Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Do I need ID to purchase a small box of matches from a grocery store?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by DeeDomain, Apr 30, 2012.

1. I know this sounds like a silly question but my lighter is out and I can't get another since I have to be 19 (we're the only county in NY that has this law, it's stupid). I'd be purchasing from one those self checkout things if that makes a difference.

2. Buy some charcoal too so it looks like your cooking.

3. I don't have the money to buy a bag of charcoals.

4. i doubt it if its self checkout. id just pocket a lighter if you go to walmart they have like 3 packs of bics hanging off the shelves in random spots if your worried about gettin carded.

5. You don't need an ID for matches.. atleast now where I live

6. Just go to a corner store and take a couple books of matches :confused_2:

7. Gas stations around here have matches for free. I've seen a lot of people buy a pack and ask for matches. Cashier just reaches under the counter and tosses them a book.

But I wonder... anyone know if you can just ask for matches and get them free without buying cigs? Or are they only free when you buy a pack?

8. Go to the next county and buy a lighter

9. nowhere near i live do u have to show id to get a lighter or matches. this worlds laws get more and more ridiculous dude i swear

10. [quote name='"smokin bud"']Go to the next county and buy a lighter[/quote]

He can't. He is 15, and doesn't have a car :p
    Just screwing with you OP. Just go gas station to a self checkout and get a lighter. No big deal.

11. do the same thing every minor does ask someone older going into the store tell em your situation? or you dont have your wallet on you and they wont sell you one im sure a smoker will have your back cause they have been in that spot before

12. No. You do not have to be 18 to buy a lighter or matches. You do need to be 18 to buy the "Blow-Torch" lighters because of some shit.

13. Hmm...technically you have to be 18 to buy a lighter where I am from.

14. I would just go to a gas station and ask for a pack of matches, i do it all the time without buying cigs. And if not, go try to buy matches, if they say anything just say you need them for cooking or something. While legally buying a lighter requires you to be 18, the same probably goes for matches, but most stores probably don't care. Around me i find that the smaller (non-chain) stores usually don't really care about this type of stuff.

15. Oklahoma? Im pretty sure that is the only state that has such a law. I had a cashier ask me for ID when buying my last lighter, I looked at him and asked if he was serious. He scanned the lighter and said "Oh, my bad, it didn't flag it, so you don't need a ID". Like I said, different lighters are classified differently based on fuel, size, and PSI. Im pretty sure that is how they determine which one's need ID.

16. Naw man, but I had the same reaction the first time I was asked for ID when purchasing a lighter :devious:

17. My dad owns a couple 7-11 stores and i manage at one of them but you need ID plus they are 5 cents a book lol.

18. I'd just steal a lighter. Gas stations always have those big raps of cheap crack lighters.

19. dont steal a lighter just go to a store and buy one if its not a chain they really wont care, even for cigs and shit. When I was like 12 stores would sell us lighters and paps and shit i haven't even been carded for buying lighters or dutches or paps since i was like 16 or 17 other than at cvs but thats for dutches and cigs not a lighter so you should be fine if you go into a store and ask for a lighter especially if your 18

20. There is no legal age limit in New York for a store to sell you a basic lighter. Anywhere. OP is underage. It is at the store's discretion whether or not to sell you one.