Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Do females experience being stoned/high differently than males?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by DeathMadeTangible, Apr 4, 2014.

1. I know that women are naturally at a higher rate of getting psychological disorders, but does this translate into potentially negative pot-related experiences?

2. Scientifically, males and females almost have the same brain regions, but there are some significant differences.

The differences are: Hormones such as Estrogen (greater abundance in females) , Oxytocin (in women, this feeling of connection reduces stress), Progesterone, Cortisol, Vasopressin, Serotonin (females have about 30% more serotonin than males, women who ovaries make the most estrogen and progesterone are more resistant to stress because they have more serotonin). Brain areas such as Hippocampus (Larger and more active in the female; also estrogen sensitive and is a relay station for processing memories into words), Anterior Cingulate Cortex (labeled as the "worrywart" center of the female brain), Genitals, Prefrontal cortex (larger and matures faster which means they seek for solutions when in conflict)  are more expansive in the female brain than in males. Also, the amygdala in females in influenced by the hormes of Estrogen, Progesterone, Serotonine, Cortisol, Vasopressin so that could factor in.

Psychological disorders are caused by biological and environmental factors, but Cannabis could temporaily treat these symptoms at a short period, but to eradicate--you would need a long term solution.

3. (Only speaking from experience) Women always seem to get overly giggly or overly emotional and cry. I hate it. Men just take their hit and sit back and relax. Not to sound sexist but I've only smoked with one girl who could handle it well.

4. Ive noticed the same. I think this could make for a very interesting large population study.

Sent from my Potato using Grasscity Forum

5. im giggly as fuck i dont give a shit. dont smoke with me if u dont want someone hella happy around u tbh. mayb this is why i only smoke w/ girls~~

Do you have a source for this info? 

7. I think girls have more extreme hypomania/mania than guys. But I'm not a nuclear medicist

Omega369

8. Some girls turn into nymphos, some don't.

Sent from your mom's phone.

9. I've seen some guys get over emotional, freak out about small things and get all giggly as well. From my observations I think it's more about the maturity of the person and if they are a beginner or not. As a female I take a hit and relax; I can't think of a time where I've acted like you've described but I've seen it with this one girl I used to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

Millions of women can handle cannabis as well as their male counterparts. An Atlantic article, Marijuana and the Modern Lady, intelligently discusses women and their cannabis use, including a history of commonly held stereotypes, like yours

11. I think we'd need someone who has experienced being born as each sex (and not both).

I've toked with plenty of females who seemed to be experiencing something very similar, if not identical to what i do... no bizarre behavioral shifts, no histrionics or shenanigans... just high/stoned and chill, and more likely to laugh at anything, and more likely to just disregard things that don't need to be immediately dealt with, etc.

However, this is not the case in my experiences with alcohol. There seems to be a disproportionate amount of females who completely lose their ability to discern "right and wrong" while drunk, and who then use the excuse "i didn't know what i was doing because i was drunk!" as if that should be an acceptable excuse for irresponsible and dangerous behaviors. Yes i have seen males do this as well, but the point was, in my experience, this effect seems to disproportionately more frequently affect females. But maybe that's just my sample from my region(s), and isn't indicative of the entire populous. Regardless of sex or gender role, people are still responsible for their actions, and are responsible for consuming anything that may alter their behavior. If you consume anything that makes you have no idea what you're doing... that's your fault, and so is anything you do while unaware and out of control. The only time "i didn't know what i was doing" is a valid excuse, is the very first time.

Personally, i've never been one of those people who "blacks out" when drinking. I've always remained self aware, even at my drunkest... all the way up until losing consciousness entirely. I don't drink anymore at all, but i was always one of those "i know exactly what i'm doing while drunk" people... and am fully aware of my degree of impairment, and almost always remembered everything i did (there were a couple times i lost the last few minutes or so, prior to loss of consciousness... but that's expected). I've encountered plenty of people who clearly have no awareness of their degree of impairment, which i always found both baffling and fascinating.

Maybe that has something to do with the degree and duration of maintaining false behavioral patterns, in order to please others in one's environment. Maybe those who are more themselves, more often, don't suddenly become someone else... whereas those who spend most of their waking lives pretending to be someone else, for the sake of social compatibility, are most likely to "have no idea what they're doing" while inebriated.

12. I've read a few articles about estrogen levels affecting cannabis potency.

Here is a good blog post about it:

"Estrogen appears to play a two-fold effect in cannabis messaging within the brain. First, it increases the conversion of THC to active THC. This means that after THC consumption, more active THC will be produced when estrogen levels are high such as during the pre-ovulatory peak; thus less cannabis may be needed to produce the same effects. Secondly, it changes the availability and excitability of receptors. Since the therapeutic effects of cannabis occur through activation of receptors, the variability in receptors alters the ability of active THC to produce effects such as pain relief, sedation and euphoria. In modern medicine proper dosage is central to the effectiveness of the treatment. So is the case with medical marijuana. This makes understanding the variability in cannabis potency across the menstrual cycle important. This means women may need to experiment with their dosage at different menstrual cycle time points."

http://cornerstonecollective.com/sex-hormones-and-cannabis-potency/

No kidding, lol 
    How should we know, I know one thing, men and women might well be equal but we are not the same. Its been proven it takes less alcohol to get a women drunk, usually cause they have less body  weight but also their bodies break down the alcohol differently.

For all we know, females might get more out of weed, they get more of a buzz ? Maybe thats why they laugh more ? I've smoked weed that gave me the giggles but not that often and not in the last 25 years. Was this Hawaiian bud they called it, went for $10 a gram when you could have gotten a 1/4 for $40, so like I only had it a few times but each time I flipped out a bit....it was spread out over a few years with different sellers, so I don;t believe the bud was laced with anything but there was no testing of weed back then   

14. BTW I've seen many women handle their bud better then the males. Like  over at Vapor Central, these chicks come in, sit down all by themselves at a table, some rent bongs, others have their own pipe or use a vaporizer . They just sit there crushing their bud and getting high for 15-30 mins and leave. They are so neat and quiet..and clean. The guys take  these huge bong hits and cough like crazy, talk loudly at their friends or shout at the TV ....U see all types of people, some dudes also just sit quietly by themselves and just get stone..everybody is different 

15. Interesting question, but my gf says that she gets a different high every time she smokes while I just feel the specific effects for the strain of cannabis im consuming

Girl scout cookies 😌