Do plants grown in coco require a different volume than soil?

Discussion in 'Coco Coir' started by Didactylos, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Hey blades,

I'm growing in coco for the first time, using double buffered and washed Plantronix coco coir, growing in airpots and using Sensi coco grow a&b.

I got to wondering about the volume of substrate needed. I think the rule of thumb for soil is a gallon per month of veg. Is that true with coco? Seeing as it is basically a hydroponic grow, am I right i assuming using smaller pots would just mean more frequent watering? I've got two plants in 5 gal airpots. Would I be better served with smaller pots and more frequent watering, or should I be concerned about the plants becoming root-bound before harvest if they're in smaller pots?

What do you think?

2. I grow in 9.2ltr (2.5gal) airpots and never have a root bound problem - I doubt that a plant in airpots will become rootbound. Regardless of the type of pot - a smaller pot will require more frequent feedings.

• Like Like x 3
  3. I finish in one gallon pots with 4 weeks of veg. Up to 5 oz per plant depending strain and some of the densest buds ever

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 4
  4. Thanks guys. I'll adjust pot size downwards which is good news! I've got more media than I thought! :D

5. Cool, Thanks guys. I'll adjust pot size downwards which means the coco I've got will go farther than I thought!

Awesome.:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1