Do I add anything to the soil?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by orbital, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Hello,
    My seeds just germinated, I was wondering do I plant it right away?
    Also I just bought some fox farm ocean soil, do I add any of the nutes to it ?
    I got the three pack of liquids from fox farm, should I add any of them to the soil of the recently germinated seed ?
    I haven't stuck the seed in the soil yet wanted to ask her first

Thank you

2. Never use fertilizers on seedlings. They should be started in a fairly inert medium like seed starter soil, peat or rockwool, since even the nutrients found in good potting soil can hurt them. Once the single bladed leaves are grown & the 3-bladed leaves start poking up between them, the plants get moved from the infertile seed starter mix to nutritious soil.

3. thank you very much,
    one more question
    after the seeds are planted do i expose them to light or just wait until the emerge from the soil?

4. I use FFOF to germ seeds and never had a problem. I put seeds directly in the dirt. If you're using the paper towel method you should plant them as soon as they pop. They don't need light until they emerge from the soil but check them frequently because they do need light when they break ground. Personally I find it easier to put the lights on before they emerge (so I don't have to check them so frequently) but other people think they need darkness. Seeds that germinate outside get sun on the soil before they emerge, so that's my lazy-ass reasoning. Just be sure to keep the soil moist until they come up. No nutes at all for 2 or 3 weeks.

5. perfect thats the soil i used, and good i will check them often and once they emerge ill put them in the light
    is 4 26w cfl 6500k lights good ( equilvelent to 100w) enough for 1 plant?

also what is the appropriate temperature and humidity to keep in a grow box at all times?

any good digital thermometers you recommend?
    thank you

6. One bulb is enough for a sprout, then add another bulb after a few days. 104W is enough to veg one plant. Keep a fan on the lights. Ideal temp is around 75F, but up to 82 prolly is okay, depending on the strain. Humidity during veg should be somewhere around 50% to 85%. High humidity is especially important for seedlings. After that my plants have to suffer with whatever the ambient RH is (always too low). During flower it should be around 50%, but not higher than 65%. Verify this because I'm not positive about the recommended RH.

I use this thermometer: Holmes® Digital Thermometer / Hygrometer - HHG300-U - JardenStore
    It's hard to read in low light, but it seems to work okay. I ran the "outside" sensor wire into the cab along with the power cords and I position it at the canopy. There are lots of similar indoor/outdoor thermo-hygrometers out there.

7. Thank you so much for the information!
    Is there a way to get the humidity up?

8. the easiest thing is a humidifer. You could also mist the plants (preferably with distilled water if your water is hard.) Or keep some wet rags or sponges in there -- that's a messy option.

9. how long would i keep it on daily to get the humidity up, i actually have a humidifier that i used on a terrarium

10. It would vary depending on the output of the humidifier and the size of the grow box. Best thing is to get a hygrometer. With the digital thermo-hygrometers the RH is for the main thermometer, not the remote sensor, so you would have to put the whole thing inside the box to measure the humidity.

11. okay perfect thanks !
    last question haha, what fans should i use to circulate air, intake air and export air ?
    any good pc fans ?

12. okay well i have all the equipment in place,
    well my germinated seed sprouted from the soil, do i need to keep it wrapped in plastic to keep the moisture in, or can i take it off since the lights are on?

while its still small do i keep the lights on 24 hours a day?

how much and how often do i water?

thank you all for the help

13. The fan question is a hard one. I use 120mm PC server fans that are 38mm thick. The 25mm thick fans are too weak. Got any pics of your set-up?

You can take the plastic off. Or you can partially remove it to let some air in, then completely remove it the next day.

Some people use a 24/0 schedule for veg, others use 18/6, or somewhere in between.

When the sprouts are little, let the top layer of soil dry out a bit between waterings, then when it gets bigger let the soil dry out more.

14. the ones im using i think do around 80 cfm , i have two in a little cabinet around 26x20x15,

okay ill remove the plastic tomorrow

okay so right after the sprout i can keep them on a 24 hour a day schedule till they get bigger ?

so what is the proper way to water in a party cup, and when should i transfer the plant into a larger container?

thank you so much for your help, you have been great

15. you need to get a thermometer so you don't cook your plant. use one fan for exhaust, near the top of the box. cut an intake hole diagonally opposite the exhaust, at the bottom. you want the exhaust fan to pull the air from the bottom through the plant; that's why the intake should be diagonally opposite the exhaust. Position the second fan to blow on the light, and a little wind on the sprout (not too much yet). You'll probably need another exhaust fan, and another fan for the plant. The intake hole doesn't need a fan.

Make sure there are holes in the bottom of the cup for drainage. Post pictures and we'll give you advice on when to transplant. 24/0 is okay. You want to pick a schedule and stick to it. Most people use 18/6, some use 20/4, but it should be consistent.

16. can i use a petsmart one that is used for terrariums, it tells the temperature and humidity?
    okay ill make both fans exhaust, then drill another hole for intake , and grab another for circulation inside.
    ill post some pictures when i get a chance

17. Yes, just make sure it doesn't have a light, because that would be problem during flowering.

Until you buy the 3rd fan, I would put the 2nd fan on the bulbs.

18. okay thank you for all your help so far im sure im going to have many more questions soon