Do male plants smell as much as females

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jusblaze~, Mar 10, 2007.

1. Do male plants give off as strong an odor as female plants or do they not smell at all (let's say the strain was a really skunky one). Just wondering oh and if four little hairs around the stem where new leaves sprout means it's a female.

2. Cant answer the question on aroma, though I'm guessing they're probably about equally stinky while vegetating but females get stinkier when flowering.
    That sound right? Asking the veterans.

On the subject of the "hairs" you're observing, I think you're seeing the stipules, little green spikes that stick out of the stem on either side of the petiole (the stem that becomes the middle of the leaf). Assuming you have a leaf set growing out of opposite sides of the stem, you'll have a stipule on either side of the leaf set, giving a total of four stipules per node (there are lots of diagrams available for this, sorry I don't have one).

Stipules are nothing to get excited about but that IS the general location where you'll start seeing preflowers, eventually.
    The preflowers will show up at the base of the stipule, about the size of the head of a pin.
    When THOSE get a pair of little white hairs, you've got a girl.

Everybody will tell you, regarding the little white hairs, "you can't miss 'em" and "you'll know 'em when ya see 'em." I was doubtful until the first time I saw them and, yeah, I agree now. You can't miss 'em.
    They'll look like little whitish (maybe with yellow or orange tints) fuzzy pipe-cleaners, no longer than, say, an ant, but easily visible to the naked eye.

From seed, took me five to six weeks for pre-flower hairs. By then, the plants were about 8-9 inches tall and also began alternating their leafsets (one on either side, alternating, rather than two on opposite sides, with each new leafset).

3. hmm, okay, thx a lot though yea okay so that's good hopefully i'll see some of those hairs soon, yea i was just hopin that maybe male plants don't stink cuz as of right now i still can't tell if its male or female and based on what you were saying the stipules haven't developed fully, but still helpful though thx