selfish. But after hearing some of their stories it made realize that im selfish too for thinking what they are doing is selfish before who am I to judge-- I do not know what they go through. But they're also the most interesting people to talk to. Their knowledge and experiences pretty intense sometimes.

But then again, I'm neutral about suicide. If they want to, then I can't stop them. I can only try to talk to them out of it and see how I can help them.

I digress. This shit is depressing.

15. What kind of reasons do you usually hear about?

And whats calling the suicide hotline like anyway?

16. [quote name='"Apu"']

Hypothetical. For example we both know a person in real life were both great friends with him he is about to jump off a building we must talk him down.

Through manipulation I could get him down in 5 minutes.

Through guilt(What you are referring to as love) it would take 10.

"Loving" someone as you put it into staying alive is just a bad form of manipulation. Although I admit you unlike me would have best intentions at heart. But reason does not make it right.(The government would like to disagree with me on that one lol)[/quote]

My definition of love has nothing to do with guilt idk what you mean lol. If I was talking someone down I wouldn't do it with guilt i would just try to help them.. You try to make it seem like talking someone off a ledge is a bad thing

17. If you hire a hit man to kill you is it still considered suicide?

18. #118 treelover, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2011
    I don't only because when someone is in that dark a place, they feel trapped and like taking their own life is the only way out.
    They may believe they are making their familys life easier because they feel like a burden on their loved ones.

I think suicide is really a horrible thing for the person loved ones, I have family friends whose father commited suicide. they were so angry at first, but came to understand it wasn't a reflection on them.

For people that commit suicide they're not trying to hurt their loved ones theyfeel trapped and depressed and like they'll always be that way and they see death as the only way out.

Its really sad, depression is a disease and it has consequences for the person and their family. When their father died and people would say that stuff to them it was incredibly rude and hurtful.

I think it is hard to understand unless you have been the depressed yourself, and it takes time to understand that someone at that point is beyond depressed. Chances are they were suffering for a long time...and no one knew.

19. Yes, it takes more courage to deal with the daily bullshit that is life than to take the easy way out by offing yourself, imo.

20. Physiocyche or however you spell it, you're kind of an ass.

I contemplated suicide in middle school, I was in a deep deep depression, feeling like I had no one, not realizing the people who cared were the ones I took for granted, my family. I was depressed for 3 straight years without realizing what it was. I still have reminating feelings to this day, but ive gotten over most of them, it just really fucked with my head for as while there. But anyways, my thoughts on suicide now are that it doesn't really solve anything. It's like that saying with flipping a coin that you know what you are hoping for that brief second its in the air. With suicide, for that brief moment once you've taken the plunge, you realize that it was wrong. I truly believe that everyone who has committed suicide has been sorry for it (I'm talking pussy suicide, not kamikaze and samari suicides, those have meaning and honor behind them, still fucked up, but I understand those). I also think that they may be truly happy in that instant before they die too. It's one or the other, I don't believe there is a middle ground in situations like that.