Do you believe in God?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by BluntCruisin, May 24, 2010.

1. I believe there is something / someone, i mean i don't understand why it's so far fetched , most atheists believe in something like the big bang theory right?if that created everything why couldn't it have made a higher being?

2. #42 The Talking Dog, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2010
    I was raised Catholic and for that reason I now worship Quetzalcoatl and to a lesser degree the Beaver God.

3. Nope I believe god is just a figure and religion is something to keep society in a moral structure.

4. I don't know what to believe anymore. I've recently considered myself an agnostic because I believe there is a higher power possibly, but a lot of the bible seems very fairytale to me. And considering the state of the world, suffering, prayers never answered...it makes me lose faith dramatically. I'm not saying god isn't real, but I'm not saying he exists either, i mean, where is he? What is he doing to help us? I don't really believe that you just stay in one place (heaven or hell) for an eternity. That jus sounds farfetched and impossible to me, idk why it just does. My family still thinks I'm a chrisitian. Boy, I got a lot of shit to tell them now that I think about it...

But that scientific, big bang bullshit is bogus. I don't believe that at all...or evolution.

5. I do believe in a higher power, but not any of the religions we have here...

What really gets me is why the FUCK does God care if we have premarital sex, masturbate, are homosexual, taking drugs and such??? I understand if he wants us to play nice to one another (no rape/stealing etc) and to respect him, but why is doing a lot of other things "sinful"? They can never answer me without referencing the bible (which I hate when people do that).

And it was that logic that I realize why christianity isn't for me. But I like most religions for inspiring people and having something to believe in and honestly I see nothing wrong with that. To each their own.

6. I consider myself an atheist. I was brought up to believe there was a god, and quite frankly that just didn't stick. Through years of questioning, I've come to the conclusion god does not exist, we do not go to heaven, and most importantly, it's all bullshit.

This doesn't make me hateful for those who practice religion, whatever helps them get through life, ya know?

7. i wish i did. most of the time i dnt know what i believe i dnt picture some unattainable standard as a key to afterlife. ur lifes ur life be a good person just because u should not bc of guilt. i went to catholic school and i respect people who have faith and i use the world faith strongly and purposely bc its a very dif thing then religion ive met both religiousless ppl with failth and religious ppl with no faith. truth us were never gonna know so i try not to think about it and enjoy the short time i have here

8. Yes.

i believe theres a God, i dont believe in religion because it was created by man, there are so many controversies in religions that they all sound like they are right and wrong.

Catholics and Christians are so different. i see catholics more as hypocrits than Christians, its watever.

I believe theres a god that made the world so complex. I believe the devil rules the world because God permits it, like that story in the bible of Job.

9. i agree with ur views on religion tho instead of god id say i beleive more in a universal conncetion pre say??? i dnt know but i dnt beleiw in a god or a devil . i guess im naive bc i dont know why god would permit that if god existed? maybe im jaded?

10. I believe in a common connection between everything in existance, all living beings, the universe, and what not. Would I call it a god? I don't know, probably not. Could be something like electricity, or hydrogen even. Everything was born from hydrogen, every single chemical, element, just everything.

But really, the way I see it, all scientists and creationists are looking at the same thing, they just have a different way of explaining the connection.

As for my background, I was raised Lutherin, renounced my faith somewhere around 15 or 16, and have been studing several religions since; even if I don't believe in them, I find them interesting. I actually considered Buddism a few years back.

11. No. If god created the universe my question is who/what created god. I don't know and no one knows so i say he doesn't exist.

If you tell a christian or catholic the story of jack and the beanstalk they will say it's a fairy tale. They will then turn around and tell you that a man lived in a big fish for three days and believe it?

I don't buy into that mumbo jumbo. Theres a logical reason for all happenings that religious people accredit to God.

12. I do believe in God.

I do believe that corrupt and blinded people have turned so many away from God. Just because someone calls themselves a "christian" or "religious" that does not mean they are an exact representation of the God or religion they claim to believe in. If people want to find the true meaning of Christianity then study the source, not the people who have corrupted it.

I have studied many religions and have found through studying history, archeological findings, the test of time, the number of people influenced, and many personal experiences that I believe to the point of death that the "Christian" God is real. I know that there are many people in the world believe to the point of death in their gods as well, and I fully understand them, especially when it is a part of a certain culture. This is just about my experiences not anyone elses.

True Christianity is not a message of right or wrong, rules, wearing long enough skirts, and having short enough hair. True Christianity is about selfless love, understanding, compassion, and forgivness. I believe that God has given all of that to us.

I understand when people see all of the bad crap in the world and think there is no God. But I believe that God created humans with free will, to love, or to hate. God did not create a world with mindless robots who automatically love, but a world where true and real love means something because there are so many easier routes then to love and have compassion for your neighbor, no matter what they believe.

All in all, I hope people will look to Jesus for what a Christian is and not Bob down the street who holds a sign and yells at gays as they walk by.

I think though if you really think about an eternity of an afterlife, isnt it worth looking into a little deeper than just what has happened around you in your life. And to be honest a christian life is an awesome life to live, very fulfilling, but what If i'm wrong? I guess I just go into the ground. But what if someone who never seeks God at all is wrong? Eternity away from God, eternity away from the creator. all i'm saying is it is definitly worth looking into.

Sorry for the really long post, BTW I do believe God created weed to smoke just as much as a carrot to eat, as long as it doesnt become more important than the important things in life.

13. #53 Spikoli, Aug 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2010
    not just no but, FUCK NO!!

and if i am wrong and my judgement comes so be it, I'll spit in his mouth and piss on his shoes. cause if there is a conscious mind behind the workings of this miserable planet he is a fucking psychopath who deserves nothing more from me than contempt!

I wish i could find the quote to give credit where credit is due but it goes something like this "If god could ease the suffering of the world, but won't, is he good? if he wishes to, but can't, is he powerful?"

14. I think saying so be it to judgement isn't what you would really be thinking at the time, if you really thought about it you probably wouldnt say that, but I dont know you so I couldnt say. If it were me I'd probably start wishing that I had done something differently.

I believe that the key to end suffering in the world is us. God created us with all the ability in the world to care for everyone else but do we choose to? How can we blame Him whenever he gives us all the instructions to make the world awesome yet we choose to focus our efforts to anything but that? God has stepped in numerous times in this world to make things better, but like I said before, if he was constantly in peoples faces and giving them everything and requring no faith (which is something He requires, dont ask me why, I wish it were more clear cut and easy, you can ask him one day) then would it truely be love?

This is just how I see things, many people view things differently, and I think it is a good thing to view everone elses views, to respect them, and really think about them and one persons viewpoint might change (including mine)

15. You are not talking about that stupid book written (parts of it) 6000 years ago by mud grubbing monkeys with a less sophisticated world view than my 4 year old daughter are you???

you know the one that says "if you eat shelfish, you go to hell" or "if your wife is not a virgin when you marry her, you should stone her to death" or "if a woman is a victim of rape the same", or "if your kids talkback to you the same" (starting to see a pattern here??) never in my entire life have i read such violent, misogynistic, racist, exclusionary, uneducated drivel in my entire life. if burning of books ever becomes popular again i know what to start the fire with

I am a pretty avid student of history, modern and ancient, and i can't for the life of me figger out what you are talking about here. all "miracles" can be attributed to two sources: one, a misunderstanding of natural phenomena by a primitive mind and two, the imposition of a personal viewpoint from said primitive mind on otherwise common place events.

and don't even get me started on "faith". Faith is the first resort of the brainwashed.

16. First off I'm not going to continue to respond if it turns into an argument. As soon as someone starts to talk about controversial issues it is assumed we need to start arguing. So I dont mind going back and fourth on certain ideas but i'm not going to argue, if we start to argue then even if I "won" the argument, what would that accomplish, that would just make you dislike the idea of christianity being true that much more.

The Bible is to be looked at in the context as a whole story. From cover to cover. It is written over a span of about 1000 years or so by over 40 different people. So if you read bits and pieces then it is easy to misread the purpose of the story. If you wanted to know about george washington and all you read was a couple paragraphs about his history then you could easily get that he was some slave owning guy who chopped down a cherry tree. Where as we all know there is much more than that.

The things you are referring to in the Bible are coming from the old testament where the people from that time and culture (context) were living by "The Law." This is where the cultural harshness comes from, not from God. That is where Jesus comes in (New Testament) where he was sent by God to overcome the Law and change what people lived for. Thats why he was crucified because he was changing the way people thought about things. There is obviously a lot more to everything than what I am saying as well. Nothing can be summed up in a couple paragraphs, and I definitly am not claiming to know it all, because I dont.

No offense to your daughters intelligence, but i'm not sure how you know that the people who wrote the book were less inteligent than a 4 year old other than the fact that wrote about something you disagree with that was happening during(or around) their time. In a lot of cases they were acting as historians documenting events, and there is a lot of proof that many of the events that they were documenting (wars, certain temples, land areas, etc.) are real. They were not just sitting around thinking up ways they could make up a "religion." And seeing as the Bible continues to be the best selling book of all time I would have to say that their world view has applied to a lot of people, in every culture around the world, for a long time.

Again i'm not trying to argue my belief, the whole purpose of my post was for people to do some studying for themselves before they come up with ideas about Christianity that were stemmed off of some wacko's interpretation of the Bible.

17. nah i dont believe in any religion, i think you only live once and thats it. Fuck jesus and all his bullshit

18. I dunno i think even a 4 year could figure out that the story of Noah's Ark is absolutely rediculous.

19. #59 Spikoli, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2010
    okay, okay i'll make with the nice-nice

george washington was a slave owning cocksucker, and there are parts of the bible that are less atrocious (okay, okay, good) mainly the "be kind to your neighbor", "don't kill people" parts. but, this is hardly revolutionary or original, even for the time it was written in. EVERY culture has had these sorts of ideas about the treatment of other humans. where it all gets mucked up is the definition of what exactly a "human" is. at different times skin color, sex, origin, etc. etc. etc has all been used as a basis of deciding what exactly "human" is. Christianity in general, and the bible in specific, is no less discriminatory tham any insular ideology, for sure it is a distinction of belief, but insular and discriminatory nonetheless.

im gonna let cut and paste handle this one. (the funny part to me is the author was arguing FOR a christian view point)

We could cite many reasons for the Old Testament being God's Word, but the strongest argument comes from the Lord Jesus Himself. As God in human flesh, Jesus speaks with final authority. And His testimony regarding the Old Testament is loud and clear.

Jesus believed that the Old Testament was divinely inspired, the veritable Word of God. He said, "The Scripture cannot be broken" (John 10:35). He referred to Scripture as "the commandment of God" (Matthew 15:3) and as the "Word of God" (Matthew 15:6). He also indicated that it was indestructible: "Until Heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass away from the law, until all is accomplished" (Matthew 5:18). Notice that he mentions even the words and letters!

When dealing with the people of His day, whether it was with the disciples or religious rulers, Jesus constantly referred to the Old Testament: "Have you not read that which was spoken to you by God?" (Matthew 22:31); "Yea; and have you never read, 'Out of the mouth of infants and nursing babes thou hast prepared praise for thyself'?" (Matthew 21:16, citing Psalm 8:2); and "Have you not read what David did?" (Matthew 12:3). Examples could be multiplied to demonstrate that Jesus was conversant with the Old Testament and its content. He quoted from it often and He trusted it totally.

He confirmed many of the accounts in the Old Testament, such as the destruction of Sodom and the death of Lot's wife (Luke 17:29, 32), the murder of Abel by his brother Cain (Luke 11:51), the calling of Moses (Mark 12:26), the manna given in the wilderness (John 6:31-51), the judgment upon Tyre and Sidon (Matthew 1-1:21), and many others.

Not only did Jesus confirm the historicity of these accounts, He also authenticated some of the passages that are most disputed today. Many modern scholars do not believe that Moses wrote the first five books of the Old Testament, but Jesus did (see Matthew 19:8, 9; John 7:19; Mark 12:29-31).
    Some modern scholars also assume the existence of more than one Isaiah, but Jesus believed in only one. In Luke 4:17-21, He cites Isaiah 61:1, 2 (the so-called second Isaiah or Deutero-Isaiah) while in Matthew 15:7-9 He refers to the first part of Isaiah's work (Isaiah 6:9) without the slightest hint of more than one author.

The account of Daniel is rejected today by many as actually coming from the pen of Daniel, but the Lord Jesus believed him to be a prophet (Matthew 24:15). The account of Adam and Eve often is ridiculed today as legend, but Jesus believed the story to be true (Matthew 19:1-6).

Likewise, the narrative of Noah and the great flood not only is authenticated by Jesus (Matthew 24:37), it also is used as an example of His second coming. Finally, the most unbelievable of all-the account of Jonah and the great fish-is used by Jesus as a sign of His resurrection (Matthew 12:39ff).

It almost seems as though Jesus was anticipating 20th century biblical criticism when He authenticated these accounts. The con-clusion is simple. If a person believes in Jesus Christ, he should be consistent and believe that the Old Testament and its accounts are correct. Many want to accept Jesus, but also want to reject a large portion of the Old Testament. This option is not available. Either Jesus knew what He was talking about or He did not. The evidence is clear that Jesus saw the Old Testament as being God's Word; His attitude toward it was nothing less than total trust.

I know she has a more sophisticated world view (i didn't say smarter, though she is too smart by far for her own good) because she knows that owning people is wrong (expressly permitted by the bible), that hurting people is wrong (again), and she has a more rational scientific understanding of the world.

I'm not the only wacko who has noticed this.....and come on even the topic itself is fuel for a flame war and little else....c'mon it'll be fun:devious:

20. If there is a god then he does not deserve to be worshipped and revered. He has let wars be waged and countless lives killed and he has done nothing. So even if there is a god he is not just and deserves no ones respect. He should be overthrown and spited instead of worshipped.