Do Vegging Plants Need Any Dark Time?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Drakeroberts, Apr 21, 2009.

1. This one time It was raining so I brought it inside. I noticed it grew more leafs faster then before.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. well let me correct myself roots do most of there growing when the plant is sleep, not while performing photosynthesis which leads them to be in a state called respiration when the light source leaves. I think that's the correct term i learned it in horticulture class. basically when the plant is in the dark the top of the plant growth slows and the roots speed up their growth just as its vice versa when the lights are on( top growing faster then roots)
    and i know this cause in class we were shown a video of a plant growing from seeds through freeze frame and we saw the true leaf ect ect grow  along with the difference in the growth rate of the root system during times of light vs times of darkness. i treat weed just as any other plant they all have similar growing characteristics. 

http://www.cmg.colostate.edu/gardennotes/141.html
    thsi links tells a little bit about respiration and transpiration (when the roots absorb water and minerals and send them to where the plants need them. is that enough science for you or would you like more im sure i could find a video showing the difference in root growth vs day and night.

4. I looked for yer journal.. no findy yer journey...

one bud at a time

5. #125 Rumpleforeskin, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2013
     Um, your link says that "Respiration" occurs in dark and light. Quite different from your statement

This table is from the link you posted.
    [​IMG]
    I don't think the link you posted backs up your claim that plants mostly grow roots while sleeping.

Not enough science to make the point that roots only grow in the dark cycle. So many growers veg/clone with no dark cycle and get healthy root balls, how does that happen?

Plants now require sleep? Are you sure about this?

Why do most cloning guides say to leave the lights on 24 hours a day if the roots only grow at night?

I need to know if I am doing it all wrong here.

6. I wasnt saying roots only grow at night and if i lead you to believe that by any misstatement i apologize i thought i said that in my previous post. wow why so hostile have i earned myself a personal nemesis lol man relax matter fact smoke a bowl you wanna hit the peace pipe?

7. them damn venture kids if only they knew they were clones lol

8. im a rookie so i made a rookie mistake and started 2 journals cause i couldn't find the first one but im going combine them cause it shows my pilgrimage to success i hope so here are links to both of them and ill post pics later today cause i watered and feed last night so i want to show the new growth.

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1228023-first-grow-1000wt-indoor.html

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-grow-journals/1228023-first-grow-1000wt-indoor.html

9.  No one is being hostile at all. Just a discussion among folks who grow weed. The forums are made to share and discus ideas and opinions. A great learning tool. To disagree or challenge your facts is not unfriendly at all.

You said most of the root growth is done while your plant is "sleeping" and you posted a link to back up the claim. Can you show the part in that link that does this?

After trying it both ways with the same clone in the same room/conditions I have found that 18/6 veg light cycle will work fine. It is 25% slower but it can come in handy if your worried about noise or "heat of the day". Some like to shut down during the hot part of the day to maintain cool temps.

This is a good post from HighTimes about veg light cycle:
    Need the dark

by Ed Rosenthal. Posted on Thursday, October 23 2003 11:00:00 PM

Do plants need a dark period during the vegetative cycle?
    <span>[​IMG]</span>

Question: Does marijuana require a dark period during the vegetative growth stage? I recently read a grow book that advocated an 18-6 light cycle during the early growth stages.

Answer: One way in which plants are categorized is by the way they gather and handle carbon dioxide. Cannabis is a C3 plant. It uses the CO2 it gathers during the light period, when it is photosynthesizing. Plants designated C4 also gather CO2 during the dark period for use during the light period. Many C3 plants, including cannabis, do not need a rest period. They continue to photosynthesize as long as they are receiving light.
    The plant's photosynthetic rate determines its growth rate because the sugars are used by the plant to build tissue and for energy. Cannabis under continuous light will grow 33% faster than the same plants on an 18-6 light regime.

10. yes all this  is true so i take it you are going to hit my peace pipe (puff puff ) and ill try and get the video from my teacher she has a video from like the 80's that some guy did time lapsed video of plants growing from seeds(she says videos like that are hard to find and my Google results have shown cause i have tried to prove this point before guess only one plant geek had all that time to video a plant in such a way) i think they were peas ,but anyhow the root growth during day time vs dark was highly noticeable ill say a 75% increase just my assumption. but i treat weed as any other plant just trying to focus on the chemical needs ect 

11. #131 Rumpleforeskin, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2013
    Try and keep your chemicals as simple as possible. Over use of plant foods and additives will just slow growth down.

I would test different light cycles again if I switched to growing peas. But most C3 plants require no dark period (it is why I asked for a scientific answer to a well known question). But I do in fact find a use for a dark period in some cases (heat, noise). Also if you veg in a separate room, you may not need fast growth, in that case you can use a dark period and fluorescents and still be ready when your flower room opens up.

My cutting to basket ready clone. No dark period:
    [​IMG]

75 days later:
    [​IMG]

I did use a dark period during flowering.

I don't smoke.

12. Damn that shit is awesome..

one bud at a time