Do Vegging Plants Need Any Dark Time?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Drakeroberts, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Nothing I do in my grow room looks natural.

2. Well i have a thought for ya then. What if you started your plants out on 18/6, let the roots get established for like 2 weeks then switch it to 24/0?

3. I like pics... not as big as Rumple but its up there.

24/0--->12/12
    1 Blue Diesel
    2'x4' Scrog
    400w HPS
    Fox Farm Lineup
    RDWC
    Total Yield: 12.3oz

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Well grow on my friend. Sure that hydro system speeds things up quite a bit. Damn pretty harvest, this is the kinda shit that makes me want to do this.

5. Now we're getting somewhere , and as usual the common sense approach for the
    optimal result resides somewhere between the two extreme ends of the opinion
    spectrum. Since I tend to maintain too many strains and tend to experiment way
    too much I've arrived at a system that seems to strike a balance , keep in mind
    that *growing style and system* has it's effect on whether you want short fat
    butterballs or a bit lankier plant that will ten to allow more light in farther down.

What currently works well for me , clones under t5 ubtil roots are prolific from the
    rockwool block , then into 4 x 4 6 inch deep or 1gallon softpots ( which aren't even close to a gallon)...ten to twelve days at 24 hours under a big T5 . subsequently to 20/4 or 18/6 or a permutation in between dependent upon specifc strain. Finish veg usually in three weeks , some sativas go an extra week. This reliably gives me plats of 15 to
    19 inches ( strain dependent) that I don't have to 'lollipop' or double bump.

This has given *me* fairly optimal results across a variety of strains with quite a
    variety of genetics , and frankly it seems to work especially well with the far northern
    genetics and those originating from similar latitudes.

I also start bringing the light down in duration and raise the light itself gradually higher in the last three weeks or so of flowering.

Once again , your mileage may vary , and since I'm about to start experimenting
    with two african landraces , one of which is equatorial this method may well have to evolve.

It does however make for an endlessly interesting discussion.Much better that " what strain is da bestest" and " my nutes are better than your nutes." argueing.

6. so if i have any type of light leek into my growroom during six hours of darkness will any hermies rise when i start to flower?

7. I was told that roots grow more during night cycle then the day. so thats why i run 18/6 in veg

8. Makes me feel like I should just be feeding my plants Pabst Blue Ribbon. LOL

I've been growing a few different strains but just recently started a Ryder/Autoflower. It's been flowering in my 20/4 light cycle and it just makes me think, there has to be something that you could feed the plant to flower under a longer light cycle.

9. [quote name='"(d)bubba(k)"']so if i have any type of light leek into my growroom during six hours of darkness will any hermies rise when i start to flower?[/quote]

The more light you let shine on your ladies when they're supposed to be dark the greater chance they have of being hermies.

10. I haven't been growing for very long, but I've learned a lot already. On my last grow I did 24/0 in veg. The plants never saw a moment of darkness until I switched to flower. I did this because another grower told me you can complete your veg cycle in 20% less time that way. He was right. I finished my veg cycle a week and a half early. After they reached about 22 inches in height from the base of their stems, I switched to flowering.

Here are 6 plants I grew from lousy bagseed, their last day of veg. 3 turned out to be male.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. That's why there are auto-flower strains lol. The hormone has evolved to be triggered by growth time rather than dark periods. Evolution did it for us if you want to go that route buy auto-flower seeds.

12. What kind of lights and how many watts are you using man? They look incredible. I am only growing one and looks pretty much the same, very healthy. Wonder if I could grow more under the same watts I have 185 total watts of fluorescent half and half red and blue spectrum.

13. ill agree with this cause roots grow at night aka dark while the top of the plants grows in the light

14. This is a waste of time and does nothing to help flower initiation. When you are ready to flower just turn the lights to 12/12.

PW

How do you know this? Do you have a good link to any scientific data saying the roots only grow at night?

Some how my roots still grow with the lights on, is my plant sick or something?
    [​IMG]

16. I have come to accept that there is always going to be two schools of thought on this question. In my own situation, 18/6 works great for me. The plants I veg are always waiting on the plants in the flower room to finish up, so there is no need for me to force the plant to grow any quicker than it already does. 18/6 saves me electricity and bulb life.

17. not to mention in my opinion it helps build root base, and stimulate growth spurts.. i also think it plays a role in minimizing stretch and speeding up the response to flipping into flower.. thatbeing saidd, lets go into some sciencce.. a marijuana plant takes in co2 during daylight hours as fuel for photosynthesis.. during nite hours, it does just the opposite, it emits co2.. so when you turn your lights on it has created a small suppply of co2 around each leaf is the theory.. its also proven that the % of emission dramatically increases at 6 hours and results in the existing +o2 produced to be slowly tainted with more and more oxygen as it sits, producing almost nill co2. This is how the 18/6 time period came about. Tho a plant will grow healthy and strong in a 24 hour light i believe that root strructure and flowering performance are improved by vegging in a 18/6 environment.. my personal exp and opinion so far, 18/6 makes bigger healthier roots, in turn makin bigger and healthier flowers.. its all in exp and preference.. i didnt really notice much increase in veg growth during 24 hr light on but i still do it when im lacking enuff timers..

one bud at a time

18. they dont only grow at night, the plant is allowed to focus entirely on root development at nite without light forcing the process of photosynthesis..

one bud at a time

19. And thats a mean ass root mass foreskin.. damn. Not sure why all these guys are tryin to teach u, the way i understand it yer the teach in this neck of the woods.. i see yer handle mentioned all over the city...

one bud at a time