do witnesses get drug tested?

Discussion in 'General' started by averagetoker, Mar 4, 2010.

1. im a witness for a manufacturing and intent to sell or something court case, against the defendent. will i get drug tested? this if for the state of Michigan, if that changes anything. thanks!

2. Why are you supporting the current drug laws?

Did this guy happen to kill, rape, or harm any other being?

3. no im under subpoena. im not going to say anything as i have a lawyer (dont ask), but i dont want this to prolong my T-break any more. i dont even know the guy to be honest. i dont know if he rapes, kills, steals, etc., i just want to know if i have to pee in a cup if im a witness

4. So how can you testify against someone you don't know, if you don't know anything about them?

Excuse my ignorance.

5. i dont know either man. i just got a subpoena, and if im not there, then i get a bench warrent and all this bad stuff happens to me. so im gonna go and not speak a single word. its really weird, i looked at the guys name and was like "wtf? ive never met this guy before". but i HAVE to be there or else. im just hoping i dont get drug tested

6. Let me google that for you

EDIT: Well after I did this, I realized the first link on Google is to this thread, making it much less useful... Sorry for my failure of a witty response, because I have no idea of the answer to your question.

7. lol yeah, believe me ive done my fair share of googling. its like no one has ever been a witness in a marijuana case before. i honestly doubt that but i guess ill be the first if no one else steps up. ill let the world know, dont worry lol

8. well if they do, what can they do? you arent testifying.

9. yeah but ill be in the courtroom though

10. #10 k_semler, Mar 4, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2010
    If you have nothing to testify about, then nothing's going to happen. DT's only happen if you are under court order for it, or the judge has reasonable suspicion to believe you to be under the influence of any substance. In the subpoena documentation, do you see a stipulation regarding a possible DT? (besides show up not under the influence of any substance and be of sound mind).

If you are willfully withholding information, you can be thrown in jail for a year and/or fined US$5000. The fifth amendment is only applicable in instances where you may incriminate your self, a significant life partner/spouse, or immediate family member.

RCW 9.27.015: Interference, obstruction of any court, building, or residence -- Violations.

Chapter 7.21 RCW: Contempt of court

11. I wouldn't think so but it seems even if they did all they could really do is deem you unreliable and tell you to go away. Just talking off the top of my head here.

12. how about when a lawyer, who is renowned for things like this, tells you not to say a single word?

13. Lmao that made me laugh alot idk y

14. Follow orders. I don't know what state your in, and nor am I familiar with your state statutes. If the orders are lawful, follow them. If a lawyer you are paying good money for advises you to remain silent, and you have a second opinion confirming the same, then follow that advice.

(see first paragraph of my post), if you don't know something, then they can't hold you lack of knowledge of a defendant's situation against you. If you have no idea what the dude was up to, or what he did while he did whatever he was doing, then nothing will happen other then a very fast interrogation before you get asked to step down from the stand.

15. well yeah thanks for the info, its the best ive gotten so far

16. If you don't know who the guy is just say that lol, if you don't know anything there's not much you can say in the first place.

17. Help you snitch? Na..I'm straight man..

Your doin pretty good tellin us you don't know shit..where was that when the badge was askin you?

18. lol im not snitching. even if i did, it couldnt hurt him anymore, the mans already been charged and put in front of the nastiest judge in my area. ive been subpoena'd for some reason, and i really dont want to get involved. so im doing him a favor and not saying anything, just wondering if i have to stop smoking for this. but thanks for the info bro.

19. If you don't know anything, then you don't know anything. It will not be, and cannot be held against you. You won't have to do a DT unless they have reasonable suspicion to believe that you are under the influence of an intoxicating substance at the time of testimony.

(do I hear an echo in here?)

ECHO! *Echo, echo, echo...*

20. some of the most intelligent info on this post. thanks guy