Do I need a ballast to use this bulb? please

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by growhard, May 2, 2011.

1. Hi all, i'm hoping you can help me today, i've been reading the forums for a while now, doing my research and what not, so anyway i'm gathering supplies for my grow area. I was looking for 40watt bulbs in the UK and found these..

PLT Compact Fluorescent Lamp 42 watt 4 pin Daylight

My question is.. do these bulbs need an external ballast, i'm confused, at first i thought i could buy some connectors and just wire it all up myself sans ballast, but now i'm not sure, ideally I want to avoid spending more money on a ballast.

I found these, no price though, i'll have to call them.G24 / GX24 with Internal Ballast - Primelight Does anyone know if I can just buy these instead of those bulky external electronic ballasts.

I'd appreciate the benefit of you guys experience here, i've been googling all day and i'm just more confused, also its a public holiday here so I cant call the store to ask them.

Thanks for reading

2. No, you do not need a ballast with this bulb ... However this bulb is \t220-240V

cheers

3. Wish I could help but that light is atypical of what we get here in the US in terms of CFLs. Most of ours are all screw in types.

4. Thanks guys. I rang the company and they said yes it needs a ballast. But in the meantime I found some 65watt bulbs which do not need a ballast(well technically they do have a ballast but its built into the base of the bulb) So thanks for the input, and yes it gets confusing when I see something here on the forum then I cant find it in the shops, but thats because things are a little different here in the UK.

5. Do any cfl's need a ballast?

6. Yes they do unless the are self ballasted!