Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Do hospitals drug test after giving birth?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Hennessey, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Cannabis Reduces Infant Mortality - Salem-News.Com

Mortality Within the First 2 Years in Infants Exposed to Cocaine, Opiate, or Cannabinoid During Gestation -- Ostrea Jr et al. 100 (1): 79 -- Pediatrics

yeah smoke is bad for anyone and sure your aunt is being somewhat of a wuss to need cannabis to deal with something every single person's mother went through, but cannabis in itself is not harmful to the child.

its interesting to see how people just randomly make claims with no proof, very similarly to our pro-prohibition counterparts.

2. :laughing:

I think it's cute that you think you have a choice in the matter. Hint: you don't.

If it's not your body, it's not your decision. Period. You can whine and complain and threaten and yell and bitch until you can't think of anything else to say, but in the end, the woman carrying your child decides what she will and will not do with her body, pregnant or otherwise.

That being said, a good woman will respect her baby's father enough to hear his opinions and take them into consideration.

3. lmfao!!!

Attached Files:

4. I guess I knew it was coming and had no reason to resist.

5. People are idiots... Keep in mind that the baby shares the same blood as the mother while it's in the womb...

6. haha for real?

Answers.com - Can the mother's blood mix with the fetus's blood

and your the one calling people idiots....

Why do you think mother and baby can have different blood types....

7. Babies can come out of the womb addicted to crack, cocaine and other drugs the mommy ingested during pregnancy. The baby gets their fix by breast feeding. That is a fact.

8. OK, first off, without knowing all of the facts (was she truly smoking or perhaps vaping or consuming edibles? It does make a difference in MY opinion here), I'm not going to judge the decision to consume cannabis while pregnant.

Also, you mentioned being irresponsible. IF in fact there have been several PROVEN studies that have shown that there are no real bad consequences to consuming cannabis while pregnant, but could in fact have some benefits, then who exactly is being irresponsible here? The patient who has educated themselves on the proven facts, or the ignorant doctor who still believes all the bullshit Government propaganda?

Not to mention most hospitals probably receive some sort of Federal funding, so perhaps the doctors tend to "side" with propaganda for political reasons as well.

9. And your source to prove this fact? Sorry, I did look for the article to provide this answer, but your link doesn't really address this AT ALL. All it states is that the mothers bloodstream does "mix" with the fetal bloodstream, which is rather obvious to anyone with a basic understanding of biology.

Also, given the fact that cannabis has no real physically addictive properties, are you still going to be so quick to lump it in with other very highly physically addictive drugs?

10. Exactly.
    At this point in time anyone on both sides of the argument can find information that supports their viewpoint.
    I know MANY women who smoked MJ for the duration of their pregnancies with no (apparent) ill-effects.

Also, I find it ironic that most of you are men.
    I had been using cannabis for 4 years prior to conceiving, I enjoyed the occasional drink, and was also a tobacco user...and I wasn't trying to get pregnant.
    You have no clue how difficult it is to give it all up, even when there is a fetus involved. It's easy for you to get up on your soap box and bugle your bull-shit, but the fact of the matter is, you have no fucking idea how hard it is to just stop, especially when your hormones are all out of whack, you're a hot, puking, moody mess. Imagine being border-line crazy and not being able to unwind the way that you are accustomed to.
    It reminds me of the old men standing in front of Planned Parenthood with their anti-abortion signs.... bogus.

11. All I was saying is the dude that was calling people idiots, was in fact incorrect since the fetus does not share the same blood as the mother (But it can mix in the umbilical cord)..

12. I'm going to have to say you're really not the brightest bulb on the strand are you ?!?!?! The one child I didn't smoke pot with during pregnancy is the one that has mental health issues. Why don't you actually look into the truth rather then what our fawked up government wants you to think before you judge people ? Oh well like my mama always told me ignorance is bliss and are you ever blissful!!! I hope this helps you to refrain from sitting on your head.

13. I want to kindly point out to all those who think *smoking* marijuana is just as bad as smoking cigarettes during pregnancy a few tips:

1) Its nowhere NEAR as bad because you smoke way LESS combusted carbon material in terms of quantity.

2) If you sit near a campfire outside while camping or behind your house while pregnant....the effects of "smoking" are FAR worse than ANY kind of smoking of tobacco or marijuana, as you are now under CONSTANT inhalation of combusted carbon for several hours. The only thing that would be worse is a smoke filled room filled with a bunch of constant chain smokers.

14. It's proven that it doesn't affect the baby, one of my friends sister that is pregnant studied on it alot. Now I wouldn't do it, because I wouldn't want my kid smoking when older if they don't know about it, cause it can create more problems if they get caught. And i'm sure if you smoke while pregnant there are gonna be some of the traits passed on to the kid when they're older. But it doesn't affect the baby healthwise.

15. poor bay-bay! :(

16. Damn this thread Is old..

No matter how much of anything I read no pregnant girl with my baby is smoking anything. Lay the smack down if she did :smoke:

17. She shouldn't smoke while pregnant but the people saying she should go to rehab are dumb because they probably smoke aswell otherwise why would they have an account on this website.

18. I'm not sure about nationwide in the US but I can tell you with certainty in NJ all mothers are given drug tests during their delivery stay at a hospital. It's given by the hospital, it has nothing to do with the physician. If a mom were to test positive result DYFUS is notified and you go thru a process with them.

I've come to learn this thru being quite involved with my wife's delivery and also due to the fact that I've been employed by large hospitals for several years, at one point dealing with maintenance of patient record servers and viewing these sorts of documents

19. Note that thread isn't called "Judge my aunt plz" She can do whatever she wants, and honestly, people put worse chemicals in their body while pregnant.

Anyways, I don't think they will test her.