Do I have to get to know my step sibs? Even if they are total nutters? ***Vent***

Discussion in 'General' started by G&TMom, Jun 25, 2009.

1. My Dad is getting married to a lady he meet a few months after my Mom died. This lady is really nice but she has two spoiled and strictly religious daughters who are certifiably crazy.

The youngest one (who is 23, dating and in school) is all excited and wants to be sisters and besties:rolleyes: I have been told she wants to meet on Friday and she is driving up here so we can get to know each other.

I am 34, married and with kids.

In a few months I won't even live in the same Province as them and now they are already 2 hours away.

I do not want to have a relationship with her, she sounds like a judgemental bitch from what I have heard. I am a pot smoking vegetarian with tattoos.

Am I being a dick to my Dad by nicely telling this chick to back off.

I mean if you are adults and are not going to be living together are you really "sisters".

I am pissed because I found out today that the "small family wedding" is going to be followed by a pig roast. My bro's GF and my kids and I are veg :confused: We are his only family beside his Mom.
    My 5 year old thinks it is gross and doesn't want to go.

Oh and the other daughter drove up to my Mom and Dads place, left my Dad in the kitchen and went down stirs and searched my dead mother's house for dirt on my Dad because she was dead against the relationship for religious reasons.

So do I have to add this bitch to my christmas card list??

2. I don't think you automatically have to be friends with them. I'd probably get together with her, and give it a shot... I mean, do you really want to judge her before you even meet her?

As for the pig roast, it's their wedding. BYOV.

3. you're grown up and have a life of your own. you dont need to be all close with your pop's new stepdaughter.

4. i would do it for my dad.

5. Why not give it a try? Dont judge these people until you meet them, you could end up really getting along well with them. Give it a shot and try to be there for your dad. It may seem selfish of him that he expects you to be best friends with your step siblings, but at least feel it out before you decide they suck.

6. #6 Charlie, Jun 25, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2009
    it's clear you have your own family to deal with now and im sure your dad understands that as much as he knows he shouldn't have to pick his wife based on your approval/disapproval. with you moving, fact of the matter is it will be so unfeasible to see each other that you might as well not know each other. the only thing you guys are related through his a court document. be up front about everything you feel so no one gets any misconstrued thoughts about what's to be expected in these new relationships.

i'm only 23 and i have a 10 year old step sister who my father and stepmother had. they only live about 10 miles away but i make it clear in my actions and lack of communication that i don't care for either my stepmother or stepsister. i only deal with my dad directly and they know that.

while family is just a concept, it can't be a forced concept. it's something you have to feel for yourself. if you don't feel it, don't lie about it. no need to string along and drag out these relationships that mean shit to you.

if you do go to the pig roast, i agree with penelope, byov. while it would be nice for them to respect your choices in eating habits, it's still your choices to be veggies and should supply your own food.

7. Fuck no.

8. It's a christmas card, would it really kill you to send one more?

9. By just reading the first post I will say that you should at least meet the woman and make your own impression first. If you feel that she is still a judgmental bitch then leave it at that and don't make it a habit of seeing them.

But family is important and if they make your dad happy then you should at least attempt to get along. I just wouldn't go out of my way to do it....

10. Meet em, hang out a few times, and base your decision off that. If they turn out to be total sacktaps, just avoid them.

11. You can be friendly but I mean, just because your father marries somebody with kids, doesn't make them your family right away.

With time though, who knows?

12. She might be pretty cool TBH. I mean sure they seem like mungaloids, but maybe she is cool in person.

I would just wait till she is at the door, and blow some smoke around, let her know its your life and you smoke. From there, just hit up a cool place to eat, and get to know her. After all that, PM me with her number :D

13. If you love your dad, I'd give her a chance.

At least... bother with his girlfriend, er, fiance? She's nice, right?

As for your step-sisters. I'd say, give it a shot. If you meet up, and hang out or whatever, that's alright. If she judges you because you smoke weed or have tattoos, or something completely irrelevant like that, then fuck it. You don't need that. You are 34. Your own person!

Also, if she tries to push her religion on you, I'd say scrap it. I hate when people do that. I'm sure you can get along fine, even if you appear to be polar opposites. After all, aren't religious people supposed to be good to everyone, and accepting? That's what I thought, but I know that sadly, many are hypocrites. Not all, but many.

So, maybe give her a chance. She's quite a bit younger than you. The ultimate test. Tell her to come over. When she comes in, you should be smoking a joint, or have some weed lying around or something. See how she handles it.

14. Meet her @ a neutral place, give her her the benefit of doubt and then - after - tell her what you then still think needing to tell her.

That way no one can say you have been pre-judgmental.

Good luck and keep us posted.

:)

15. On a side-note...

Family; love 'em or hate 'em, they're with you for life.

Step-family; like them, or tell them to go away, lol.

I dunno.

16. Sorry man, but I gotta go with your Dad.

The least you can do it meet them, dont make judgements on people before you meet them..

And you said it yourself, you're gone in 2 months, so whats to worry about?

17. Side notes here

Thats cool your a veg, I definatly want to try it and see how I like it while I'm still young, aha.

Your kids are veg's too? even at such a young age? I've never heard of a kid being so young and not eating meat, do you have to give them iron supplement or something? either way, still cool

I dont think you have to interact at all. no christmas cards, no dinners, no "hanging out to get to know eachother" unless it really means something to your dad.

I would go to the pig roast, to be there for your father. it sounds like hes been through some shit so you know he'd love you to support him.

Its too late in all of your lives to start a new house hold family, so he probably dosent even care if know your step siblings or not.

18. Thanks all.

I know I am being negative but I would be much more receptive if it wasn't all so pushed upon me.

I do love my Dad but he is very different from me. His GF and I do have a relationship and I really like her for my Dad. Her daughter lost all my respect when she rooted through my Moms stuff.

The pig roast things pissed me off because I don't want to look at a dead animal on a fire.

19. eh give em a day. If you dont care for them after a day then be like "peace ***** dont ever talk to me when ya see me!" and drive home. Never come back when theyre there except for holidays n shit.

Shit I got real family that I have to be damn near dragged over to see like once or twice a year :D

20. go with it, nothing good can come out of it really

btw if I was a veggie, i'd 'let loose' on family celebrations/holidays..just to give you and your body a 'break'