do i have a bug problem?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by pure1, Jul 5, 2012.

1. some of my leaves look eaten, or some holes in the middle of that, almost like cracks, but on some leaves it looks like something was eating at it, here are pics..

watchya think?

Attached Files:

2. The second picture definitely looks like a the same bite marks get every time I plant, or transplant with new soil. Even though the soil is suppose to be sterilized, it still has eggs that hatch after the first watering of the new soil. I've used Fox farms soil and Miracle grow soil and it happens with both.
    Now I just spray the plants three days after I use new soil. Then spray again in 3-4 four days. I never have a problem any more.
    If you already have a problem then spray both sides of all the leaves of the whole plant. Then do it again two more times. every 3-4 days or whatever the directions say.
    I use Ortho that i get from Lowes or home depot. It comes in a one gallon green container and has a yellow pump sprayer on it with a cord so you can easily spray both under the plant.

3. when i transplant wont the old soil also be affected? or do i spray that down too before i transplant.

also i have some garden safe insect killer spray, does that workgood too?

this sucks, i just dont want it to get an infestation

4. I`ve had spider mites before and that doesnt look like spider mite damage to me. On the top of the leaves you will see little white dots all over the place as the spider mite larva eat away at the inner tissue layers. On the bottom of the leaves the most you will see with the naked eye is their poop and webs. The visible little white dots are usualy a dead give away of spider mite damage. Do you have a 30X pocket scope to get a closer look?

marijuana spider mite damage - Google Search

5. You don't see all the white dots in the 2nd picture?

6. I see a few but not as profound as what I`ve had or seen first hand. Whats different with yours are the holes in the leaves. When I had spider mites they didnt eat holes in the leaves or chew on the edges. Eiether way something is doing damage and if possible I would remove the plant and bug bomb the rooms and spray the plants with something like Liquid Lady Bug or Pyrethrin.

7. You don't spray the dirt just the plant. The bugs come from eggs that are laying dormant in the soil until you water it for the first time, then they hatch and start munching on the out side of the leafs. After that they just live on the plant not the soil so you only have to treat the plant after you water new soil for the first time. I hope that makes sense.
    They like the new growth so look close at the tops and see if they are currently being eaten. They lay there eggs under the leafs and they look like little white larva. That's why you have to spray under the plant leafs. The spray doesn't kill eggs, that's why you have to spray two to three times to stop the cycle.
    Don't worry about a break out unless you are into flowering already. If there just in the veg phase then just spray all your plants real good.
    I have gotten rid of mine several times. The spray is not good for the oil on the flowers but the leafs can be spray every three days for three times and there gone.
    I don't have the problem any more since I just automatically spray after every transplant with new soil and I never even see them.
    I don't know about that spray you have. Make sure you get something that is safe to spray ON the plant. Try that Ortho "Flower Fruit and Vegetable insect spray" It has its own pump handle and its cheaper then the hydro store. You can get it at lowes or home depot.

8. Hey Jackson

and i have been in floweinrg, for about 2 weeks now, its already showing sex two. I got two ladies..

9. Its not too late but do it now. Any resin glands you have get kinda melted down a little by the spray so hurry.
    Maybe there is something you can use during full flowering but i don't know. Two weeks should be fine since there isn't a lot of resin YET!:smoke:

10. i just sprayed under and on top of the leaves with some garden safe insect killer. Should I get the pest strips like advised too?

I just dont want an infestation by harvest..

11. #11 Jackson55, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2012
    These bugs don't fly so pest strips won't help if its the bugs I'm talking about. I use pest strips for nats but I don't notice they do any damage anyway. They don't munch on leafs. I live in the desert so most bugs don't survive out here. I don't even need flee medicine for my dog since flee's can't survive. I only have experience with the bugs that come in with the new soil. They don't cause webs, they just munch on the outside of the leafs. Your leafs look like old munch marks though.

12. Is that spray meant to be sprayed on the plants. "Garden Safe" sounds like maybe for around the garden.

13. [​IMG]

its this stuff exactly.

says use indoors and outdoors, use up to day of harvest (i still wont), kills aphidis, mealybugs, mite, japanese bettles, and other listed insects

14. That's what you need. Make sure you get underneath real good and do it again.
    I was told by the expert at the hydro store to spray the second time, four days later and that will break the cycle. I decided to do it three days later and then one more time three days later to make sure.
    It has always worked and I have never had a recurring problem until the next time I use new soil again.
    good luck

15. really? awesome

cause i heard mites reproduce every 5 days or something.

so when i start a new grow, when do i spray my plants? as seedlings?

16. #16 Jackson55, Jul 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2012
    I'm not an expert but the problem I have only comes when you water new soil for the first time.
    I never start seeds in regular soils so I don't know how that would work. I use pure pete moss or root riots or something that for sure would not have bugs in it.
    After I water the new soil for the first time I wait for 3-4 days. That give the eggs time to hatch then I spray for the first time.

17. I have had spider mites 3 times in ten years. The best way is to use Azamax as a drench application in between nutrient cycles. Its expensive $68 but worth not having the aggravation of mites. The mites wont feed on the plants treated and then when you take clones from the treated plants, they too have protection. You need to use it in veg state and then let it flower out. To get rid of em use liquid lady bug like the other poster.

But your pictures do not look like spider mite damage. Maybe Heat stress, 84.7 is the highend of temp range even with CO2 enrichment I keep it 80 and 50% humidity in veg and 50 to 60 in flowering. Mites will be noticed under a 10x microscope for sure and just by looking under the leaves for tiny brown or black spots, but beware when they crawl across your scope your gonna want to go nuclear on those evil bastards. Also their eggs look like milky bulbuses under the fan leaves.

18. You made me so happy thinking it's not mites. Still wouldn't hurt to take precautions right? But yeah, I was thinking the things were from humidity or heat, cause they also crack sometimes easily. I have a very hard time controlling humidity since I use an A/C to cool the room, it takes it all out.

19. Could you do a spray down a few days before flowering? (during the transition from 24/24, 18/6, 12/12)

20. Whats your humidity at? I had spider mites twice, once indoors and once outdoors and your damage didnt look anything like what I had for damage from spider mites. Depending on the spray some you can use right upto a day or two from harvest although I wouldnt do that if I could help it. For Aazamax I dont use it as a spray I use it as a preventative when watering. Like 1 ounce to 3 gallons of water once a week.