Do my seedlings look healthy?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by FrodoSlaughter, Apr 3, 2014.

1. #1 FrodoSlaughter, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2014
    Day 6 of germination. 

Using a pro grow 260 180w led, about 5 inches above plants.
    Temp: 81 degrees 
    Humidity: 50%
    7 KC45 regular auto and 3 Northern Lights feminized auto
    I've noticed the plants have a tendency to converge towards the center of the light, should I be concerned about this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I'm a noob grower but they look great! mine are doing the same they lean towards the lighting but my setup needs an updated.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. They are stretching. That is not a good thing. Instead of focusing on growing leaves, they are focusing on the stem to try and get to the light. I do not know anything about the light you are using, but it seems like they would benefit from having the light closer, or having more light.

4. #4 FrodoSlaughter, Apr 3, 2014
    I should mention that I just switched to the pro grow yesterday, before I was using a single 23w cfl 6400k at around 12-16 inches, that might explain the stretching. I started to see leaf growth on all plants as soon as I switched to the pro grow. I was a little concerned for some of the plants with smaller stems however, so I just adjusted the LED to around 12inches to promote stem growth, I'm not sure if this will effect some of the taller plants. 
    I saw a guy on here who was using the same LED lighting system at 14-16 inches above, and he had some pretty good leaf growth

5. You could probably even move the lights a bit closer than that, and raise them as you need. Can we see a current photo?

6. #8 FrodoSlaughter, Apr 3, 2014
    I don't know, I think I should wait a couple of hours and see how things go at 12inches, my hope is that they straighten themselves out, the smaller plants grow a bit taller, the taller ones stay the same, and all start to produce bigger leaves. 
    Time will tell...

I found this guy using the same system,
    http://www.growmedical420.com/the-pro-grow-260-led-grow-light-day-one/
    He says:
    "What can be deceptive about the Pro-Grow LEDs is that they run cool, and you have the tendency to think keeping the lights close  (12″ or less) is necessary or advantageous, especially in the seedling or early to mid vegetative state. What I discovered, is that you end up with overly dense plants."
    "Without a doubt, many LED grow lights NEED to be kept close to have any penetration*. The Pro-Grow LEDs utilize a  proper mix of angled lenses and powerful LEDs that offer penetration AND a respectable footprint one would expect. I can keep the light higher from the canopy, get better overall coverage. The other issue in keeping the LEDs too close, is that does not allow the plant to have to “reach” for the light and plants may stay too compact, or so bushy the interior can get no light. A little (controlled) vertical growth is a good thing!"

Also this guy has got some amazing results without having his LED so close.
    "http://boards.cannabis.com/indoor-growing/201797-led-grow-no-2-testing-pro-grow-260-rhino-seeds-2.html
    He says:
    "Be careful with the LED light too. If they are too close you can bleach the leaves and even the buds. But try to find a good distance. I would never leave my plants within 8 inches of the LED."

7. Your going to need to transplant those pretty soon so they don't get top heavy with new growth and fall over. You can transplant them to with in about an inch or so of the two small round leaves. Also if you got a small clip on fan point it at the plants starting out on low speed. a nice gentle breeze will also help strengthen them and maybe reduce your temps at canopy level a little bit.

8. #10 KouchLoch, Apr 3, 2014
    Just a "sun dance".... *sigh*

EDIT: I left this post in frustration because it's not always obvious with a few pics if you don't actually read the situation. Let me take a stab at what happened. I'm going to guess that OP is a new grower. The light has been installed for ONE day. The previous light was a single 23W CFL :eek:  12-16" :eek: :eek: ! Okay, so that explains the stretch. A new 185W LED at 6" will cook them. You are correct OP. Keep your light 12" away. That will stop the stretch the CFL was promoting. Your light will cause faster leaf growth and the stem will fatten. I suggest a bit of supercropping when the stems fatten a bit. If you're not familiar with that, don't do it. Keep close attention to the TOPS of the plants for burning/scorching, LED lights DO put out heat. As they grow, adjust the light height for your personal preference in node spacing. Farther light, longer node spacing, closer= shorter.

9. #11 FrodoSlaughter, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
    Yeah thanks for the advice, I transplanted all seedlings, and decided to add 2x 23w 1600lumen cfls and 1x 26w 1750lumen cfls for extra light. I also have a small clip fan blowing to increase strength. 
    Leaves look slights larger, however height hasn't change much for most plants. 
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. When I transplant seedlings I bury the stem down in the soil farther to where the 2 round leaves are with in an inch of the soil. The part of the stem that is now buried will start to grow roots out of it.

11. #13 FrodoSlaughter, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
    Day 10 from seed
    Added more soil to the taller plants to hold them down. I was having trouble maintaining humidity levels at 50% while my intake fan was on keeping my temps below 80 degrees, so I added a second humidifier and that solved the problem. 
    Second pair of leaves are forming on all plants with the largest showing up, surprisingly, on one of my shortest Northern Lights that showed very slow growth compared to my KC45s just a couple of days ago.
    (Note:
    The bottom left plant got hit by a stray cord, that's why is drooping slightly.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok this final pic, I'm very curious about the health of this particular plant. It seems there is some sort of, what I can only describe as bubbly looking ridges, on the leaves, along with slight curling at the tips. At first glance it looks like the plant is dry to me but I really have no idea, I just watered it like an hour ago and it didn't change much.
    What could this be?
    [​IMG]

12. I think you're ok man. Im new to this too but I want to remind you the power of the LITFA technique. And don't stress it my friend, they'll be fine, and when there's a problem with the plant, it will show itself. You don't have to look for problems/deficiencies all the time. Let it do it's thing for a bit. :) good luck

13. #15 FrodoSlaughter, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014

Thanks man, guess I'm just a bit nervous, it being my first grow and all. Its a weed not rocket science.  :laughing:
    Yeah I'll try "LITFA" lol. 

14. Glad I could help and things worked out for you. Quoted from another forum, "we all have the urge to do something to our plants. Not touching them is still 'doing something'"

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum