Do Spider Mites "Happen" Outdoors?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Seven Wishes, Jun 8, 2011.

1. The question in my title may sound really dumb, since obviously mites' natural environment is outside, but here's the story:

I got a medical marijuana card a bit over a year ago, and since I grow lots of other plants (veggies, etc.), I figured I'd give some pot plants a whirl. I've grown really really successfully so far, but have yet to use any of my own crops. First harvest, which was from plants grown outside, with no health or pest problems? I didn't dry it properly and it all got moldy...in the trash. Second harvest? I never got to harvest, because just days before I would have harvested it, someone (I suspect the next door neighbor) stole the plants out of their pots in the middle of the night.

Therefore...I am trying a third time, with these plants being grown indoors in an improvised grow tent. It has been going along swimmingly, until today, when I look closely, and...SPIDER MITE FIESTA!

When the plants were grown outside, there was no problem at all with pests, aside from a minor amount of aphids here and there. Now that they are indoors, the mites have moved in and are having a grand old time. I've been reading up on what to do or not do about them once you have them, but as dumb a question as it sounds, do these mites typically cause trouble with those of you who have the liberty to do outdoor growing, or are they typically more of an indoor pest? Aside from marijuana websites discussing them, I have found several references to them in regular indoor houseplants as well, but not anything about them being an issue with outdoor plants.

Any experiences or knowledge would be interesting. Thanks! (And sorry for the length of the post...just trying to be thorough!)

2. Forbid Miticide/Ovicide works very well.

Outside mites are often kept in check by predators, such as wasps, ants, birds and ladybugs. You can still get substantial mite infestations outside, however.

3. #3 Seven Wishes, Jun 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2011
    If Argentine ants find spider mites tasty, I may have found just about the only use for those evil ants to exist. When the plants were outside, I noticed the ants on them quite often, usually going after the honeydew from the aphids I mentioned above. I wonder if the ants were predating on spider mites as well.

4. I'm going with neem oil to try to combat these things, as I am not a fan of using any sort of chemical pesticides. I found some that is organic and pretty highly concentrated from a local nursery and garden supply, so we shall see what happens. I just sprayed all the girls down as thoroughly as I could. Time will tell!

5. Spider mites have no natural predators indoors,
    so they go unchecked.

Once they get into a nice comfy environment
    with FOOD, well ya - a grand old time.

OK. Third time lucky. We'll get ya to harvest (and smokin).

Get a Doktor Doom (red can) fogger. Organic Pyrethrum.
    Good till 14 dayz before harvest.

Fog the shit outta the plants and space just before lights out.

Usually gets em in 1 shot.

Freak
    :smoke:

6. I went ahead and tried neem oil. Now, a few days later, I see no new spider mite webs being built, and I've pulled a few leaves off a couple of the plants and taken a look under the magnifier. I've found dead mites clinging to the underside of the leaves, but none that are active. From what I've read, though, I am expecting that eggs that are certainly present will probably be hatching fairly soon, so I will keep an eye on things and continue treatments as needed. Also, before harvest time I will gently spray the plants to wash away the mite corpses as best as possible.

Of course, if my damn neighbor or whomever would not trespass and steal from me, I could just grow these ladies outdoors like I did last year and likely would not have these issues. The first two tries I had at growing (outside) went off without a hitch. It was my own dumb fault that the first crop went to waste, and I hope whoever stole my big girls from the second grow enjoyed my efforts and care. Jerks.

7. Neem will only keep them at bay,
    and allow the cycle to continue.

U must eradicate, or once again,
    youre gonna end up with no weed...

Freak

8. Azamax or some other neem oil derivative containing azadirachtin is all that it should take for you, personally used it on Fungus Gnats, Leaf Hoppers, Spider mites, White flies, Aphids, and the list goes on. You just have to stay on top of the infestation and be spraying at 3 to 5 day intervals and being sure to spray the undersides of the leaves. Oh and its OMRI listed, which is a huge bonus to me as I grow an organic vegetable garden in addition to the synthetic farming for the "medicine" and it's a definite cure-all if some little pest decides to try to set up a monopoly on my babies...

9. This again lol.

Although Neem is an excellent product for its repellant
    properties, and limited kill abilities, It wont get rid of
    the SMs. It does not harm the eggs. Azadirachtin just
    isnt strong enough for SMs.

Spider Mites are almost like germs that have become
    used to Antibiotics. Not much phases them.

You are wasting all this valuable time, and letting your
    plants slowly get eaten, while dithering about what to use.

I told u what to use. It is the best and quickest and organic way to do it.

Freak

10. Here in Oregon the spider mites pretty much break in, beat up your dog, get beer out of the fridge. Then you have to club them to death.

11. #11 gardengirl123, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2011
    Actually they can happen outside and inside your home! They tend to like hot, dry places. I had problem with spider mites in my plants and came across this product for spider mite control! It is really AMAZINGGG!!!

You should totally look into it. Let me know what you think!

12. #12 deweyj, Jun 16, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2011
    i know huh!, i got bitch slapped by one the other day! but really ive found that to grow garlic in my grow keeps em out and precautionary pepper spray from chinese red chilies blended w/ h2o. beond that if they are on the flowers youll only complicate flowering with foliar sprays. a good friend will put his entire plant upside down at harvest and the devils go up from the buds to the stem stob and are not in his finished nugs. thats only an option as their existance harms the under leaf resulting in a smaller top or loss of production over-all. once they are in they reqiure several routine eradications to kill both parent and eggs that hatch every few days or hours depending on the size of the infestation and age of existing eggs. some things can be used frequently but others like oils and soaps can clog the plants pores and really slow things down too. -D-

one udder ting " an ozone producing air filter is a great deterrant once the eradication has been completed, plus it will lend to the plants and ventilation " -D-