Grasscity - Cyber Week Sale - up to 50% Discount

Do I need to trim as I go?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by planty, Aug 9, 2012.

1. I have three outdoor plants in my garden. I have no clue what strains, they were given to me by a friend who busted her son trying to grow in his closet with no MMJ card. She knew I had a card and offered them to me instead of killing them. this is what they looked like when I first put them in the ground.. two ended up being males the middle and the one in the back corner of the fence. [​IMG]

They were very sick due to improper light and being in a heavy clay soil with too much water. I stuck them in the ground and they took off.

I have one in flower right now, the second one about 3 weeks behind the first, the last just barely has pre-flowers. So my question is the one that is in flower do I trim the leaves away right now? My dear friend who has grown many years keeps pushing me to start trimming around the buds so I can keep an eye out for worms, but I really just would think the plant needs the leaves for production of chlorophyll. I haven't bothered the plants much because they had such a rough start. So this is the top of one of the branches.. would you trim right now?

[​IMG]

Thanks for any advice you may have to offer. I know this forum is very busy.

2. I grow indoors, but when I trim its to get more light into parts of the plant that would normally be covered by larger leaves. You are right in thinking that keeping more leaves will help the plant make more food. Sometimes I trim 3 times during a plants cycle, but always allowing 2-3 weeks for the plant to recover so that you don't shock her.

Since you are growing outdoors I would only cut a few leaves that are blocking some of the inner and lower buds. Besides that leave her alone and let her do her own thing.

Everyone trims differently if they trim at all, so its all about how you are feeling with that particular plant and that particular strain. There should be no one set fix for trimming. Take it case by case and I think you will have better success than following any one persons set guide.

3. Thank you AliensWorkshop My fried does indoor and I can understand the light issue. But outside there is no shortage of light. I trimmed the lower branches because my little dogs kept going and peeing on them. I trim out the stuff that dies off. We have hit 100 degrees everyday for a week so I expect some leaves to die off. I just have more of a wait and see attitude. Which seems to be driving my friend crazy. At least they live too far away to come help LOL

4. what I don't understand about this...

you say you're trimming so you let more light in to leaves that would have been blocked

but they would have been blocked by the leaves you're going to cut away! and those leaves are doing the very same thing, no? (that whole photosynthesis thing)

My instinct tells me to let the plant do it's thing... do leaves really need light to be healthy? I figured as long as the plant was healthy (enough light is being absorbed, via whatever leaf coverage possible), it will keep doing what it needs to. Can anybody give me a solid reasoning otherwise?

I understand there may be other factors, watching for bugs etc. I'm just wondering if there's any reason to change what the plant naturally does in the effort for healthier plants/more production/whatever

5. I just leave them until they fall off naturally. Plants know when they are done with the leaves, and shed them on their own.

6. Exactly how I feel. Plus these leaves hold onto nutrients for the plant, so if it's hurting it has more buffer before the plant itself has issues.

7. Ive trimmed and not trimmed. Trimming of any plant thats bearing fruit or flowering can helps but depends what your growing really. If you dont trim tomatoes plants the sugars that are involved in bearing fruit get wasted on unnecessary branches and fruit will come out small. Trim it and you get much plumper tomatoes and more of them.

Some reasoning to trim are leaves shade lower cannabis buds, tall plants use more energy to push water and nutes up the whole plant removing leaves helps target that delivery to the above, creates better airflow, reduces the chance of mold, reduces stretching and many more. The cons of doing it are pretty small...it wont kill the plant, it doesn't reduce yields, it doesnt make it sick. Thats assuming your removing a small amount at a time here and there.

Alot of people on here believe there plant is closer to god and will develop unearthly stress should anything happen.

I myself trim the lower parts as I do not subscribe to that belief but thats up to you. Ive done it every grow for years and never a issue. Most certainly I trim the lower parts all off. I do believe that trimming boosts yields. Personal choice without doing it youll still get some good dope.

8. Thank you Rhapsodyrcks. I do understand how thinning fruit on trees or even tomatoes does help to produce larger fruit later on. I just didn't think about it from a flower stand point.. yet one does the same with roses. So I get thinning out buds but the trimming was on the leaves sticking out from where the buds are forming... I don't believe I made that clear. I know eventually I will be removing those anyway, and my friend removes his while the buds are developing. I didn't expect for these plants to even make it this far. I'm trying to look at it as an experiment so that, next year I can chose strains and have a better understanding on some basics.

I appreciate the feedback form everyone Knowledge is the most powerful of gifts to share with your fellow man. Thank you very much all of you.

9. Your right trimming leaves to give light to other leaves would be redundant, for indoor a good portion of the lower buds are completely blocked by the fan leaves from the top nodes. So by removing a few larger leaves I can dramatically increase the amount of light reaching the lower and inner bud sites, effectively turning popcorn bud into full sized buds.

10. [quote name='"AliensWorkshop"']

Your right trimming leaves to give light to other leaves would be redundant, for indoor a good portion of the lower buds are completely blocked by the fan leaves from the top nodes. So by removing a few larger leaves I can dramatically increase the amount of light reaching the lower and inner bud sites, effectively turning popcorn bud into full sized buds.[/quote]

So if I understand you, it's not so much the total area performing photosynthesis, but better if leaves from all over do it? Localized light helps bud sites grow vs just getting the plant enough light?

11. tie it up to pull out the branch so light hits more area, use a rose bush cone? all you need to is stretch the branches out, only reason ive ever trimmed is to avoid yellow leaves as they are falling off, god forbid any gnats or anything get in it, but yellow is there favorite color

12. Personally, I don't cut any leaves off ever during a grow (indoor here). I cut tops off and let the bottoms fill in for another week. This seems to add about an ounce per plant IME.