Do they even care?

Discussion in 'General' started by DieselG, Feb 8, 2012.

1. So I am in the middle of a round of tests in the five classes that I teach - five different subjects..

The first class, I went over the material on the test for 45 minutes. Then I gave them a fifteen minute break. I let them bring in a cheat sheet - one sheet of paper with anything they wanted on it. Then I gave the test.

Everyone failed.

The next class. I gave them a copy of the test, had them read over it. I asked if there were any questions. Went over some of the test questions specifically. They had the test in front of them for 45 minutes. 15 minute break. Cheat sheet gimmick again. Then gave them the test.

Everyone failed.

The third class. Copy of the test. Went over specific questions and entertained all student questions. Cheat sheets. 15 minute break. Gave the test. During the test, I invited anyone who had a problem with any question on the test to come up to the desk for individual help. No one came up.

Everyone failed.

This isn't rocket science - it's a trade. It's not that tough... But I cannot spoon feed this stuff to them. On the job site, they will have to know the information or know where to find it. But if they don't know to come and ask me when they can't answer a question, what will they do on the job? Muddle along until their handiwork is discovered, then redo it all?

It's a low day today...

2. Find Noter way to motivate them.

Remember road trip? The guys used wrestling to explain history or something.

3. man i know it must suck having kids who dont want to learn but as long as youre not getting in trouble and still making your bills you shouldnt stress too much. maybe you should ask them yourself ya know? just options

4. I have a question...:cool:

5. Do you teach special education? Oh never mind that's the entire public school system.

6. If enough people fail, he can get fired. Teachers are there to teach, not to chill.

Your class is a lost caused. I mean, you gave them a cheat sheet and they still failed. The only other option is actually doing the test for them.

7. Post-secondary... These kids are paying for me to teach them...

8. What do you teach? Just curious

9. if all else fails and your job is on the line, im not sure if you can do this but have a super strict teacher come in for like a day and if the same results then at least you can prove it wasnt your fault. just options, again lol

10. Is it a good institute? A lot of post secondary kids go to uni strictly for the partying. Which makes no fucking sense because you can use that money to move out and party everyday.

11. It's not your fault

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2fHQ9eULzk&feature=colike[/ame]

12. Sounds like they don't care OP. Their loss, and props to your patience

13. wow fuckin go to :40 and watch the blonde bitch what a fuckin retard...

14. You can't make kids learn but when you find those kids who have drive, push them and ride it out as long as you can. Those kids will make a difference.

15. We're screwed

16. Perhaps ask them why they all failed?

17. that just means theyre gettin more dumb by the generation
    maybe mine is our only hope...
    we have...
    a mission...

18. Everyone failed? Like not one person passed? And you went over the test? I don't get It lol maybe your test doesn't make sense. Either that or all of your students are Literally retarded.