do i plant seed when tap root barely emerges?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dude1, May 7, 2010.

1. do i let the tap root grow a little bit longer before i plant? because my seed germinated and the tap root is BARELY coming out, like a super duper small tail. less than 1/4th of an inch. so should i put it in the soil? or wait 1 more day?

it germinated in about 30 hours

2. i let it get a decent tail first...wait a day,no pressure on the seed from soil and water..it will only help it along faster..

3. I second that, I like to see a healthy tail splitting the shell wide open before putting it in soil. I have had a few seeds fail to break open their shells after placing them in soil right when the seed cracked. I don't think I have had one do that if I keep them in water a couple of days longer. I do worry about drowning the root though, so I let most of the water out of my container (pill bottle), keeping the seed about halfway covered in water, and keeping the container under a cup to block light.

I am a still a newbie, but that is my experience.

4. 1/16" is good. Easy to set in medium without damaging tap root.

5. alright. thanks for the feedback because in the past 4 seedlings, all fuckin shells got stuck!!! maybe i need to keep them moist in towels for a bit longer.