Do you believe suicide is selfish and cowardly?

Discussion in 'General' started by ShaniaKLz, Nov 23, 2011.

1. [quote name='"Mr Unknown"']People say "do what makes you happy." If suicide will make you happy then go for it. No one should decide if you live or die, even though it does happen. If you truly don't want to live anymore, then you don't have to.[/quote]

You can't be happy when you're dead... Lol.

2. I see suicide as dropping out of school. You either fail fail fail and drop out, or you fail fail fail and learn and progress

3. But every time you fail a class in school and retake the damn thing you are putting yourself deeper into debt.

4. Your theory is flawed. A lot of people have dropped out of school and became successful. George Carlin's a perfect example.

5. Exactly. Spiritual people will understand what I'm talking about. Your energy is you, and you're energy never loses the experience that it has gained. If you drop out, you still have to continue. Now you have to do double the work tho

When did I say dropping out was the end :confused:

6. You're associating failure with dropping out of school.

7. I also associated failure with learning and progressing

8. Tottally don't agree with this thread. <3 RIP little dude you were too young to be consider taking your own life as selfish.

9. How can you agree or disagree? If you read previous, I stated there's no right nor wrong answer when it comes to suicide. This thread isn't calling suicidal people selfish/cowards, it's a question that's provoking opinions from different people who have different views.

10. Never know though. We will not know until that moment happens.

11. i think the suicide of an able bodied and healthy person is selfish.
    suicide isn't selfish because of the people who care for you get hurt. the reason i say that is that if someone you know truly wants to die and hate every moment of their existence then i feel like it is selfish for those who care about them to expect them to live out that pain every day.
    but if you are a physically and mentally capable person you should do some serious life changing volunteer work with your prime years and at least try and leave this place better than it was during your stay. it could even change your perspective on things and save your own life.

12. All of you who think its selfish and cowardly, watch someone so completely disabled they can't even feed themselves or wipe their own ass, who has been living in horrible chronic pain for years with zero hope of even the slightest recovery and then start talking about how selfish they are to want to commit suicide.

13. There a wide range of people who want to commit suicide.
    People living their lives as vegetables, people perfectly healthy with young children and suffering depression, people who have been abused in their life - a lot of things you people aren't taking into consideration is the fact that suicide is an act commited by all different kinds of people, all each are going to have their reasons for doing it. Killing yourself because your in chronic pain may be justified but doing it because you've messed your own life up with the choices you've made isn't. For those who say it's cowardly, is it ever justified? For those who say it isn't selfish, is it always justified?

14. I dont think its selfish at all its a personal choice and quite frankly for someone to choose death over attempt to resolve whatever they are going through means they thought pretty hard about it. None of you know what its like and its selfish to say that its selfish and stupid because you are obviously not in a suicidal state of mind.

15. You guys are overlooking the actual DEFINITION of selfishness. You're all taking it to automatically mean something bad..

Selfishness only means you act in your own interest with disregard to other people. This is not always something shameful and definitely not always cowardly.

But if you're taking your own life to relieve yourself, while disregarding the feelings of others, that is, by definition, selfish. You can't argue with the dictionary.

That's not to say All suicides are selfish. But as long as you're killing yourself for (what you think is) personal benefit or relief, and as long as there's someone who will be hurt by it, it's selfishness DEFINED.

I'm not passing judgment on anyone who commits suicide, but if we're going to use the word "selfish" let's look at what it actually means.

16. You want to know the difference between being a manipulative cunt and selfish?

One is better at guilt....

I hope you see my point

17. [quote name='"Apu"']

You want to know the difference between being a manipulative cunt and selfish?

One is better at guilt....

I hope you see my point[/quote]

I'm trying to.. But could you explain? Lol :( I'm sure it's a good one

18. Hypothetical. For example we both know a person in real life were both great friends with him he is about to jump off a building we must talk him down.

Through manipulation I could get him down in 5 minutes.

Through guilt(What you are referring to as love) it would take 10.

"Loving" someone as you put it into staying alive is just a bad form of manipulation. Although I admit you unlike me would have best intentions at heart. But reason does not make it right.(The government would like to disagree with me on that one lol)