Do seeds expire?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ryan44ffg, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Thats what i'm asking.. Ive had seeds in my jar for about 3 years with no opportunity to plant. Are they hopeless?

2. theres only 1 way to find out if they work or not :p I think u should have the seeds in a freezer though..I heard they last longer then.

3. well i'm not a botanist, but i think i remember from 10th grade biology that seeds last very long, years even. so they might still have some life in them, as long as they havent exploded from baking in the sun or gotten crushed they should be able to stay dormant for a very long time.

4. Years and years my friend, just keep em in a safe dry spot so they don't germinate.

5. Errrrahaaa... a freezer, really? I know I would freeze to death in a freezer and I would suspect that my seeds would too, but I have read that recommendation elsewhere?

Is the freezer really the way to go?

GOGLAD

6. i found my father's untouched stash from the 70's and 80's loaded with seeds, but i can't get any to germinate. its a shame too, because there are film canisters packed to the brim with labels like Colombian, hawaiian, huahakan or something, and a bunch unlabeled. some appear to be disintegrating into powder, so the fresher the seeds the better.

7. wow..:) thats pretty cool.

like ur nick btw :p

8. I was reading the site of the seed distributor last night and they mentioned you *could* freeze seeds but to be careful when thawing cause thawing too fast can damage the seed.

9. dude im so jealous! if i were you, id try and germinate as many of those as possible and try and find a good one. and the "huahakan" might be oaxacan (its pronounced the way you spelled it, so its possible that whoever wrote it just wrote down how it sounded) which is a REALLY GOOD mexican landrace that i dont think any commercial breeder sells seeds for.

10. Seeds can last for years if kept in a cool, dry, dark place. Archaeologists found seeds in the pyramids in Egypt that were thousands of years old and they germed. Not MJ seeds, but it gives you a sense of what Mother Nature is capable of.

11. just curious..what kinda seeds did they find?