Do any of you 400 watt growers use CFLs?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by JackHerer34, Feb 18, 2013.

1. This is my first grow with a decent light. Have had several nice little grows with my 150 watt sun system. Got a little confidence and decided to upgrade to a 400 watt system. Only 2 plants under it and are about 4.5 weeks into flower. Very cool temps right now so I'm able to have this light within about 8 inches of the tops. granted i'm not growing the Jack right now, but i'm just not noticing these trichomes explode like they did under my 150. I think part of that has to do with me not adding any blue spectrum this time around. I figured with this upgrade I wouldn't need side lighting, but I'm starting to think that adding some CFL bulbs and getting some blue spectrum in there would be a good idea. I mean they look good, and still have about another month to go, but i can't tell if the mixed spectrum helps develop more trichomes, or if they just seem to look frostier under a cooler light...?

Have any of you noticed an increase in trich production when you use a mixed spectrum?

2. Cfl won't add trichs it's not the blue spectrum it's the extra uv that the metal halide bulb emits

3. If you can get a little 250 watt metal halide and thhrow it on the side man your nugs will look lots better

4. Or some UVB 10.0 bulbs just don't leave them on i have mine on a timer for 15 minutes on 15 minutes off for eight hours so as to not over expose my plants to t because to much is a bad thing

5. Yeah that's not really an option right now. i have a 400 watt switchable ballast. So i have a 400 MH bulb, just no way to set it up. This is also the first grow i've ever used MH and my other grows always seemed to be exploding with trichomes by this time. It may be genetics, I usually keep some Jack Herer which is always frosty as hell, but unfortunately lost the genetics. But, just going from experience it seemed like the colas in my previous grows that had a blue CFL directly on them in addition to an HPS looked like they were just dripping with trichs, and these just seem to be kinda average.

So what is the main advantage of using a mixed spectrum in flower?