Do you believe in god?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by greenterror, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Forget your preconceived notion about the holistic man in the clouds god. If I said the universe is god, it's everything, it's your conscious soul. You are god. Do you believe?

2. [quote name='"greenterror"']Forget your preconceived notion about the holistic man in the clouds god. If I said the universe is god, it's everything, it's your conscious soul. You are god. Do you believe?[/quote]

No, I don't.

3. That's a pointless discussion, to me.

Forget your preconceived notion about the holistic man in the clouds god. If I said your shoe is god, it's everything, it's your conscious soul. Your shoe is god. Do you believe?

I believe in my shoe. Do you believe in your shoe?

Of course I believe in the universe. But I don't believe in god.

If you want to call the universe "god", then fine. But it's no different from calling anything else god and asking if people believe in it.

4. I'm tired of these. Oh wells, carry on chaps and gals.

5. Some people are able to see that there is no evidence for God, but are scared to not believe. So they cop out and say God is everything, sometimes with a plan, sometimes not.

If everyone is special, no one is. If God is everything, then nothing is..

6. [​IMG]

7. No. Frankly I have more interesting things to care about.

8. Why isn't there a "I don't know" option >_< It doesn't have to be a yes or no question.

9. My dick is god.....do you believe in it :p

10. Simple answer: nope.

11. Unequivically

12. I believe that something had to exist to create creation, but how existence exists is beyond me.

13. I believe that there is some sort of god(s) or a higher presence(s). But I don't believe in a god as the way that you described it.

14. Which god? There are thousands of 'em...

15. I don't believe in a personification of god. That people believe a supreme being responsible for everything created them in his image is incredibly vain to me. I believe in the possibility of an omnipotent force, but I don't think it has a consciousness and wants faith from man.

16. i believe the existence of god is possible but beyond that no i do not

17. I'm trying to explain a different perspective of what god is believed to be. Religion was created to explain functions of the universe from a philosophical perspective, and it was corrupted by control, as an act of man.

Personification of god occurred because we lacked the higher understanding of the universe we have today. We attributed human qualities to describe the presence of the universe and it's functionality.

Think about it like this: The universe encompasses everything, uni means one, after all. The universe created us. Yes, we evolved to be as we are, but we are also, quite literally, created from particles of the universe. If we are created by the universe, by particles of the universe, we are in fact part of the universe. We are god.

How can we each be god if there is only one god? Is it possible humans share a collective consciousness? That we are all the same conscious beings, just develop differently based on our life experiences and environment. We all have an ego, our concept of self, and we understand the basic function of ego is to grow itself. How does one do so? You can boost your ego by increasing materialistic possessions, having power over people, or simply being negative.

Surely if these actions boost your ego, there must be someway to decrease it. The opposite of power and greed would be love and empathy, so how can we act out of love if such a thing would destroy ego?

Is it possible the human soul consists of consciousness (love) and ego (self) and every thought or actions derives from one of the two?

18. [quote name='"greenterror"']Think about it like this: The universe encompasses everything, uni means one, after all. The universe created us. Yes, we evolved to be as we are, but we are also, quite literally, created from particles of the universe. If we are created by the universe, by particles of the universe, we are in fact part of the universe. We are god.

How can we each be god if there is only one god? Is it possible humans share a collective consciousness? That we are all the same conscious beings, just develop differently based on our life experiences and environment.[/quote]

Using that logic, we all share consciousness because we're all human, we're related. But does that mean we share consciousness with the apes and monkeys we are related to? How many adaptations need to occur until consciousness is no longer shared by a species? What about all the other species who came from the same ancestor? Do we share consciousness with fish? Amphibians? Reptiles? Other mammals? Remember, if everyone is the same kind of special, no one is.. That can be applied to your collective consciousness depending on where YOU draw the line.

19. Everything shares the same consciousness. Humans aren't special, we only perceive more (not always, dogs perceive smell better, for example). Naturally, there will come a time when our perception allows us to see the look on someone's face 500 feet away.

20. So the special thing didn't work as planned.. Imagine any color, I am going to go with pink for titty awareness. If EVERYTHING in the universe was pink, there would be no use for the word pink, let alone color. Visually, you can't tell this from that. Hell, eyesight probably wouldn't have even evolved, there's really no need. Others senses like sonar and picking up on electrical fields would of squashed out eyesight back when life was still in the ocean.

But anyway, if EVERYTHING in the universe (the Sun, the Moon, water, earth, the day sky, the night sky, the pinks of your eyes, grass, skin, rocks.. everything) is ONE thing, then it's pretty much not..

Let's say God is everything though. He is going to have the same feelings towards you as he does everything else. Which I think we can agree on? You can slap any emotion you want on this feeling of his. Love, hate, pride, whatever you want, but it's the same for everything else. If he'd even greet every life form to pass over, it'd basically be "Sup, you died, now you're part of EVERYTHING" and get dispersed across the universe. You be witnessing every atom, event, life, death in the universe and possibly through all time, and you wouldn't even know it.. Unless of course you're holding on to the hope that you'd still retain some kind of consciousness? Sorry bud, you're part of the "everything" now.

Speaking of, energy cannot be created or destroyed. I don't even think God can break that law, I mean he is already everything, why would he? He is just going to recycle your consciousness into a spiritual soup. The same consciousness con carne he pulled you from, and I don't think you remember being part of that before you were born. I sure don't.. What makes you think you'll even know anything after?

The whole "God is everything" thing is just.. :mad: It's like you're right there.. You see that there is NO evidence of God, nothing you've ever taken in with one of your five senses.. but you're too scared to let go of the concept. Fear of punishment in the afterlife, hope of reward in the afterlife, the fact that you were raised on hear say, whatever reason, you're just scared.

Don't be scared man..