Do you believe everything happens for a reason?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Zombique, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Is there some substance behind this frame of thought? Or is it some BS that helps us feel better when undesirable stuff happens in our lives?

• Like Like x 1
  2. No. Everything is random.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yes - there's a reason I stepped off the curb and was hit by a taxi -

I'm a dumb ass...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Let me know when you find the answer to this.
    My husband died at age 36 when the boom of a crane fell on him. People kept saying things like "everything happens for a reason or "people choose how they are going to die before they are born"

I'd like to know what the reason was since everything happens for a reason. What was the reason my husband chose to make me a widow at age 35 or make my children lose their father when they were 3 and 6 years old.

I HATE that statement!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  6. I'm so sorry for your loss. :-( I hate that statement too. We are all subjected to hard, harsh, cruel, and sometimes seemingly impossible situations or events...and I don't believe any "reason" would ever make it right/justified in our lives.
    But in the darkest hour, we must remember the light to survive. While your husband's death was tragic and untimely, take heart....his life had incredible purpose and meaning....and though extremely difficult and challenging...I know you miss him so very much....you and your husband produced 2 beautiful children together. They are a part of him that truly lives on.
    I think that he would have wanted you to live a happy life. He would have never chose to leave you widowed. But he would want you to find strength within you, and find solace in the memories you cherish of him...to help you through the tough times, knowing that while he's not here the way he was, he's somehow still here with you....in spirit and in love.

• Like Like x 2
  7. I believe everything happens for a reason, but not in a spiritual kind of way. A thing can only occur in accordance with the natural laws of the universe. The fate of our lives (and the universe as a whole) might even be predetermined by natural laws, but I am really not sure.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Everything that is, just happens to be that way. Bargaining with death is a grief process coping mechanism rational minds use to sympathize with loss.

Whether or not predestined planned or predetermined ways of genetic codes deliver functionality to life, the fact still remains that we are here living it without any resolute answer as to why. All in all, this is why we have religion. Mourning the dead and honoring the living to remember who were are and from whence we hailed.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Low carb is the way to go. I lost 100 lbs almost 10 years ago once I found that out. I bought little paperback that showed how many carbs were in everything. I cut out bread, potatoes, noodles, rice, and of course candy. I've cut
    way down on my smoking and that helps a ton. It's hard for me not to hunt down chocolate if I have smoked any in the last few hours. Planning on not smoking at all today. I have pretty much completely quit dabbing. I have dabbed twice in the last couple of months and I was dabbing every evening. I got rid of all my wax and shatter.

I wish I knew someone who wanted to take 2 lbs of good weed off my hands.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. The way in which things can be said to occur can be discerned by a highly ordered cognitive structure.

11. I believe life is random. And as humans we try to find reason and meaning in everything. Sometimes we create meaning tailored to fit our own personal reality.

• Like Like x 4
  12. I think life is very ordered and structured rather than random. Life exists in a constant battle against chaos which is why it needs to spend energy to maintain order. Entropy is something similar to chaos and it is this very thing I've always felt that life exists in opposition to in a strange kind of way.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Life is just a series of random events that we try to rationalize as being apart of some greater plan. Our actions have consequences. That's it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Yes i believe everything happens for a reason that we are never aware of until the moment we realize we are. in other words there is no useless experience because you can learn from everything and even the worst of tragedies can lead to something good. I'm sorry to hear that @Oregondaisy. With every tragedy is sparked something positive behind the scenes, in my opinion. anyway i believe there's a reason in random. i insist. it's sort of the butterfly effect.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lost my father when I was 6 years old at the time I never understood why. When I got older I found out that if he would have lived my life would be different . When I was old enough to move out of my mom's house I moved to a little town where he lived for most of his life because I wanted to see why he chose this place I got a job working at the same place my father did when he was younger and I met someone and had kids.so if he never would have died I never would have had the life and kids I have today so i belive everything happens for a reason and he made me the man I am today even though he died so long ago everyday I try to please him because I know he's always watching.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. No I don't, although formulating theories is good entertainment. Hard to prove scientifically of course.

Reality is very spontaneous, it doesn't follow a 'path' or a 'way'. To assume that there are any reasons to anything happening is to subconsciously assume a god that has will over this reality and wants things to happen a certain way. That's just not the way reality is, there is no god everything is just happening without anyone forcing it to happen but nature itself which is not a separate or ultimate consciousness.

17. everything that happens is an effect of a previous cause.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Personally I'm past the stage of belief but i believe when one encounters heightened states of consciousness or transcendental states beyond physical limitations, one can understand that ultimately all is in a divine order of infinite possibility.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. #20 generic98547, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    Mispost