Do you believe in God, or some other higher power?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by Klopy, Feb 20, 2015.

1. IMO any argument for a creator is philosophical not scientific.

The part that bothers me is people accept science as if it supersedes philosophy or suggest philosophy is irrelevant, when in fact the scientific method is a philosophy.

In order for the scientific method to be meaningful, we first must assume an objective external reality, for instance. We could argue philosophically that the external reality is objective, but using empirical evidence to prove the scientific method is circular reasoning.

2. yeah, the arguments i use about that is that people years ago thought that their science was 100% correct as we do, when it wasnt and we are in the same position, science has a few unanswerable questions and anything that cant be answered has infinite possibilitys

3. And the answers science gives are, of course, tentative.

4. I don't believe every single thing said in the bible, no. However, I do believe that there is someone up there watching over us. Maybe it's wishful thinking but, I feel him. I don't believe that whoever doesn't believe in Christ will go to hell, though. Some people have never heard of him, some people are buddhist because they were raised that way, and if God is as understanding and loving as he was portrayed to be, then he wouldn't send them to burn in hell. I believe if you're a good person, you'll go to heaven. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

5. Eskimo: So, if I didn't know about God I wouldn't go to hell?
    Man: No if you didn't know then you won't be punished
    Eskimo: Why did you tell me then?

6. I think it's interesting every human being who has the cognitive ability to wonder if there is a God asks themselves 'is there a God?' ... leads me to believe there is a God

7. Which "God" do you prefer, considering "cognitive ability" of course?

8. All betts on Jesus Christ my friend!

9. that being said I was speaking to the question which was more generic than specific... not saying my point would at all prove that he is God just that it was one consideration in believing there was a God to believe in in the first place

10. Yes side is winning, so it has to be true.

Isn't that how it really works?

11. Crazy unrelated question...how do you set your avatar? Thought I had it but not showing up....

"A hungry man is an angry man" ~ Bob Marley
    Nm!

12. Why?

What historian contemporary to the life and times of Jesus Christ wrote about him, IN DETAIL?

13. You're giving me waaay too much credit :) anything historical I read about Jesus came after the fact

Now I do find Josephus writings to be interesting but more so the parts that weren't about Jesus than the parts that were (like the woman who believed she actually made love to Adonis in the temple - kinda hot for a thousands old history book :-O)

What about you? Who do you think God is n why IN DETAIL lol

14. So because it was forced and perpetuated over the years that must mean he exists.

Its been a while since ive seen dragons, bigfoot, and the lochness monster

15. Hmmm..I don't remember being forced by anyone to ponder the existence of God

16. #256 420DJ, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2016
    I am Christian and I believe in the Christian God, Christ. He is the most believed in God among all the religions. Both Christian and Jews believe in Christ, its just some Jews believe that Christ hasn't come yet. Its the same God though and their own documents prove it, they are just blind to it. If you actually read the bible, it pretty much becomes clear that other religions were created to deceive. Not to say they are bad but I do believe they are wrong. I believe that Christ is God and sometimes I surprise myself with how devote in that belief I am.

17. Yes I believe in a spiritual force . I pull from Hinduism , Buddhism and Native American beliefs the most. All scripture is profitable for reproof and correction. There are many paths to the finish line . To me the key is love !

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum mobile app

18. If I happened to be an Almighty Spirit, I would have sent my message tailored for each indigenous populace.
    It would be based in "effective communications" for what their culture and background was at the time.
    How else do you communicate?
    :smoke:

19. If I happened to be an Almighty Spirit, I would seriously be disappointed in those that have proposed to misinterpret my will... [​IMG]

20. I've taken LSD, seen a lot of interesting things in the art culture, survived a serious car accident, beat addictions that most people don't beat. From my personal experiences, there has got to be SOMETHING, inside us, above us that is witnessing whats going on here. Something unfathomable to ordinary understanding.