Do Vegging Plants Need Any Dark Time?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Drakeroberts, Apr 21, 2009.

1. If we're trying to be completely accurate...cannabis doesnt utilize the calvin cycle :smoke:

photoperiod for me, anyhow

2. Ummm... yeah, it does actually.

-Loki

3. what? I am hoping you aren't serious with that statement...

4. it may be because im stoned but this shit is funny. i have been 24/0 from day one.

rumple...ive seen your pics of rootballs and harvests...and damn. ill do whatever you say buddy.

smooth knows what hes talking about too.

ender....your a dumbass

5. Its not just you and I think your post is particularly funny :)..thanks for the laugh..guess I'll be trying 24/0 after summer is over, I'm just too curious after all the recent talk. :smoke::smoke:

6. I agree completely, but felt the need to add that it might not even reduce power bills because of the extra time it would take reaching your desired veg height. In terms of cooling the lights down resulting in longer lifespan I guess that would be true.

Edit: Not to start debate, just my $0.02

7. I dont think c3 plants need rest per se....Ed says 24 hrs yields a ~33% faster growth rate in veg. Need the dark | Cannabis Culture Magazine

Dark is required for Cannabis flower, though, because the flowering hormones are sensitive to light and cannot build up to sufficient levels with out enough darkness.

8. The marijuana optics page is an awsome write!And imformative,I will say that I believe that some form of short dark cycle is while maybe not completly necessary,needed by the plant as a rest period that I believe helps assimilate hormones and vitamins in anticipation for the next light period,I may be wrong if anything it helps the electric bill since you may get quicker growth but not necessarily a shorter growing period.

9. sorry Mag just seen your reply.

10. HIGH all as this SuperSilver haze hit my head I remembered that the one time that I believe the use of a 24hr. light period is essential is if you are reverting the plants which I think works better with seed plants than clones,and also lends itself to some different growth patterns in the use of scrog.I have found that not all plants like to revert and that I have more success with the ones that do by using 24hr light period and high nitrogen for 2 weeks then go to 18/6 for the remainder until induction to flower.

11. I started my plants out on a 24/0 cycle and they grew very poorly. so i germinated some seeds planted them 2 weeks later changed the light to 18/6. Best thing i could have ever done those later plants are the same size as the 24/0. I do NOT recommend you doing that unless the strain calls for conditions.

12. even though the mairjuana plant is able to tolerate 24hr light cuz its a c3 plant does not mean it likes it, it has been here for a very long time and at that time had a dark cycle... this is my opinion its better to mimic nature as much as possible but by putting it on 24/0 your not doing that ,, but if a plant is on 24hr light during that entire time it is growing and what not... but they are also trying to support there leaves to try and make them as big as possible.. this is not always a good thing.. when your on a 18/6 scheduale it gives the plants a chance to rest wich is very good because maybe its not growing as much during that time but its developing strong roots... so maybe it stretches more during the night cuz its in search of light correct but its also going to freak out the next day and grow more because the roots were growing during that 6 hours instead of the plant... all in all i have tested 20/4 , 24/0 and 18/6 i prefer myself 20/4 cuz it gives the plants a nice chance to relax and focus on growing underneath i guess im just blabbing on here just wanted to throw my experince out

13. ^^^^ light cycle is being changed from 18/6 to 20/4 tmrw haha ^^^

14. :hello: im glad i helped you out and inspired you to change your light cycle lol

15. Me to man, me too hah

16. Keen....I am not able to observe a difference between 24/0 and 18/6. I run 24/0 during the cooler months and 18/6 for Jun-Sept. They are just seeming to fill out slower.

17. Like fill out slower with 24/0 or 18/6?

18. why do you want to mimic nature so badly? nature doesn't know how to grow top notch chronic in 3 months....Humans do. Yes, plants GROW in nature. But do they thrive? rarely, without human interaction.

i dont understand how this is still a debate. Ed rosenthal plus multiple growers with years of experience are saying 24/0. They are reputable to say the least. If you didn't notice better growth with 24/0 light cycle then you were doing something else wrong.