Do Ya"ll Play?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by cowboysaxman, Feb 18, 2002.

?

DO YA"LL PLAY?

1. YES I"M A MUSICIAN!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NO..But wish I was!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No..But I Love Music!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Only play "skin-flute"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. I have a drum set but I don't really play them often. I'm really into guitar, but I don't think I'm good.

2. If you can pick guitar at all you're better than me..LOL (struggling to learn)......But it's waaay cool to be modest about your ability......I've seen too many good bands destroyed by EGO conflicts!!! :smoking:

3. I play bass guitar. I'm not in a band, never have been. I auditioned for on a few years back, but they screwed me over and it has kind of broken my confidence since then.

To clarify my position on the whole "Are you a musician" thing...I would say playing an instrument (anything, even voice) is one requirement. if you can take that instrument and play it with your heart and soul, you're a musician.

As far as gear goes I've got nothing great. I have a cort electric and a roundback Ovation replica acoustic/electric. My little brother blew my only amp (30 watt Roland practice) but I have since acquired a 100 watt Garnet head, and little bro is supplying me with a cabinet. Right now I'm using my girlfriends little Peavey Rage 108. It's a little practice amp but I live in an apartment so it gets the job done.

Fortunately, I managed to sucker my little bro into giving up his stuff when I move back home, so i will also have a sweet 5 string (don't know the make), which is nice because I've been wanting a 5 string forever!

Ganjaphish, I like your style!

-Debaser

4. Ive played off and on for years, been in a few bands. I have a Gibson Double Cutaway Lespaul and and Alesis Keyboard. I agree with ganjaphish about how playing piano can become almost like a mediatation, but when your jammin with people you no longer have to think about playing its just natural and almost like a mininirvana expierience. Music is great even if its just beating on a rock. =)

Zach

5. or beating on a DRUM :D some of the funnest times i've had is @ the whole earth festival they have in davis every year, and these huge ass drum circles form.. and people are just pounding their souls out, never had practiced before but sounding better than most!
    woo hoo.
    i'm not able to wait now ~~ i think it's in may...

6. I play acoustic guitar, and I sing, but I'm kinda out of practice in both areas. I think tokers tend to be very musica and/or creative! I also used to play quite a mean recorder in grade school. :)

7. LOL, my Lil' sister played recorder in gradeschool. I still cringe at the memory LMAO!!!
    We sure got the makin's of a Damn FUN band!!! Just call it "BLADES" !!!! :smoking:

8. you go scamp!
    hey cowboysaxman don't you be dissin' on the recorders, i rocked that thing in elementary school too ~~ ;)
    xo

9. din't forget that a recorder is used in stairway to heaven, it's a jammin instrument lol

10. LOL @ ganjaphish!!! I'm sure you and scamp are very talented recorder players.....lol.....My Sister however, was NOT!!! LOL!! Sounded like she was trying to stuff a cat in a garbage disposal!!! :smoke:
    You and scamp can join me in the Horn section of "Blades. the Band"!!! (And I'll show ya'll how to use those recorders to launch paper-wads at those egotistical guitar pickers!!!)lmao! :hippie:

11. Careful where you launch those spitballs, guitars can be used as bad ass rocket launchers ie..pencils,pens and what ever else you can get your hands on. lol

12. Yeah you're right! I forgot the "Bow & arrow" capabilities of those 'axes' LOL! :hippie:

13. I play the guitar and have been for around 7 or 8 years now. I have a sunburst Fender strat and a washburn acoustic. I like improvising with my friends, especially after we have all had a good smoke. I like to think that I am pretty good, but one can never be too sure.

14. Ive been playin drums for 7 years... got a pearl gloss black set with zildjyan cymbals (can never get that damn spelling right) 3 toms 4 cym. and a cowbell

15. yeah i play guitar, i have an awesome washburn lion series strat......i've had it since i was 9 and it's still in almost perfect condition......

16. I can sing pretty well, though i'm losing my range and i play guitar. i've only been playin for 2 years, but i'm picking up really quickly (lessons are a huge help). i have a transparent black epiphone les paul and a 30 watt vox pathfinder. i'm in a metal band (we don't have a name yet) and really have fun playin. i actually might go to a different college than the one i'm at so i can take music classes. well, that's about all for me....oh yeah, and guitar playing while stoned has really funny consequences....

17. I've been playing bass professionally for 8 years now. Trust me, it's a cool job; but it isn't as glamorous as it may seem.

For a true working musician there is no such thing as "sex, drugs, and rock n' roll". It's more like "thinking about sex, remembering drugs, and drinking Rolling Rock."

If I knew what I know now, I think I would have finished college first, then gone out to pursue my career in music.
    It would suck if I had to one day get a REAL job. But I have lots of fun doing what i do. And I can smoke all the pot I want without fear of a piss test. Life is great!!

18. I play Tuba, Trombone, String Bass, Guitar, and drums but I suck on drums.

19. I play keys and bass guitar. I play in a band with no name with my two younger brothers. We play a weird style of music. I play synth and drum machine/sampler. I also sing backing vocals. My brothers play guitar and bass and also do vocals. We're going to be putting up a website soon with some of our music on it. It's really trippy stuff.

20. I play bass. Ive been playing for about 4-5 years now. I mostly play funk, I realy like slap funk but Im starting to get into finger funk now too. I mostly play stuff like primus and 311. but I like to play anything that is funky. I also like playing reggae quite a bit. heres some pics of my setup (from the manufacturer's site, I gotta break out the digital camera and take some pics soon:)

this is my newest edition, its a carvin rl1015 bass amp, is got a 1000 watt ( yes 1000 watts) head with 4x10 and 1x15 speaker cabs.
    [​IMG]

here is my bass, it a Spector NS2000Q5 five string bass. It plays realy nice and this picture doesnt do the quilted maple top justice.

[​IMG]