Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

do i have to cure my recently harvested buds first?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by JNorris, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Hey guys I'm looking to make some butter, and having just harvested my NL plant, I wanna throw some of the branches through a food processer, stem, leaf and bud all included. I know its necessary to cure the buds for a good smoke, but since I'm not smoking these, do I still have to cure it, or can I just hang dry the buds and use them from there?

2. you should always decarb your weed before making butter or oil. So i am gonna say yes it should be cured properly.

3. decarb it in the oven. or do what i do, vape your weed first and then make butter out of the leftover weed. its quite efficent and works well if you save up enough and be patient!

and sorry, forgot to add. no, technically you do NOT need to cure these buds but to maximize potency it is suggested you decarb it--although its a little pain in the butt to be stickin them in your oven like that.

4. Thank you :) throwin it all in the oven doesn't bother me, haven't had success with edibles yet, dozens of failed firecrackers and 2 failed oil attempts, butter in a crockpot on low doesn't seem too complicated though lol. I do have an absurd tolerance though, where most "headies" in the area give me a mild buzz, and I kill a gram to myself in 2 hours lol

5. [quote name='"JNorris"']

Thank you :) throwin it all in the oven doesn't bother me, haven't had success with edibles yet, dozens of failed firecrackers and 2 failed oil attempts, butter in a crockpot on low doesn't seem too complicated though lol. I do have an absurd tolerance though, where most "headies" in the area give me a mild buzz, and I kill a gram to myself in 2 hours lol[/quote]

I'm with this guy I've never felt anything from edibles n really would like to. Question bout the whole oven thing I'm planning on do the dry ice kief method today and wanna make butter with some of it so does the kief go in the oven or wht? And what's the point of the oven step in the first place?

6. I made some dry ice hash and then made some butter with it without decarbing it... I won't make that mistake again... Just search decarbing weed before edible use and it should pop up. I know badkittysmiles has a thread where she talks about it.

Decarbing is for completely dehydrating the marijuana and activating the THC.. i wanna say its 20 minutes at 220 but I could be wrong..:D

7. If you want a simple way to do butter...

grab a thermos.
    melt a get butter to a nice boil. pour it in.
    pour in your weed.
    shake it up a lot. let it sit for some time and continue shaking. try not to open or else it will let the heat out.. i think i did mine for 8 hours.
    filter out the butter with cheese cloth. toss the herb.
    cook with it. add to popcorn. whatever.

potent stuff and i did it with vaped weed too. high tolerance here so i was surprised.

8. If you want a REALLY easy and effective way to make oil use BKS canna oil recipe. Its so easy all you really do is put your weed/oil in a bowl and throw it in the oven. SIMPLE.

9. Hmmm this is really interesting and the first time I've heard of such a method, it seems legitimate, pethaps throughout those 8 hours it would be wise to set the thermos filled with melted butter and herb, in a pot of boiling water to sorta raise/maintain the inside temp? I know thermos' are designed to keep the contents temperature completely seperate from atmospherical, but id imagine it'd cool to some degree? Again, this seems very interesting, and completely new to me, but I might stick with a more commonly practiced and tested method