Do Vegging Plants Need Any Dark Time?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Drakeroberts, Apr 21, 2009.

1. #21 zpyro, May 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2009
    I like this guy :D Well put, using supporting evidence for his points. I wish more people would think/write like this :smoking:

If you really want to do this yourself, you should be concentrating on mass and not height. As others have said, stretching != growing. If you really think the dark period makes the plants put on more mass, grow in hydro or aero and weigh your plants. That way there's no soil or anything, and you know exactly how much "growth" you're getting.

Or you could just listen to actual biology/botany, instead of "logical" assumptions and such. :D

2. I'm glad I found this thread because I was about to change to 18/6 to save power because a lot of people are spreading mistruths about 24/0 not doing anything.

What I learned is if you do 24/0 you get dense, short plants that grow 33% faster. Knowing that, you'd have to be insane not to go 24/0 unless you're a freakin miser.

3. Yeah, the Earth spins as it circles the Sun, this causes the Sun to appear to travel across the sky, giving us day and night.

The seasons are caused by the tilt of the Earth's axis on which it spins.

:cool:

4. Because when the plants go into a dark cycle they stretch for the light as opposed to bushing out like they would when they are on 24/0 cycle.

5. I never meant that the ONLY thing the plant does at night is grow, i was only using that as an argument in relation to the topic... Of course there are many other factors in what the plant does, and the scientific explaination is much more complex than i seem to make it, but i stated in the beginning that i wasnt trying to be scientific about it - just giving a general explaination..

I still disagree about 24/0 growing bigger/better/higher-yeilding plants, and prefer 18/6 for many reasons, including: it saves power, it gives your lights time to cool down which will in turn increase their lifespan, it gives the plants time to rest, and i truly believe that they grow a small amount more during the dark state than the light, among other reasons...

I think this thread can end on this final note:
    Everybody has their opinion. And while some believe my "facts" to be "opinions", many believe what i said to be "fact", because its an ongoing debate. I think there will always be two sides of it, and there will always be people who prefer 24/0 and people who prefer 18/6.. The decision lies in the hands of the grower, and is all a matter of OPINION. Good luck all.

6. #26 amoril, May 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2009

:confused:

its NOT an on-going debate. maybe you see it that way, but that doesnt make what ALL of us our telling you any less fact.

Did you actually read the article posted by smoove? Youre going to say 'yes' but i find that hard to believe. I assure you though, it would have made the issue more clear. Maybe the CC article that was linked citing the 33% increase in growth is also debatable...tell that to ed rosenthal, see what he says.

Think about the implications of the 33% value even. 6/18 = 1/3, or 33%. By adding an additional 33% more light, plants vegetative efficiency also increased by 33%. A linear relationship. Tit for tat. Implies that the rate of photosynthesis doesnt change, the plants metabolic rate doesnt falter...

Cannabis plants dont need 'rest' in the vegetative cycle. There is no process that is ongoing during the vegetative phase which either operates exclusively or more efficiently in the dark....other than stretching.

you hit the real reason with the last post...to save electricity / cool lights down / save lights lifetime. Those could all be legitimate factors, but not a valid response to the original question...Do vegging plants need any dark time. the answer IS no.

7. Maybe the weed fairy only comes out at night to bestow her gifts, ever think of that, smartypants?

:p

8. lol, the weed fairy must be transylvanian, cause she doesnt shake her ass until the nights get longer ;)

9. I agree 100%. They only reason in my mind to give any darkness in veg is to save money. Oh or of course if you have to spray some neem oil or something like that. Then you have to turn off the lights so you dont burn the little ladies

10. Just on a side note, a circadian rhythem is when an animal sets its internal clock based off the light cycle. Hamsters which are nocturnal do the majority of their running at night and if the light cycle is kept the same they will always run at the same time. in the absence of any light the hamsters will continue to keep a fairly ridgid schedual with a slight time difference as time since the last light exposure increases. If the hamsters are at any time exposed to ANY light, they will reset their circadian timers to account for that light being the morning.

But as far as 24/0 or 18/6 argument goes. Pot evolved useing dark and light cycles, IMO its always best to mimic natural things, especially when your electric bill is at risk/
    While I dont know as much about plant physiology as i do animal, they are probably pretty close in structure in function. In mammals there is a part of the brain connected to the optic chiasm responsible for this. If you get rid of this then the light cycle doesnt matter for shit. If plants are similar then they will probably have a way of using photoperiod to trigger genes. So yes, if you could figure out how to knock out the genes resonsible for determining photoperiod you could grow pot under 24/0 and flower it.

11. Thanks for our input wengmastachung..

Basically guys, i never said that weed "NEEDS" a dark period. But in my opinion its a better way to veg. Maybe thats why so many people use 18/6? Or maybe its just me? I dont know... But i do know one thing for sure: If 24/0 is so much better and grows plants bigger or faster by a certain percentage, then why do SO many people use 18/6, or prefer 18/6 over 24/0 for veg?

WHY?!!

12. you already answered that question.

energy costs / heat / overall convenience for the grower.

plants see no direct advantage. is that clear enough man?

13. No not really "man".
    Im not trying to start an argument or beef with anybody on this subject, im simply trying to better my knowledge of your side of it, and why i might not be completely right in my opinion...

Basically, without any dark period, the plant will never stretch for the light, making it so that all the nodes will grow very close together with no space apart in 24 hour light... Now, this could be a good thing: Shorter, bushier, buddier plants, and 42 extra hours of light per week, making for a shorter veg period... BUT - is there a dis-advantage to this? Would the plant grow TOO compact? Instead of 18/6, perhaps something more like 20/4 or even 22/2 would be superior, so that the plant still has time to stretch a little bit, but not more than needed, and still retaining almost a days worth of light each day?

What does everybody think about that?

After reading a few different threads, i am (in fact;)) considering changing my schedule from 18/6 - but not to 24/0. I think maybe 20/4 or 22/2 would suit my style more accurately... But i want a little more feedback before i make a final decision.

What does everybody think about this? and why would it (or wouldnt it) be the best schedule to choose, assuming im going to switch schedules?

14. The Old Timers Have a Phrase! Pretty Simple one too!

"If it aint broke dont fix it"

Does anyone really have a problem with the tried and true 18/6 it always worked for me, and anyone I have known personally.

Anyone?

15. Thats kind of how i feel about it - almost everybody i know uses 18/6, and thats from the point of view of a medical card holder... :cool: So all the people i know are pretty experienced.. But lately on grasscity everybody keeps saying 24/0 would be best, and ive been considering switching - but im not sure yet..

16. No one said 18/6 doesnt work

what is the title of the thread?

realize, we just answered the question. Do I veg in 24/0? nope, but I have before. I dont do 18/6, or 20/4 either.

truth of the matter is, there is no 100% correct method. If your plant is remaining in the vegetative state, without photo-induced stress, then there is nothing wrong with your choice of light cycle.

As discussed, the plant will undergo photosynthesis so long as light is present. Find the amount of light that is most convenient for you, and run with it. If 18/6 fits the bill, cool. If you want to veg as quickly as you can so you can flower ASAP, then 24/0 is the ticket. If height is a concern, and you need to keep those suckers short, 24/0 works, but you should read up on other forms of training.

Youre worrying about the wrong things, imo, Ender

be the Wiggins, and just pick a veg time, and grow some plants. After you get a few under your belt, start tweaking the light cycle to take care of minor things with your plants growth....youll at least know what conditions you want to moderate.

17. Ender's just a filthy 3rd

18. Breed em for the schedule you want or schedule according to the plants response. Different ones will probably like different conditions relatively. This seems to be the case to me.

19. Yeah i know its no big deal, i mean im not a beginning by any means, ive been growing for a few years now. But ive just always gone with 18/6, and after hearing all this discussion about 24/0 it made me wonder if i was doing the right thing. But i just switched to 24/0 a couple nights ago, so we'll see how it goes :)
    Out of curiousity though:

Amoril - If you dont use 18/6, or 24/0, or 20/4, what DO you use? 22/2? And whatever it may be, what is your reason for choosing that schedule?

BrBR - Ender's just a filthy 3rd? Whats that supposed to mean?

Im just trying to expand my knowledge guys, and hopefully make an educated decision on my schedule. Thanks for all the info and input everyone, much appreciated.

20. #40 BtBR, May 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2009

... You can't be serious.

Well I guess amoril and I figured wrong on where you got your name. If you like sci-fi you should read Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game"

Ender Wiggin is the main character, he was his parents 3rd child, and in the setting of the novels, having more than 2 kids is taboo, so the kids at school would torment him for it. Calling him "3rd" was a jeer.