Do I need cal mag or a good flush?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by PacificNWtko, Dec 5, 2012.

1. For the last few days or so my girls leaves began to droop down looking real sad. I figured my watering was too cold or i overwatered so i let them dry out good. Then this morning, after I fed them lastnight, I noticed goldish yellow spotting on some of the older fan leaves. Some tips curl up while most continue to droop down. Could this be related to the leaves drooping days prior, or most likely just a ph lockout causing nutrient problems?

I fed with fox farms grow big, big bloom, microbrew, and kangaroots at full strength. Week 4 of veg. I water with RO water 2 times for every 1 feeding, so over fert doesn't click right with me, cause my girls have always loved full strength feedings. Also, the bottom half of the plants appear nice and green with no drooping or issues. My belief is a ph lockout due to my feeding last night. I know I know, that's why you check the ph first... But my Milwaukee ph 600 decided to quit working a few weeks ago so I feed with approx. 5.5 and water with 7.0 (averages from experience), balancing it out.

Any suggestions and or advice would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want to watch my girls suffer. Not sure if I should flush with ph'd water, add Epsom salt, leave them alone, or what?

Attached Files:

2. Everything I have read suggest a "stable" PH is crucial so the fluctuations you are giving with 5.5 and 7 ferts and water retrospective may be causing a serious lockout. different nutrients are availible more or less at different PH ranges and the fluctuations may be causing a lockout. Just my 2 cents but I would say try to keep PH the same weather or not you are using fertilizer or plain water. I would flush heavy, wait 1-2 weeks before watering again if thats possible and then start ferts again 1/2 strength and then up from there back to your norm. all the solids in the organic fertilizers ie: "the chaulky stuff" more than likely build up in the soil and need to be removed by flushing. Ever notice the difference in texture between the chemical ferts and the organic stuff?

3. #3 Propaganja420, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2012
    Idea from a troubleshooter- Leaves are yellow or white, but the veins are mostly green. >> Iron (Fe) deficiency.

Iron - Fe is unavailable to plants when the pH of the water or soil is too high. If deficient, lower the pH to about 6.5 (for rockwool, about 5.7), and check that you're not adding too much P, which can lock up Fe. Use iron that's chelated for maximum availability. Read your fertilizer's ingredients - chelated iron might read something like "iron EDTA". To much Fe without adding enough P can cause a P-deficiency.

Check the Phosphorous content of all the stuff you are using. remember you have to add the total P of all the different ferts you are using, maybe its too much.

4. here is another thought....doesnt really look like a spider mite problem but I have had mites before and it does create spots on the leaves just not as brite white as yours. The mites feed on chlorophyll though so it may be worth looking into. The mites will live only on the bottom of the leaves and they are extremely tiny so get a 30x or better scope and check right near the Maine Vein that runs length wise on the leaf, those litth bastard like to hide there. older mites are little black specs and younger ones are more greenish and harder to see.

5. Most definately notice the difference, but my problem is this is only my 3rd feeding in 4 weeks so a buildup seems highly unlikely. But at least were on the same page with ph swings/lockout. I try to always keep it between 6.3-6.8 like my fert suggests for soil, but since my ph meter broke its been guesswork and trying to mimic what I always do, but without testing now. Chances are the ph swing last night from my feeding caused a cal/mag lockout. I'll need to flush with ph'd water and hope they snap right back I guess. Let me know if you think differently or suggest I do otherwise, please. I'm going to the hydro store right now and getting stuff on my tab, including a new ph meter, so hopefully this is nothing too serious and a simple ph fix. My only concern is the droopy leaves the days leading up to... And I'm no rookie with overwatering (not ruling that out though).

6. #7 Propaganja420, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2012
    Those spots came overnight? That would be extremely rare if not impossible. Is it possible you didn't notice those spots before? A PH change in one watering would not cause such a drastic and rapid change and even if it did....a nutrient lockout wouldn't show itself that fast. 4 weeks IS long enough for this to show itself, so I still would consider a lockout but not because of the PH change which you said only occurred last night. What are the Macro contents of each of the ferts you are using?, if you don't mind getting that info for me.

7. I do have a slight might problem, but it's nothing serious, and if anything more controlled now than ever. Where I live it's nearly impossible to kill them and our only hope is keepin them at bay. I'm nearly positive this isn't caused by mights, unless a new species with new destruction patterns have emerged. They will be getting their spray down before switching to flower and then all should be good until finish. The ONLY changed variable is no ph meter to test with. I'm very familiar with mites and I got the rule this one out. I appreciate your effort and time though. I'm gonna have to go with ya on ph problems/deficiency caused by it. Iron is a possibility, although the pictures match up more closely with calcium deficient leaves. Again, thank you for your time, effort, and concern. Hopefully we get over these minor road bumps soon and get our nice, lush, green leaves back :)

8. I had the same thing happen when I made a noob mistake and watered with the light on.

9. Yes, last night they had absolutely no ill effects other than being droopy. Nice and green, but droopy like overwatered. Even last night when the pots were dry and light the leaves appeared overwatered and not overdried (familiar with the difference). I proceeded to feed because they were dry. Then this morning, only 10 hours later, I noticed bronzing on all 8 older plants, but not the younger 7 who were fed the same feeding. I have pictures from yesterday when they were green and droopy, and I have pictures from now when they're droopy and bronzing. I'll post yesterday's picture and you can see all green. The mites are under control so you can't see any dots from the picture, but they are there too and I doubt they are causing this, especially over night.

Attached Files:

10. It does resemble light bleaching somewhat, but please elaborate on your noob mistake. I've always watered with lights on and get great results. Plus they're on 24 hours right now and the strains sensitive to any light changes and even tries flowering under 18/6.

11. I'm familiar with chlorosis as well and it's not looking like that at all. My stems and veins are healthy as ever. It's strictly the more mature fan leafs bronzing and if anything it looks more like Necrosis and not chlorosis. I don't think my crappy phone camera does justice in a bright room, but if I were to match it with a picture from the defiency charts its spot on with calcium defiency. But either way, regardless what it is, ph'd flush is about all I can do, right?

12. A water droplet on a leaf can act as a magnifying glass to the light. I don't know what kind of light you have going but I actually bleached the shit out of a few leaves over a mere few hours because my MH light was pointed directly at a plants top. Litterally bleached the leaves. I would say a water droplet would amplify this even if the light wasn't directly on the plant top. Yanno how HID lights have a "hot spot" or a no no spot to put a plant in.

13. Chlorosis wont effect stems and veins. Ok bro i give up...your camera must suck or something cause those spots look really much more white than they do rust colored which is what a cal def would cause. Flush for sure before they get bad like my 2 did. LOL thats why I plant extras from the start.

14. http://boards.cannabis.com/attachme...1393-small-necrosis-young-plants-dsc_0180.jpg

That image is necrosis on marijuana and resembles my top fan leaves. No water would of got up top, but I'm not ruling out bleaching either. That image though is spot on with mine.