do i have enough lighting? too much?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by blkarmphoenix, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Hello everyone. I am beginning to build a grow box roughly 3'x2'x2'. I am only looking to grow 2 plants. The inside will be painted white in lieu of mylar. I will be using cfl lights. The lights I ordered are 2 42 watt 6700k CFL's to hang above the plants, 2 13 watt 6700k CFL's to go on either side of the box, and also 2 18 watt 2700k CFL's also for either side.

My question is, will this light setup produce good results in vegging 2 plants? Is it overkill at all? I'm not so much worried about excess light as I am excess heat generated.

Any answers appreciated :)

2. You can not generate enough light. Remember your plants grow out in the sun and that is one very bright light source. 

As for heat Cannabis as a rule of thumb likes the temperatures you like...70-80. You maintain that when the lights are on your set. 

CFLs can be a pain in the ass. You will be adjusting them regularly and place them 4-6 inches from the plant. After about 6 inches there is no grow spectrum. Your plants will just stretch to the light. As time goes on you will have to add more because of that most likely since they have to be close you lose grow area for the light to hit. 

You might consider a T5 rack. They come in all sizes and bulb numbers. Go to HTGSupply.com to find them. 

3. I guess it would be worth noting that my space will actually be divided. About a third of the space will be partitioned for drying/curing. So the actual GROW space is really only 1.5x1.5x3 (3 feet tall one and a half square). The two main CFLs will be on chains to adjust height. But the small space was my reason for thinking the side bulbs could be semi-fixed in their position.

4. With CFL's you dont want to put them more than 2 inches away. A cfl won't burn your plant unless it's physically touching the bulb.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

5. The only input I have is my temps run 78 - 85 so I would say slightly above 80 is ok. But in growing autos so that could be why it's still fine

6. For a space 1.5 x 1.5 you need at least 112 watts of light. 50 watts per square foot of space.

7. U can never have too much light from what I hear :p

I assume this is the ACTUAL wattage, not the comparison wattage on a cfl. If so that means i'll be sitting on, 146 watts. So I should be all gravy right?

I know I know lol, like I said, not so much worried about light output as I am heat generated. Dont wanna be startin no fires now lol.

9. might consider checking out the microgrow section, those dudes deal with real small space situations all the time.

10.  Always ACTUAL watts.

11. Goos where's the micro grow section?

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using Grasscity Forum mobile app