Do i have everything i need for my first grow?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jumphigh, Apr 9, 2011.

1. I just purchased a Waterfarm hydroponics thingy ($80 with shipping. I'll make my own once I get a successful crop. I want to get the growing down so i know it isn't my equipment).

I'm gonna get a good timer, 8 26 watt CFL bulbs, just some clamp bendy arm lamps. Boxfan for exhaust (with carbon filter), oscillating fan, PH meter (some up and down supplies) Some jugs for having extra water handy already with correct PH. A few emergency blankets to have around the plant. I'm still researching which nutrients to buy. I'm probably going to go with something simple to start. Still open to suggestions.

I'm gonna build a little stand to hold my lighting and such.

Is there anything else I need?

Will update with photos once I get some growth. Any idea what kind of yield I should expect (dry) for a 2.5 gallon bucket? Conservative number just so I have an idea of how poorly or well i did.

Thanks! I've never grown anything before, so I'm hoping this works out.

2. Try going soil for your first grow. ALOT easier, but for your 2nd plant when you get a hang of it go hydro!

3. Really? Hydro seems a lot easier. Checking and adjusting ph shouldn't be an issue for me (I work in a lab, and adjust ph often on samples). Soil seems.... tricky. A friend of mind tried and his two attempts died when he moved to a bigger pot. Hydro set ups just seem to make more sense to me. I always thought they were complicated, but then I saw pictures of a friends set up, and it's just like caring for an aquarium. It can't be more complicated than caring for salt water fish.

Monitoring water level is easier. Seems like adding nutrients to water is less complicated than fertilizer.

Is hydro really that much more complicated?

4. Soil is extremely easy tbh. It'll live if you just water it normally for a month then add some nutes into your water. 8-16 weeks later you have a plant. But if you are comfortable with hydro, be my guest!

5. It's more a mental thing. I guess the complicated set up for hydro, I understand what's going on so I feel more comfortable.

I've killed so many potted plants (just household plants to liven up my living space). I did everything right and it just never worked.

Though, my roommate had the same problem when we were living in our old apartment. Maybe it was just the house.

I was planning to get my supplies at lowes tomorrow, it won't hurt to grab a pot and some soil.

Could I grow a hydro plant next to the potted if I used both blue/red spectrum CFLs ? I'm only using bag seeds, so I dong care so much about what happens.

I'm leaning towards just focusing on one until I get it down. Maybe I'll toss some
    Strawberries in the hydro. Might be too late in the season (I honestly have no clue, my housemates were discussing growing some). Not gonna waste lights on them. We have a nice sun room that produced a nice amount of catnip.

6. Yeh fucking sweet man. I got strawberrys growing aswell, but yeah you could have Potted next to hydro with no harm.

7. I began with hydro... BUT, don't use your beans first. Use a tomato plant or a few of em, so if you kill them, you know what you did wrong.

The key to ANY successful grow, be it in soil or hydro is

RESEARCH the shit out of what you are doing before doing it, and CONTINUE to research the topic for the entire time you are growing. This way, you learn as you go, and you can also pick up little ideas from other growers.

Good luck and enjoy your harvest.

PS: Patience is hard to have with MJ, but it's worth it!