Do YOU believe in God?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Del420, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Consider this... God is the name of an alien! Only genius is slightly correct, everything else was made up by man. Jesus was probably result of an opium one night stand and was born with cyphalis and by the time he hit pubaty it was in his brain and was causing him to hillucinate and actually believe he is the son of God

2. I've read the Bible, and the Koran. The first part of the Koran is very similar to the Old Testament except seen from the point of view of the 'other brother' (Arabs, Jews, just two different tribes from the same area originally),
    The second half though... that's the part in the Koran, and the Hadith too, where true believers are incited to kill Kuffars (nonbelievers) and go on jihad.
    Both of these religions are based on ancestor worship and sun worship. They are both prosetylizing religions (trying to convert people). They are intent on bending people to their social mores. (EG don't eat pork, grow a beard...) and in particular, both are based on misogyny (Jesus was a misogynist and Mohammed was a paedophile). The USA has its own special religion: money.

3. No I don't. God and religion are just made up fairy tales. There might be something out there, but we certainly have no way of knowing and anyone who claims to know should be looked upon with great suspicion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I cannot believe that the Catholic Church is still allowed to be a thing with unbelievable amounts of children that have been harmed - to put it nicely.

The pope-dude saying “oops - sorry” just doesn’t cut it anymore. Any other cult would have been shut down long ago.

j

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. The Catholic Church and God seem to have little in common

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yes, I believe in God!

7. #907 tklmyfeet, Oct 26, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    Former Catholic here.

The Catholic Church I went to growing up had a situation with a priest who preyed on some of the children who went to the connected Catholic elementary school there. This church also had a middle school, and a high school that was apart of the church.

The shit storm was awful. Now, I was in my 20s when all this went down. They had no issues with not only covering it all up (tried to, at least), but they just moved the priest to a new parish.

I vowed right there... Nope, not gonna be Catholic anymore.

Even years later, the Boston scandal broke as well, which showed me my decision was correct. Most religious organizations are just way to political for me.

Now, I know some Catholic priests that are awesome men of God. I was best friends with one for a few years. And while he was trying to get me back into the church, I basically said no way, not with all that going on. And, I bet it still goes on today (not to be negative).

I prescribe to have a personal relationship with God, but community worship is not for me.

I will also say this, I do NOT condemn Catholics or anyone who works for or works with the church. I condemn those persons who do those dirty deeds. I wish folks would stop condemning an entire group of people for the horrible deeds a few do. It's sad really with all this "group mentality". Hate the doer of the deed, not the group he/she comes from.

Yes, I like to say the word Deed

8. Did you happen to see the recent abuse report from France?

And thank you for your response.

Look here - it’s staggering.

“PARIS (AP) — Victims of abuse within France’s Catholic Church welcomed a historic turning point Tuesday after a new report estimated that 330,000 children in France were sexually abused over the past 70 years, providing the country’s first accounting of the worldwide phenomenon.

The figure includes abuses committed by some 3,000 priests and an unknown number of other people involved in the church — wrongdoing that Catholic authorities covered up over decades in a “systemic manner,” according to the president of the commission that issued the report, Jean-Marc Sauvé.”

French report: 330,000 children victims of church sex abuse

j

9. Human beings are not capable of understanding “God”.

Do you believe in photosynthesis?
    Or in the description of the mechanism behind it?
    Two hundred years ago, that would have been considered a fairy tail of utter madness and total fiction.

Can your dog do Calculus? Geometry? Trig? Simple math?
    Math does not exist to a dog. Dog does not have the capability nor capacity to understand math.
    Yet math exists, and so does photosynthesis, and cannabinoid receptors, and translocation of calcium by a plant that doesn’t even have a brain (that we know of).

So do you believe in photosynthesis, the mechanism responsible for all the food on Earth?
    Answer why or why not and you’ll see what a silly question “do you believe in God?”

Now go upstairs and finish your homework.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. How scary is that. I can't even. But I stand by my statement, don't hate the group, hate the doer of the deed. In this case, there's a lot of people who will never be accountable for their evil deeds here in our plain of existence, and God knows this.

Now imagine all the indirect people who knew this was going on and said nothing. The swath of evil is large for sure. But no where as large as Gods Will and Might.

11. BLASPHEMY!!!! Just kidding!

12. Spiritual religion: JuJu. (From West Africa, Juju formed the basis of Voodoo that appeared later in the USA and Carribean)
    An engineer friend had a large sum of money stolen from a site in Nigeria. Instead of calling the useless police, he called a Juju man. The Juju man had the possible culprits sit in a circle. Then he brought out the bones. "I dey cast de bones an we get eye for tief." (Sorry about the pidgin, I learnt it out there.) He told them that if no-one admitted the theft, the bones would tell him who took the money, and the culprit's penis would shrivel up and fall off.
    As he began shaking the bones, one of the guys changed into a kind of pale grey shade. Just as he was about to throw the bones, the culprit stood up and confessed.

13. Why does anyone else care about other's beliefs? If believing in God brings you peace, enjoy. If you don't believe in God, that's your prerogative. It's the ultimate in personal freedom.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Unfortunately, some of the believers won't stop trying to convert the rest of us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. fairy tales are made up stories meant to entertain children.
    ancient genesis' of gods were not based on children's stories.
    they were scripted by people trying to rationalize the unexplainable.

a few months ago i was about to recycle a pot with a dead pepper plant when i noticed one Serrano pepper that was still hanging on, but all dried up. i broke it open and planted the few dozen seeds. as they emerged, i pulled out all but one and let it grow. today there are about a dozen green peppers that will turn red in a few weeks.

serrano pepper plant.jpg

10,000 years ago it would have been easy to believe in gods or a God.
    how else could you explain miracles like this... along with so many other realms of nature.

16. I feel that:
    A. People are built to have sex. Its simply a natural urge.
    B. The Catholic Church won’t “allow” marriage; ie: bangin’.

Right off the bat is a major issue that can only lead to trouble. I also think that because of tye whole way the Catholic Church is set up that it naturally draws predators.

330,000 kids molested by 3,000 priests isn’t just an odd molestation here or there - the math doesn’t lie. And this is only in one country over 70-75 years.

They need to be shut down.

btw this isn’t anything personal etc etc - just conversation.

peace

j

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. #917 tklmyfeet, Oct 27, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    The church provides, plus being a priest can give you auto trust so people feel you are approachable. Not to take away from the honest priests but to a predator this is a huge win. I’m provided for, the priesthood gives me a “shield” and I get almost instant respect and trust, not mention I’m now very approachable.

This looks like a lot of incentive for a predator.

Let me also add, I think a "criminal" and a "Predator" are two different things. Yes, in this case a Predator is a criminal as well, but they seem to be (not all) more educated, wealthier, and quite street smart. They blend in. They have standing in the community, and might be well respected even outside their communities. You never see them coming in most cases.

Hmmm...? The "occupation" of being a Priest, I mean this just opens doors, right?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Funny thing is when Roman empire’s fall the pope took the empire’s title and to this day rules billions of people .. essentially the Roman Empire …
    Religious stuff exists so society can not fix aging or disease and claim a god is Jesus and he’s coming back to resurrect the dead .
    It’s all Astro theology resold as something new … ancient Dagon religion addded into it .
    If there’s a god no one would die everything would have immortality..
    Death makes everything meaningless; why care about anything if your going to be annihilated forever. ??? May as well blew them earth up with bombs .. same result
    Life isn’t real if there’s no afterlife we’re just an advanced dodo bird (extinct) / monkey thing …

19. Some disbelievers (in this forum) want to drive the point home over and over until someone agrees with them. Again, I don't care what they believe. I only care what I believe.

20. Yeah if there’s a god why is this what ends up of all life ? If he was so omnipotent nothing would be temporary..
    https://nypost.com/2021/10/30/new-y...ook&utm_medium=news_tab&utm_content=algorithm