Do They Even Care?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Fëanor, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Recently, when I learned of a bill that would impose irrational mandatory minimum sentences for federal crimes, and forces citizens to report any drug deals to the police or else face prison, I spoke up. This bill, H.R. 1528, was outrageous. So, I sent an e-mail to my district's congressman, Jon Porter. I asked him to completely oppose H.R. 1528; to do anything he could to put it in the trash bin.

Well, a couple of days ago, I checked the mail, and I got a fancy-looking envelope from the House of Representatives in Washington. I opened it, and inside was a typed letter from Jon Porter.

It said something to the tune of, "Thank you for your opinions regarding H.R. 2233: The States' Rights to Medical Marijuana Act...blah blah blah...However, currently, we are in the 109th session of Congress and this bill has expired. If similar legislation is introduced in the future, I will be sure to keep your opinion in mind blah blah blah"

The letter was at least "signed" by Jon Porter. It looked like he spent a whole quarter of a second on the scribble, which I'm pretty sure was done with a blue Sharpie.

I've never heard of H.R. 2233 before, and I didn't send a letter to him regarding it.

I sent a serious letter to my congressman regarding something that I see as very important, and his office didn't even care enough to figure out what fucking bill I was talking about. All they did was find the keyword "marijuana"...

2. aint that a bitch?!

3. Umh, one second.

How many of us remember being told as kids that if we have a problem we should do something about it? And what were we always told?

Write to your senator or congressman, that will truly make a difference.

A difference in how pissed off we are at our government, maybe. :(

4. Yup... Writing to congress doesn't accomplish shit unless you're a member of congress, lol...

This is why our form of democracy SUCKS and will, some day, fail... As it's not a true democracy anyway.

EDIT: I was thinking... I'd really love to be there the day it happens to (the failure of "democracy" in America)... Just so I could rub it in the gov's face. That would be SWEET!

5. Don't lose the faith Fëanor.

I know the price of success: dedication, hard work, and an unremitting devotion to the things you want to see happen. ~Frank Lloyd Wright