Do I have ADD/ADHD?

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by teeheeterror, Dec 26, 2012.

1. I'm 20 years old and the thought just occurred to me. I've always kinda had things like social anxiety, mild depression, trouble concentrating but now I think it might be genetic.
    An example would be, when I'm doing schoolwork I often navigate between tabs when I get bored after a short period. I feel like everyone does this to an extent but what really bothers me is the fact that I sometimes walk or run around for the house for a few seconds before resuming work.
    I also find that when people give me instructions to follow it doesn't come naturally in some cases. Like I'll be drifting off in my head even though I'm comprehending the words they're saying. Basically I'm not present. This could be contributed to the lack of chores I did as a kid, or lack of work experience I had growing up.
    I also think alot as well, often having inner monologues and speak to myself outloud conversations I would have with people, or even the exact words I've said to someone whether it be the night before of a couple days ago, or a conversation that I wasn't satisfied with.
    I often care a lot what people think of me and I'm self conscious in social situations or walking in places with a good amount of people. Although I'm more conscious of this now and try my best to project more confidence in these situations.

I know that was a handful to read, but if it seems familiar to anyone, whether it be yourself or someone you know, do tell. And for those who have ADD/ADHD, how do you go about suppressing it? Pharmaceuticals? Or more natural methods?

2. Sounds just like me.

When my dad got custody i went off them and now i still haven't graduated.

3. definately not adhd - you probably wouldn't have been able to finish your op LoL
    possibly a mild form of add. i tend to have similar behaviors but i can get my shit done. and usually when i have a good night sleep or whatever i can focus (get in the zone) to do what I need to do without getting distracted. Lately i've been noticing that I don't diverge my attention to distracting things until i finish with whatever i need to finish, so i think i'm growing out of it.

idk, maybe you will too

4. You're fine, man. It is natural and necessary for anyone to have to get up and walk around the house to take a break after 15 minutes or so. The mind sort of goes numb from being in the same gear for too long.

People walk themselves through performing the actions of verbal instructions when they're listening, so it will look like you're zoned out when you're going through a plan in your head.

Remember that you're the master of your inner monologue. You don't have to think or feel anything you don't want to. (this takes practice)

pharmaceuticals are the kiss of death. They provide a good feeling that people interpret to be focus or concentration, it makes them think they need this feeling to be focused, but the truth is there is no special feeling sensation associated with concentrating.

The way to focus to put away your "feelers" It is about forgetting about youself and instead of trying to do things, letting things happen through you.

5. ADHD imo, doesn't exist. It's just another thing that doctors make money off of.

6. Just because u don't have it doesn't mean other people don't I have ADHD and I'm telling u it's real from experience...

7. there are some websites you can go on to take a quick test for adhd and add
    I took one last week and it said I may have a mild form of it.....I say take the online test and go to a dr and have him check it out if you feel like you want/need help/medication

8. Yeah those online things are bullshit I think u should go to a doctor they have a machine that checks...

9. actually if you read up on adhd and add you will find the questions that the test asks are the same questions a dr will ask you to determine if you have the problem

10. Wow man most of those things you just posted are exactly like mine, When I first started weight training it totally changed me mentally. I felt as if my mind felt tranquil and laid back after going really really hard busting my balls working. I say you should just try it out and might put you at ease. I also had a confidence boost especially when I noticed my pants that were once tight sagging.

11. yeah ADHD is real for sure, when my friend who has it doesn't smoke weed he just perpetually talks jibberish the whole time and throws shit round the room and basically acts like an eight year old.

However O.P doesn't sound like he has it, ADHD people aren't usually socially anxious right?

12. Run around for at least 30 minutes everyday (preferably more) stay active. you are an animal. adhd doesn't exist

13. I do work out though. Don't run as much as I nearly used but I do lift a lot.
    I feel like when I'm home alone I have so much energy but no way to channel it. Whereas when I meet people, or am out in public I feel lethargic, it should be like the total opposite but it's not.

14. This.

15. Doctors are bullshit.

almost every disease/illness/condition can be cured with proper nutrition.

16. I've believed I have ADHD-PI recently. It would explain biting my nails constantly all my life, tapping my fingers and feet, and always shifting in my seat consistently.

I'd like to exercise, but I fucking can't get a proper routine going...I have no idea what to do, how many reps, all that bullshit, usually I'll start, get two minutes in, get bored, and go do something else...and fuck the gym, there's people + social interaction there.

And even if I don't have it, the meds cure my social and general anxieties 100%, so why the fuck wouldn't I take them until I get my shit together?

17. As long as you're doing one or the other. Personally I like to stay fit by lifting cause I don't ever want to go back to being super skinny. Kills my confidence. I take opportunities to socialize but I'm usually more lazy with that than I am with lifting. And also because I'm not the most socially adept person so there's anxiety that goes along with that.
    What meds do you take? Prozac? Xanax? How are they working out for you? I kinda want to take them as well but I'm scared of the side effects and long term drawbacks that I'll be facing down the road. But everyone who's on them seems to be doing pretty well.

18. I'm not actually prescribed anything (please don't scold me on this.) but I've taken a few vyvanse recently. The only side-effects I get are that I don't feel like eating sometimes, and if I take one too late in the day, then I can't get to sleep.