Do nutrients go bad?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by thechondro, Mar 20, 2015.

1. I opened up and smelled one of my premixed nutrients that's been sitting for about a week. And it smells like dead rats. Gross!

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. My fox farm grow big smells like rotten eggs

3. Ha. Oh ok.

4. Yes, nutrients can go bad, but it takes quite a while after they've been opened.

Generally, when they go bad there is a lot of separation and undissolved chunky bits.

5. You said premixed - does that mean that it's already been mixed with water? Are they organic or hydro nutrients? Hydro nutrients will take quite awhile even mixed with water but organic nutrients can stink to high heaven because they'll go anaerobic once mixed with water. Even still, they might not be "bad" in the sense that it would hurt a plant. Unpleasant to the nose but might not hurt your plants.

When in doubt, always try it on a single plant.

J

6. I opened my veg nutes ( I don't use them) and it was all moldy and mildewy on top. I threw in garbage. Were bottled nutrients belong.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

7. Yeah. I pre mix them in water and usually use it within a week. The plants seem to be doing ok. Just wanna be a good grower and use the best stuff that I can. Lol punch. What do you use?

8. Just soil and a dream

9. I been using a premix soil (usually roots organic) and just ammend it with some lime and maybe a lil 5-5-5 dry fert

10. Any organic nutes, I wont keep more than 24hrs and that is with using an airstone to keep them circulated. Chemical nutes I will keep for about three days max after mixing. I water and feed daily now though, so they don't sit long.

11. #11 str8jacket, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015

Wow, I've heard some smug self righteous statements made before, but telling people that their nutrients belong in the garbage really takes the cake.

12. Oh ok. I'll try to use them a little faster if I can.

13. Newts falife

14. Why do you water and feed daily?

15. I run DTW coco, once the root system builds up its not odd to water daily.

16. I get watering daily, but to feed them daily as well? Are you diluting the nutes to the max and feeding spoonfuls?

17. #17 jay719, Mar 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2015
    I have been running the h3ad formula using micro and grow. I feed every watering. It's just another way to grow with coco and I must say it works well.

18. [quote name="str8jacket" post="21456040" timestamp="1427037914"]Wow, I've heard some smug self righteous statements made before, but telling people that their nutrients belong in the garbage really takes the cake.[/quote

Bottled. When you do read, take your time.

Back in the day I used to run hydroponic nutrients through a 50/50 mix of perlite and vermiculite. We didnt have the nice Ebb & Flow tables like you'll see these days. There were only two hydro nute companies at the time - Eco and General Hydroponics. We'd hand water pH balanced nutrient mix a half dozen times (or more) a day and the results were amazing. 

Of course we wasted tons of nutrients those days because in a more modern setup the nutrients will flood the medium and then drain back into the reservoir where with our neanderthal setup we'd just hand water constantly to waste but boy did it work so good. 

j

How long ago was that? I bought my first flood table in the late 80's, from a hydro shop called Worms Way.