Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Do I need to dry before decarb?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by RiseOfTheTriad, Feb 1, 2020.

1. I just trimmed a bunch and need to know if I should dry my trim before I decarb it to make a tincture in my magical butter machine.

Thanks.

2. Yes.
    Dry = 120-140 F until it'll fragment-powder when crushed.
    Then.
    240 F for 40 minutes to decarb.

BNW

• Like Like x 2
  3. Hi can
    I too ask a question , what if my bud has been in a jar with a 62% humidity pack for storage, kind of still moist to just smoke. Should I dry it out better before doing the decarb in oven, and how thick can it be if on a cookie tray with I do decarb. Just a thin layer, or can it be piled up on top of other buds ?
    I believe the temps are 240 degs at 40 mins for bud correct?
    Appreciate the info Cheers.

4. you can throw the bud in there whole or grind it up in its current state if its ready to be smoked. OP is referring to freshly trimmed cannabis off a plant which has not been cured and ready for smoking, hence the need for drying it out first. As far as the temp and time, you got it right on the nose.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Thank you!

Other than the oven any easy way to dry the trimmings?[​IMG]

6. Leave in the sun for several days till crisp. Still need an oven to decarb as the sun isn't hot enough I don't think.

BNW

7. Wouldn't the decarb process also dry the herb? Why is drying needed?

8. Yes you should….. depending on how much you have let it sit overnight in rice… use some kind of breathable bag try not to put the trim directly on the rice to preserve any trichomes. Cover loosely

9. I just did 250°F for 30 minutes and was a lot stronger than at 240f for 40 minutes…

10. You can still cook the weed When it’s wet but how are you really going to know how long to cook it for. The cooking process could be a lot longer and temperatures and times that we see for decarb are accurate… I would just let it dry a little bit so that it’s more precise. You could still get the right color with your decarb but if the moisture is not pulled out of it the bud will not activate properly.

11. You can still cook the weed When it’s wet but how are you really going to know how long to cook it for. The cooking process could be a lot longer and temperatures and times that we see for decarb are accurate… I would just let it dry a little bit so that it’s more precise. You could still get the right color with your decarb but if the moisture is not pulled out of it the bud will not activate properly.

12. RICE

13. Paper bag left in the sun….Rice will absorb moisture

14. Don’t forget the rice…It will dry that much quicker

15. If you decarb in the open in an oven you dont need to decarb. It will dry on its own.

If you decarb in a capped jar or a sous vide in a bag then its helpful to pre dry.

If you dont pre dry the buds stay damp and can be harder to grind or work with in general. Its not a huge deal but there is a difference.

I believe you also retain more terpenes if you decarb in a capped vessel.

Bottom line both ways work, its your choice.

16. Does the time factor in decarb your weed depend on how dry you stuff is? I have some really dry weed that has been rat-holed away (canning jar with tight lid) for a while will not take as much heat to "release the Craken" I know that the 250 for 30 minutes might be a way to much, anyone have an Idea as to how to judge the timing factor based on the amount of moisture the weed has?

17. 1st take one bud n try—-cook it at 250 for 30 take it out n look …. If it smell nice and toasty I like mine a little darker than golden. If you see green put it in at 3-5 minutes intravlles…. You just want to get the right time to cook it for…So once you got the right amount of time…Then cook your stock…Good luck!

18. 1st take one bud n try—-cook it at 250 for 30 take it out n look …. If it smell nice and toasty I like mine a little darker than golden. If you see green put it in at 3-5 minutes intravlles…. You just want to get the right time to cook it for…So once you got the right amount of time…Then cook your stock…Good luck!

19. Dry over night with some rice …Paper bag too would be good..don’t forget the rice…you can do 250 for 37 minutes still greenish 45..oh I would try to keep the buds side by side on covered with foil….I never go wrong though with a foil pouch cheers n good cooking ✋️

20. Dry over night with some rice …Paper bag too would be good..don’t forget the rice…you can do 250 for 37 minutes still greenish 45..oh I would try to keep the buds side by side on covered with foil….I never go wrong though with a foil pouch cheers n good cooking ✋️