Do you believe in the concept of a soul? If so, how do you define it?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Deleted member 940351, May 6, 2018.

1. Sound like bullshit to me fucking have post 2 replyd because anything you hit here will place a comment even if you fart forgive me lol

2. You hit reply and nothing seemed to happen, or you watched it spin for a bit and hit reply again?

When that happens to me, I try to copy the reply then hit refresh.
    Usually the original reply will appear. If not paste and try again.

:smoke:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Yes all is "energy" but there is "gross physical" and the subtle bodies... i really don't think the spiritual bodies are confined to the space time thing including the earths atmosphere.... physical body imo is just a case that the Eternal Self (which can be just impersonal energy, or a soul, take your pick) uses for a terrestrial communication and transportation device... very similar to the "cases" we enclose these bodies in while propelling down the freeway or flying cross country...

Freedom, happiness and total contentment including giving up the search if one is a conscious seeker of Self Realization is about all one can shoot for imo... if we fall short, so be it, but if we hit the mark... WOW, JUST WOW!!!!!!!!!!!

4. #24 Sanez, Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    My belief is that we have no soul beyond however you might choose to define one. Our consciousness is nothing more than an illusion produced by recurrent feedback loops of neural activity. We are each a physical system comprised of trillions of synaptic and neuronal signal processing units. It's a little depressing in some ways, but liberating in others. At the same time, I believe there are metaphysical aspects to our existence that are true in some frame of reference. For example, we might live on continuously, as you would think a soul does, by way of our energy causally propagating forwards in time.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. I prefer the philosophy of the high life..

Which is that your high.. and high at things.. you can make up a new higher form, and be high at that.. and create again a higher mentality.. and be high at that..

It's kind of like where your thought process is, is where you are pointing at.. and thats what makes you high.. it's what you are high at.. big or small

6. before you are conceived you have a soul contract with your parents and your soul inhabits the first cell that is you.... this cell is your soul's universe.

7. I belive that..

So what happens when you become aware of this knowledge..?

Are you allowed to change your contract with your parents or other people?
    Change your karma so to speak?

8. I once referred to the soul once, high as "the entity that inhabits our body that cannot be named" what I mean by this is that everyone claims ownership of their soul, stating it as "my" soul, however it does not belong to you, but to the universe, it merely inhabits our bodies till we die.

9. A soul is the voices in your head that WON'T SHUT THE FUCK UP!!

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. i've heard it described in esoteric terms from someone in Theosophy that it is an accumulation of past history or all lifetimes... just as we have no clue who we really are due to false identification with the mind and this temporary terrestrial communication and transportation device called "my body" - as if we own it rather than borrowing it from the elements to use in this dimension called the physical plane or world.

But the cosmic joke is that in order to realize who we are we have to deal with all the racked up karma false identities and errors we've made over thousands of lifetimes.... then eventually when all is worked out and the world of senses and objects has lost it's charm from seeing the illusion for what it is - we Realize (actually remember) our True Nature which is AtOneMent with the One or Cosmos....

This physical plane is one of duality... if there is light then there must be dark, hard and soft, up and down, left and right, etc... all relative stuff but we can bounce around in the Maya of duality forever and not touch on the Ultimate Truth or Reality while we acting like a pinball ding ding in an arcade... One day we realize we are not the pin ball but the....

PINBALL WIZARD.

gottcha lol

11. I think there is already enough evidence to be quite sure that consciousness, thoughts and emotions are created by physical processes occurring within our brains. Also, no one has ever found any evidence to prove (or even suggest) that a soul exists. For these reasons, I do not believe in the soul.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. "i think, therefore i am"
    :rolleyes:

13. #34 svedka, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    Not buying it... So you think that "matter" is the only thing that matters in order to produce conscious awareness that you are or I am? Who is observing the thoughts and actions? is it the brain matter or the mind itself? the body is not need for conscious awareness as our Real Self the Eternal aspect, soul if you will or if you won't does not require the physical terrestrial vehicle... the body... so you put more faith in the temporary always changing delicate fragile body? lol that is your "reality"?
    ////////////////////////////////////////////////

99.9999999% of Your Body Is Empty Space

Some days, you might feel like a pretty substantial person. Maybe you have a lot of friends, or an important job, or a really big car.

But it might humble you to know that all of those things – your friends, your office, your really big car, you yourself, and even everything in this incredible, vast Universe – are almost entirely, 99.9999999 percent empty space.
    (above was a snip from full article found in length at link)
    99.9999999% of Your Body Is Empty Space

14. #35 Lemonfox69, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
    You are the soul, the awareness within. The body, the mind, the emotions are merely projections of consciousness.
    Master how to silence the mind and find inner-stillness so one shall see.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. I wouldn't call it soul. Not long ago I was able to see my brain work in a new way.
    Unfolding before me were independent programs receiving and sending data without my intervention.( digestion breathing heartbeat you know what I'm talking about)
    There was a program for pretty much everything but there was the observer(me) as well.
    I didn't fit into the scheme.
    I saw myself as smoke between assembly lines.
    This smoke might be close to what you called a soul.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. None of that is relevant to whether or not a soul actually exists. There is zero evidence to prove that a soul exists, and I have never come across any convincing philosophical argument in favor of one either. Many religious texts claim that one exists - but all they really provide is an empty claim; a claim which is completely lacking in observable evidence or philosophical reasoning. It is for these reasons that scientists do not do any research on the topic.

And another thing that bothers me is this - most religious believers believe that humans are the only animal on Earth to have a soul. This implies the arrogant assertion that humans are superior to all other animals. After death, we ascend to heaven (or descend to hell) while all other animals just rot in the ground. If humans have a soul, it would be equally likely for chimpanzees, monkeys, cats and dogs to also have souls.

I have also wondered another thing. If a soul exists, it must have been brought into existence at some point in time by evolution and natural selection. When, in our evolutionary history, did the soul come into existence? Did australopithecus and homo erectus also have souls? And did neanderthals have souls too?

I do not feel that not believing in a soul makes my life empty like you seem to suggest. To the contrary - it makes me value my life even more so, knowing that it will one day come to an end. All life is temporary. When I die, I will rot in the ground like any other animal. The atoms which formed my body will, in time, be recycled. Chemicals which were once part of me, could by mere chance, become part of a new rock, tree, or even part of a new human thereby helping them form their own conscious perception of the world.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Body(/brain) = Hardware
    Mind(or "soul" or "consciousness" or whatever buzzword you prefer) = Software / Operating System

change some parameters(chemicals) in the hardware(brain) and you'll see how the "soul" etc. is reacting accordingly.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. "When I die, I will rot in the ground"

So you are your body / brain and nothing more and when there is no brain or body "matter" they you won't matter? Did you ever matter or was it a dream? Many feel that this thing we call "life" is the dream and when the vehicle is dropped and the soul is no longer obscured by the false conceptual identity, there is an instantaneous realization that it was ALL a dream as the song goes.... (row row row your boat down the stream life is but a dream)

You see those who have a "knowing" that they have a soul are assuming as it has not been "proven"... how can those who are laboring under the illusion of duality and depending on their intellect / minds to prove that which is beyond comprehension prove or disprove it? There are millions of people who have had "near death experiences" most have similar experiences of going before blinding white light and receiving tons of information by way of a knowing-ness telepathic type download... it has changed their lives... some believe in soul before, others did not, all were made believers after these out of body experiences... those that were monitored in hospitals showed no signs of life for brief periods, in other words legally dead... they all report either being told to return to the earthly drama or chose to due to not wanting to leave spouses, kids, etc...

All reported it was so blissful that they really didn't want to return, most begged not to but finally convinced... then POP they were back in the body and vital signs resumed...

I also see a case for reincarnation... how can anyone explain why some are born with all their fingers and toes, others missing part of a limb or all limbs? Some born rich, others poor, some handsome, beautiful, others butt ugly? Could there possibly be a reason such as previous life actions? Or challenges chosen by say the "soul" in order to clean up as much residual "karma" as possible in a single incarnation?

It also explains the great classical composers and child prodigies playing the piano like concert pianists or violin at 5 yrs old, singers, etc. or geniuses for that matter, versus ordinary people or those who are just really slow without any apparent "gifts"...

just some thoughts...

19. Hard to say, controversial topic dependent on many other beliefs such as religion and whatnot. I think the idea of a "soul" is grossly misinterpreted. I think humans, and all life forms, have a deeper connection to the earth's electromagnetic field then what science can currently explain. Thus, the unknown that's not explainable (not because science dosen't have the answers, but because our lack of technology and understanding to wield the science) can be currently marked off as "a soul". Many ancient native American cultures spoke about the "great invisible force".