Do extension cords reduce light output?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Delta223, May 22, 2010.

1. I need to route power from another room and can't cut holes into the walls (I'm in an apartment). This will require about 30-40 feet of extension cords to my lights. Is this going to cause a substantial drop in the lumen output of the lights?

2. no... itll stay at the same level. lighting wire is usually 14 gauge... extension cords are made of 12 gauge threaded wire... its a thicker gauge so it can hold the same, if not more power..

3. @soulClinic, great resource.
    I needed to get the brush's replaced in a 4.5" angle grinder, so I
    dropped all 4 of them off at the repair shop.
    When I picked them up the counter guy said he could tell I use long
    extension cords with them, he advised the brush's will last longer if
    I use the shortest extension I can get away with-now
    I understand why.
    Thanx,
    S.S.

4. Glad I could help bro. Couldn't finish reading the whole thing myself but hopefully it will benefit some.

5. hey i dint read that detailed explanation so i may be reapeating stuff you know, but simple answer is yes. a 1000 watt high pressure sodium will pull a certain amps at a specific volt ( usually 120 or 240) there 14 guage cords are designed to rate with that amperage, and most extention cords will not pull it properly, especially over 30 feet. you can howerver build an extension cord that will work, you will need at least 12 guage if you plan on running it that far, because a 14 guage pulling the wattage of a flowering room will most likely get too hot, and can start a fire. most apartments arn't rated for serious wattage in a single room. most of my breakers were 15 amp and would not hold 4 1000 hps lights, i had to run a 12 guage with a 240 volt dryer plug ( the only 60 amp breaker in my apartment) from my laundry room to a breaker box in my flowering roomwith four 15 amp 120 volt breakers. other rooms did have enough amps to run two 400 watt metal halides and 4 125watt CFL. messing with electricity is risky in an appartment, make sure you pay carful attention to your wireing the last thing anyone needs is a fire. im sorry i cant give any references on wiring i had to call electritians to be certain myself. good luck

6. Yep it does.
    Friction. The longer the cord the more the friction over the entire length. Power lose is directly proportional to the length of the cord.

7. Hehe I am an electrical engineer :cool: its not friction its resistence. The metal wire has resistance, current is equal to voltage/resistance so as resistance increase current will decrease (voltage will stay the same)

Get the 15 amp baller cord

8. All one in the same

Electrical resistance is something like friction in that it is a macroscopic phenomenon that is non-conservative, that is, it converts potential energy to heat. Electrical resistance can be thought of as the "friction" on the movement of electrons in a wire.