Do Animals Have Races?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr StraightEdge, Nov 9, 2007.

1. It seems like humans are the only animals that have races. Do animals have this?

2. Well, they have coat colors... Yellow/Choc./Black lab dogs... Might be the equivelent.

3. Most animals have classes or breeds...race implies humanity, but a lot of different animals either have classifications to be put in or they have distinctions in color (frist would be like black lab vs. terrier, second would be like red vs. black ants)

4. Yea they do like an above poster said they are breeds. Like if you get all german shepards and breed them you get all german shepards. If you get a german shepard and a golden retreiver youll get a mix between the two. This is much the same as two white people will have white kids, whereas a white and black person will have a kid is darker than "white" but lighter than "black", and im not trying to sound racist and call them a mix or anything but thats basically how breeds and races work.

5. <TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">To answer this question, you need to define both race and species. Is there really a difference between the two? Take dogs for example. There are many different types of dogs, many different species, but are they really that different? There are dogs like boxers, pugs, black/yellow labs, which are all different species. But theyre not very different, only their appearance is. There are also different kinds of humans, black, white, yellow (sorry, just had to, no offense meant :) ). So are our 'races' just a better word for species?

If anyone can prove me wrong then i will stand corrected, because this is just how i've seen this topic for my entire life. This isn't based on any facts.
    </TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

6. Well, here in sweden both breed and race is the same word :p "ras" I haven't really thought about it.. i guess so?

7. Only their appearance? I don't think so. If you've dealt with different species of dog you can easily tell a difference in physical characteristics, as well as cognitive difference. All dogs have different temperaments and traits linked in ancestry. They're bread for this reason, hunting dogs, hounds, pointers, retrievers, toy dogs, whatever. It's all in genetics. The reason for a classification system is to see their similarities and how unique the are.

8. Then i stand corrected.

9. all i know is i've seen black, white, and grey squirrels....

:smoke:

edit: when i first opened this up i assumed you meant like "running" races

10. Different breeds of dogs are not separate species, separate species can't mate (with a few exceptions like ligers etc.) From wikipedia: ,"In biology, a species is one of the basic units of biological classification. A species is often defined as a group of organisms capable of interbreeding and producing fertile offspring." In other words if they can produce offspring together they must be the same species...

11. there is NO such thing as race in humans or any animal.

12. 1: a breeding stock of animals
    2 a: a family, tribe, people, or nation belonging to the same stock b: a class or kind of people unified by shared interests, habits, or characteristics
    3 a: an actually or potentially interbreeding group within a species; also : a taxonomic category (as a subspecies) representing such a group b: breed c: a category of humankind that shares certain distinctive physical traits
    4obsolete : inherited temperament or disposition
    5: distinctive flavor, taste, or strength

You can't just dismiss the meaning of something because you don't agree with it. It's against evolution and socialization.

13. Well, one time I got three snails, wrote numbers on their shells, lined them up and placed bets on them with friends....so yes; I guess animals do have races.

:hello:

14. race and breed are basically the same thing, ever heard anybody called an inbred before?

i was gonna say species is like race, but i suppose thats a lil different now that i think of it