Do you believe in karma?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Griffijuana, Jul 10, 2013.

1. I personally don't believe in karma. I think good things and bad things happen to everybody because they just do. If someone fucks you over and then they get fucked over by somebody else, I don't think it's karma that got them, I think it's just probability that if they are the type that would fuck over somebody else, they're going to hang out with people who are more likely to fuck somebody over, a la them.

2. i defently believe in karma

3. I believe there are consequences for your actions.

But i dont believe magical faries see you doing good and then make shit easy for you whild tricking bad people.

Lol. Karma is silly

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

Lol that isn't karma at all.

I absolutely believe in karma, of every single action, there is an absolute and opposite reaction. We cannot consciously perceive every action and reaction, every cause and effect, but this is a law that works on every level, whether it is physical, mental or something else.

We live within the constraints of time, and thus we cannot see how karma is tied into everything that happens. One can say that everything that is happening now, everything that has happened before, and everything that is going to happen, is all the karmic result of the "first action"

5. Just because karma exists doesn't mean free will doesn't exist. If you believe in free will, your last sentence doesn't make sense as it's a determinist statement.

6. #6 pickledpie, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2013
    Well, I think you have to be able to think in a paradox for this particular thing. Everything is possible from the beginning, and every possibility exists outside the bounds of time, thus both free will exist and do not, because everything exists, but it doesn't exist for us because we live within space and time.

Everything essentially already exists on the infinite plane.

7. Again, this is just determinism, with many unnecessary words thrown in.

8. Well you can say that, but is there an issue with that? you're simply labeling my beliefs to a rather broad idea of determinism, which isn't an entirely valid idea, free will as we know it still exists, that's what matters.

If an ant grows up being able to do anything it wills and desires, but in the end must succumb to death anyways, does it truly have free will?

9. You're confusing free will with omnipotence.

10. #10 Lay Low, Jul 11, 2013
    Double post...

11. #11 pickledpie, Jul 11, 2013
    God is the only one with free will, and since everything is just sublimation and division of god, if you have spirit then you have free will. You honestly have to look at existence without the filter of Time. We have free will, but it is a product of an ultimate cause that exists outside of time.

Free will is just an interpretation of our possible interaction with the world through eyes that are limited in their capacity to perceive the truth of the universe because we are separate from each other through means of ego. We are essentially each other without knowing that, we are One.

Then again, one can assume we don't actually have free will because, does a single cell in our body have free will? We are like cells of the universe, which is itself an organism if you really look at it.

12. There are two versions of Karma, Buddhist and Hindu. The Buddhist version refutes Hindu Karma, and says that the original meaning was that 'if you do bad things, you will become bad. Do good things and you become good." There is no sense of retribution or a continuation into other lives.

MelT

13. #13 esseff, Jul 11, 2013
    ^ This makes sense. If you do what you feel to be good, you feel differently to when you do what you know to be bad. So by choosing to want good, be good, do good, you are good because you are always what you think, feel and do.

If you make other choices, those choices create experiences, realities, that feel different, perhaps not so nice, perhaps horrible. The state of mind, and the choice, is what matters.

14. Of course, 'good' is so subjective that it makes Karma a difficult concept to believe.

If I'm a big, rude dick to everyone, and consequentially become become rude dicks to me, I may gain some sadistic pleasure out of it and find my life more enjoyable or at least, stimulating.

15. no but it seems to be true

16. #16 Carl Weathers, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
    Karma can easily appear real by anyone who wants to believe in it, as it has no timeline or exact mechanism to adhere to. Therefore, any occurrence on a person can easily be attributed to karma as opposed to happenstance, where convenient or applicable. All the while, various things that run contrary to the deserved 'bad karma', for example, will be ignored or remain irrelevant to the believer... and vice versa.

17. #17 Fakir, Jul 11, 2013
    maybe karma is more complex than that, some believe believe in karma AND rebirth, that means they believe what happens is the result of countless lives, not because you were '' bad '' in just your past/last life, just that the conditions are ripe for you to experience whatever is your karmic causes

18. If thats true, then in the next life I will be a slug that gets placed under the back mag wheel of a dragster waiting for the green light.

19. I know i was being satyrical.

I dont believe good come to good people and bad come to bad people.

I believe actions have direct consequences weather fair or not
    <blockquote class='ipsBlockquote' >I absolutely believe in karma, of every single action, there is an absolute and opposite reaction. We cannot consciously perceive every action and reaction, every cause and effect, but this is a law that works on every level, whether it is physical, mental or something else.

We live within the constraints of time, and thus we cannot see how karma is tied into everything that happens. One can say that everything that is happening now, everything that has happened before, and everything that is going to happen, is all the karmic result of the "first action"
    </blockquote>
    I dont think tjays what karma is... but lets not staty a semantics debate!
    Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

20. I believe karma to be a more religious cause and effect. Yes, there is an reaction for every action, but not to the point that you may be directly affected. If i dont give that homeless guy a dollar, later on in life no one will give me a dollar if i am homeless, im not saying it isnt possible, but very rare.  Just to take it to a hi-spective, what if i was homeless on the street and i didnt give myself a dollar?????????? WOAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH