Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Do hospitals drug test after giving birth?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by Hennessey, Nov 13, 2010.

1. The thing is, I can't see any reason to use a morphine based pain killer in comparison to marijuana. We're mostly talking about morning sickness here. I'm still standing by my guns that smoking anything during pregnancy is completely inappropriate. If the mother must, edibles shouldn't be too bad. Maybe vaping too. Though their are pharmacuticals that are of varying degrees of safety for the fetus, that deal with morning sickness. Not saying it's a better substitute, just a substitute that won't get you into trouble.

The things is, what we think about it doesn't matter. Law enforcement agencies and CPS aren't nearly as sympathetic. From the article I found, and another I've read from another poster, it would seem that a newborn testing positive is a one way ticket to trouble.

2. They don't drug test you in post natal exams. Many States now allow testing of newborns, but there are no followup tests unless a court order to do so is forthcoming.

3. In other words, if there is no suspicion of drug use and the baby has all 10 fingers and toes they won't test.

4. The medicine they give in the hospital has to go through rigorous FDA approval before it enters the market. If a drug posed a serious risk it either wouldn't be approved or it would be recalled.

No one is arguing that marijuana is bad, we are arguing whether or not it is safe for a developing fetus to be exposed to it.

They test for everything under the sun when it comes to childbirth. Why would you assume they wouldn't do a drug test. There are certain states that legally can't test it but I'd be very surprised if those who legally can test aren't testing.

5. #85 SineDieDCLXVI, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2010
  6. Ha that is the funniest shit I have ever read. The FDA wouldn't pass a harmful drug. That is why you can see so many commercials talking about if a loved one has took this drug and died call now.

7. The list of drugs the FDA has approved that later turned out to be harmful is very, very long.

Every study done to date shows that cannabis is not harmful to the fetus. Smoking might be due to the other pollutants that enter the mother's bloodstream but cannabinoids are not.

You are either trolling or very, very naive and/or ignorant.

8. We'll see if your sentiments change at all when it's your child.

9. Why would they? That was a credible source with reliable information.

10. I acknowledge that there is a long list of drugs that turn out to be harmful, but comparing the medicine given to mothers to heroin because they are synthesized from the same source is a gross oversimplification.

I'm not trying to be a dick but if anyone has a link to the an actual study, not a link to an article which references a study, I'd love to see it.

11. #91 oldskoolgrower, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2010
    Most of the studies I've seen are in pay only journals. There is some evidence that it can inhibit implantation, but that is prior to actual pregnancy per se. This study seems to suggest the effects on implantation: http://www.biolreprod.org/content/58/6/1490.full.pdf

I haven't really analyzed their findings but it was easily found with a quick Google, which you could also do. I'm really too busy to go digging through old journal links for you :)

A trip to any good library can yield wonders too, rather than just asking 'show me'.

12. I wish I could negative rep the OP for this but it isnt his child... Fucking society people....:mad:

13. where is your proof sir? or are you just saying its wrong because you think it probably might be...

14. He is wrong. The only long term studies on humans done that I've read were done in Jamaica and Costa Rica, where the indigenous population tends to use lots of cannabis. No increase in birth defects or mental retardation were found.

EDIT: Again though, smoking anything is not good for the fetus due to the increased levels of carbon monoxide in the mother's blood. If a pregnant woman wants to use cannabis judiciously they should vape or eat it.

15. Well, when I went in for my first appointment after I found I was pregnant, they tested me. At which point I was told that recreational drug use of any sort is never recommended during pregnancy.
    Because of that positive test, they tested my son when he was born. I was clean, so it wasn't a big deal.
    If they have no reason to suspicious, they probably wont test her (or in this case, the baby, which involves taking stool and urine samples....)

16. My mother was very open in telling me that she couldn't remember a time during her 1st and most of the 2nd trimester with me when she wasn't stoned. And she was very open with her OB about it.
    Was lucky enough to live in a stable household where CPS wasn't involved. Just so happens that my parents were high for most of my childhood. They're married, hold steady jobs, etc.
    I'm in grad school for a biological science-based degree, so I'm not too messed up in the head...
    Personally, I've never been pregnant, but a few friends that have kids haven't had issues. I'm pretty sure unless you've given them a reason to drug test you, they wont.

17. sassy, did u have to authorize the testing?

18. How about we stop whining about personal choice and start focusing on the facts of what's going to happen to the baby as a result of what she's doing? Try using google.

Let me google that for you

19. thc in the blodd transfers to baby, without the negative physical effects.
    just the affects on the cannibinoid neurotransmitters is all.

20. Morphine is made from the poppy plant.