do i need an intake fan?

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by sarstarlight, Oct 5, 2009.

1. hi! thank you for having me! this is my first post! i hope it is in the right place, etc.... :wave:

anyway, here is my question:

i just set up an indoor space for 6 plants to grow in soil inside a typical sliding door closet (about 3' long and 2' deep). i have not planted the clones yet...still setting up. i have a 600w hps light with a 6" 145w outtake fan going into my attic and a couple of fans blowing around inside the closet. i bought everything from a grow store and this is the set-up they recommended (i have never grown indoors before, only outdoors). but now i am wondering if i need an intake fan too?

let me add that the closet doors are not air-tight, if that makes a difference.

also, it does not feel hot in the room and it definitely feels like there is a lot of air moving around in there.

any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks so much!

PEACE!
    :smoke:

2. It sounds like you gonna need more space unless you plan on training the plants to grow to fit esp if you have a couple fans in there as well. When i grew in that small of a space i was only doing 2. But to answer your question you could grow without an intake but if you stick with 6 plants an intake would do you a lot of good because your ladies(hopefully) will not only need to take in fresh air they are gonna put off some not so good stuff for the others. Just my thoughts when i read your post hope its helps make your decision. Good luck with your grow you should think about a grow journal and maybe some pics. many people on here have seen and have a lot of experience growing so you should be able to get plenty of help.

3. thanks! i will take some pics tonight and post them here. i just planted the babies today.

here is what i planted - 2 dj short grape (I/S hybrid), 2 santa cruz og (I/S hybrid), and 2 purple kush (pure I). all ladies! :) i was told that all three of these would grow shorter and bushier, and i should make sure to flower when they are 1/2 as tall as i want them to be so they don't outgrow the space, and if they start to invade each other then i can prune them or tie them back. i just realized that i wrote 3' long and 2' deep, but it is actually a little over 5' x 2'.... like a regular closet. my light covers a 3' x 3' space (supposedly).

i have the light on a chain so i can move it up and down. right now it is about 2 feet above the babies. i do have a small fan blowing across their tops (they are only about 4" tall) and it doesn't feel to hot in there to me right now. and the closet is definitely not air tight.... the outtake fan is creating a vacuum around the outside of the closet doors. we have a black cloth over the mirrors and it is literally being sucked to the closet door! :) so, i think i am going to to go with it on this cycle and access the situation after harvest. if it looks like i need an intake then i'll put on ein. i've already dropped a bunch of $$$ already! :) but i am sure (i hope!) it will be worth it!

thanks for your help! i'll post pics soon!
    :D

4. You NEED an exhaust fan, you DO NOT NEED an intake fan. As long as you have an exhaust fan, all you need is an intake port, no fan. You will not "force" any more air into the cabinet by adding a fan.

5. Awesome! Thanks LBJ!

6. im still confused on the difference between an intake fan and a normal fan. im gettin an exhaust and 3 fans for 6 x 7 room. but im kinda unsure on the intake fan and wut it does

7. "Intake" refers to how you are using the fan. An intake fan is used to bring new air into the area and the exhaust fan is the one that sucks the air out.

Point it into the cab,it's an intake, turn it around, it's an exhaust