Do Schools Kill Creativity?

Discussion in 'General' started by FindingTim, Mar 4, 2012.

1. #1 FindingTim, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2012
    The title speaks for itself.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9CE55wbtY"]Here is a link to a Ken Robinson speech on the topic[/ame]

I consider this the most important speech of the 21st century.
    thought I'd pass it along, and see what you guys have to say.

also, if that speech was meaningful to you, check out this Paul Graham essay titled, Why Nerds are Unpopular

2. Saw this speech a while ago, but yeah. I think our educational system is fucked. IMO we don't use the technology we have at hand. We know that not all people learn from listening to a teacher talk to us all day, so why wouldn't we incorporate other means of learning for people who aren't just auditory?

I think we should get a test when we are young or every year or something that will see if you learn better from listening, seeing, doing, etc.

We have the ability we just don't

3. definitely man. schools are cutting program after program. in my high school you even had to pay like $400 to play sports. craziness. we need music,art,dance, and drama for the kids who have a hard time with acedemics not everyone is a math wiz.

4. #4 FindingTim, Mar 4, 2012
    the pubic education system treats us like machines. but we are not machines.

We are expected to write arbitrary paper after arbitrary paper, and if we find this intolerable or agonizing, we assume something is wrong with us. we feel guilty or worthless.
    In truth, something is wrong with you if years of coerced "learning" DON'T make you feel this way.

also, I love to learn and I love to read, but school has done everything possible to beat both those loves out of me-- so much so that I can only bring myself to read books over summer vacation.

5. They absolutely are, my specific gripe is with the dept of education. Needs to be abolished in my opinion.. There's a great book called "that used to be us: how America fell behind in the world it invented, a how we can come back". Its by Robert Friedman I believe, and while the country's educational situation is only about 1/5 of the book, they make amazing points and suggestions regarding the state of our education system; specifically how America needs to cater to its most creative students and take steps to let innovation flourish in this country again

6. #6 FindingTim, Mar 4, 2012
    and many people are capable of higher academics or math, but don't see the purpose in it.
    Instead of allowing us to follow our hearts, we are molded into straight-thinking robots that excel in an industrial/corporate society. It not only kills creativity, it diminishes self-worth and decimates the spirit.

to quote Plato: "Knowledge that is acquired under compulsion obtains no hold on the mind."

7. The sad reality of it is we need math, English, history, etc. but we also need creativity.

Honestly elective classes should offer 95% creativity inspiring classes. Instead we have economics and business classes. I do think personal finance is one class that should be kept as an elective though

8. #8 DeletedUsername123, Mar 4, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
    At my school, you needed 8 semesters of english no matter what diploma you wanted, for the academic honors you need 8 semesters of english, 6 semesters of math, 6 of science and 6 for social studies, and 3 years of one foreign language, or 2 years of 2 languages. What kinda shit is that? IMO English is the least necessary, and the grading system is fucked up too. At the end of the semester there should be an overall test, kinda like an IQ test that determines your grades. For me I knew all the stuff and it was easy I'm just lazy when it comes to school stuff, I don't see the point of it. I ace tests but my grades aren't perfect because I rarely do homework unless my grade needs it.

Because of that system^ there was rarely any room to actually take classes of music and that stuff. People always say you aren't likely to get famous off of your talent, well maybe if we could actually take classes to enhance them we would.

EDIT: Also, when I was middle school, there was FACS (like Home Ec basically) Business, Art and Gym. They decided to get rid of FACS and Business, the classes we would actually need for life, and left us with Art and Gym. I mean, even my art teacher would always say only 2% of the people would do art later in life.

9. How much the teachers care about their students makes all the difference imo

10. Well I had a huge personality when I was little I'd talk and talk and talk but the teachers always yelled at me to be quiet etc so I started keeping to myself a lot more.......

11. If u call that creativity

12. well, it could have been a case of this
    The article is based on a study that demonstrated teachers like creative students the least (in general-- obviously there are exceptions).

Conformity and regurgitation is encouraged. Unique thought is not.

13. Also, my teachers frowned upon personalities. Their favorite students were the ones who sat in the back and didn't say shit

14. there should be TONS of action. Education is something almost everyone has in common.
    I applaud your previous efforts! hopefully this thread will get more response.

I've actually been spreading this link across the web. Cool thing about the internet is you can reach a lot of people really quickly.

15. Not if you doodle or daydream.

16. No. They don't really allow creativities full potential though,

17. Didn't read or listen to anything but the title tbh.

But I will say yes due to my experiences in a public school.

18. My ex-wife, a k-6 teacher, was saying the same thing back in the `70's and when I asked why couldn't she do something about it she told me she had to "follow set guide lines" or lose her job.

She then said that about the only thing she could do was try and make learning interesting and fun.
    She must have had it right because when her first class, a 6th grade class, had school age kids, over half asked if she could be their kids teacher.