Do Lights HAVE to be Above the Plant?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by vanillathrilla, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Ok so I have a MasterKush girly about 4-5 weeks into flowering (with CFLs).
    Even though its only about 20-24" tall (after a little LST), the plants reached up to the CFL which was directly above it and a few leaves got a lil burned, so I had to change my light set up quite a bit.
    Now, my growbox (rubbermaids - which are a bitch with space control) has lights that are about even with the top of the top cola (but off to the the side a few inches so there wont be any more burning), and then a few which are lower for side lighting. While I've noticed CFLs don't really cause any explosive growth, the mid-low colas have definitely fattened up more since adjusting...
    BUT everyone seems to take the most pride in their top colas so I'm a little concerned. Will this be a problem in terms of the overall yield/potency potential?

Thanks for any answers

2. Im certainly no expert, but I'd imagine your eventual yield will be similar. INstead of having bigger top colas and tiny mid-low colas, youll have smaller top colas, but bigger mid-lows.

Chances out the overall yield will average out just the same... but I could be wrong.

Lights dont 'have' to be on top. I just think its done that way as, for most people, its the easiest/simplest way.

3. Sounds like your lights are still above the plant...right? As long as you don't have the lights underneath the plant, or any other way that would make it grow weird.

Lots of growers put side lighting in their grow rooms...the more leaves that get light, more energy for bud production.

I don't think you'll lose any yield at all...quite the opposite, I think you'll get a better harvest with the side lighting. I've seen some other CFL grows where they pretty much surround the plant with bulbs, and the plants came out extremely nice.