Do you and your parents have the same religon?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by miketb, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Just curious, who here follows the same religion as their parents?

My parents both are christian, but they don't go to church, and have not ever forced or tried to teach me religion. I think its influenced how I feel today about life/afterlife, however I do not consider myself a christian

2. my dads a non mainstream christian , my moms agnostic

im pretty sure im agnostic but i lean more towards there being a god

3. Both my parents are christians but neither go to church anymore. My dad made me go to church when i was younger and i made my communion and confirmation and all that. But after i made my confirmation my dad gave me the choice of if i wanted to keep going to church and i said no, just never interested me and i was always just trying not to fall asleep the whole time anyway haha. So then he had noone to go to church with anymore so i guess he stopped lol. But i know they both believe in god and all that still.

But i definately don't consider myself a christian anymore...i guess you can consider me an atheist because i don't believe in god but i don't really like being labeled anything...so i just consider my self a non-god believer hahaha.

4. Both of my parents are christian. Like most Christians, they dont go to church...or talk about god anyway.
    Which works for me, being agnostic and all. :hello:

5. Yeah, since I've never been to church, or read the bible I dont know to much about Christianity, which is the most popular in my family/friends. I don't know a thing about the different.. categories i guess i could say. I believe in a god/creator, but I don't think any of our mainstream religions on earth are correct, but like I've said I'm very unknowledged in most.

6. Lol i went to church and made my confirmation and shit and i still don't know shit about christianity hahaha....if something doesn't interest me and i don't want to be there i flat out don't pay any attention lmao.

7. #7 oodelally, Aug 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2010
    both of my parents are extremely religious Christians. I went to a christian school grades k-8th but I stopped considering myself a christian in 11th grade and I have not, nor will I ever, tell my parents that. shit wouldnt go over well lol

8. I told my mother, went better than expected. :D
    Good, shit, not having to pretend your something your not.
    its hard when you still live with them though.:p

9. #9 Shanx420, Aug 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2010
    Both my parents are Catholic and I was raised Catholic. They aren't strict Catholics but the basic shit was taught to me. I never went to church for an actual like "mass" or whatever, just for my baptism, weddings, Sunday school which occasionally involved "Confession" I think it was called, and first communion.

I love the catholic church for the building itself lol. It's so middle ages looking and every time I'm in a catholic church I get into a very spiritual state of mind. It's a beautiful place, but that's about it, I don't consider myself a Catholic or any form of Christian.

I do pretty strongly believe in God though I guess. I've always believed in God, even when I was a little kid, I remember walking up to one of my Sunday school teachers to tell them what I think God is. I remember we as a class were talking about what we think God might look like, and everyone was saying shit like, "I bet he has a huge beard" and shit like that. I just remember sitting there like no way. So after we were done I walked up to the teacher and said, I think God is just a huge white "ball" of light. I just think it's funny that that's what I thought as a kid, because that's more or less what I still believe. That God is basically just the cosmic center, not an actual person.

10. Both parents were/are Christian, I'm an an Atheist. :wave:

11. I'm atheist
    Moms a Methodist
    Dad is agnostic/doesn't care

12. I don't even know what religion my parents are. I know they believe in something.. but idk what.

My parents didn't push a religion on me, they let me choose what I wanted to believe in.

I've never really had a religion myself though. I believe religion was created before laws to give people order. Other than that all religion seems pointless and fake to me. I'd like to believe there's something/someone out there, but it's hard to accept.

13. My mom is an gnostic christian, my dad is an atheist, or doesn't care.
    I'm Chanceist Agnostic Buddhist.

14. Both my parents are christians, and so I'm I...

15. Jewish family through and through

16. I voted no, but it could go either way. My parents are both Jews, and I am too, but I don't believe in god. In that way, I don't think we follow the same religion because I only identify with Judaism on an ethnic/cultural level, not in any religious way.

17. religion? psssh, i'm better than that. :rolleyes:

18. :hello::hello:

19. i love who ever posted this here because i just about to tell you how me and my dad are arguing over religion ... he even wants to kick me out the house because of my religios views. my dad is christian but doesnt rarely go to church he doe pray everyday though.. but i am islamic and strong with my fate.. ever since i took my shahada.. today i was fasting and he didnt like it.. sparked up a whole argument saying all this cruel things :mad: he told me to move out.. what kinda parent kicks someone out because of what they havein their heart.

20. You see thats whats fucked up about religion. If everyone believed whatever they wanted and didnt care what anyone else believed in shit like that wouldn't happen. One religion is just as valid as another...
    I could say we all came out of godzilla's ass and it would be JUST as valid as any other religion because NONE of them have conclusive proof.
    sorry bout your dad man, had the same problem. :rolleyes: